Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly a month ago today I received my 63 plate Leaf with 10 miles on the clock and I have today just reached 1000 miles. Having a pretty normal month motoring wise it has been a great experience driving the Leaf and have just worked out I have spent ~£22 on electricity as opposed to £130 on fuel I would have spend on the old ICE. Nice...

I have experienced the range thing and is now put to bed and look forward to the commute and enjoy driving again! Tonight I also experienced the smugness of sat in a queue on the M62 using hardly any energy at all whilst all around had boiling ICE's :)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Excellent feeling isnt it!

I take it your on economy 7. What is your daily commute if you was worried about the range?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent feeling isnt it!

I take it your on economy 7. What is your daily commute if you was worried about the range?
Yes a great feeling and after the first couple of weeks wrestling if we had done the right thing I now know its the way to go.

Not on E7 just yet but had a few cheeky free charges on GMEV and Ecotricity while out and about :)

My commute is only 25 miles each way so never a worry but we had a few trips out of 60 miles plus and had to recharge on the return all within a few days of starting to use the car. Also our new EV connectors type 2 cable failed at the Trafford centre and had to grab a charge from a 13 socket at my parents. All a learning experience but never once felt stranded. So once you learn to deal with reason everything is just fine. I love it!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Ah my commute is also 25 miles each way. 50 miles is easy for the LEAF. Even with my fairly heavy foot :)

That's strange I've never heard of the type 2 cable failing. Have you tried the cable on a different charge station?

At least you had the 3 pin plug to save the day. Hopefully in years to come we will see an abundance of rapid chargers even if you have to pay a premium to use them - just to get you out of a sticky situation.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Having 2000 miles within nearly a month(4 weeks on Tuesday) with my iOn:) and tomorrow night off to Cornwall :)
Addictive isn't it. I'm traveling from Manchester airport next week which is 400 mile round trip. The easy option is to take the girlfriends petrol car. But where's the fun in that. It's hard to turn down a 400 mile round trip in my LEAF using the ecotricity rapids for a total cost of about £2.50 :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Addictive isn't it. I'm traveling from Manchester airport next week which is 400 mile round trip. The easy option is to take the girlfriends petrol car. But where's the fun in that. It's hard to turn down a 400 mile round trip in my LEAF using the ecotricity rapids for a total cost of about £2.50 :)
If it were just down to me I would relish the challenge for a trip like that. My wife and I like to walk in the Lake District and is 'just' within driving distance from where we live but with the hilly motorway and no contingency rapids is just too risky at the moment. I am waiting for the RCN (Rapid charge network) to populate the M6 north of Preston with rapids before trying this trip.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah my commute is also 25 miles each way. 50 miles is easy for the LEAF. Even with my fairly heavy foot :)

That's strange I've never heard of the type 2 cable failing. Have you tried the cable on a different charge station?

At least you had the 3 pin plug to save the day. Hopefully in years to come we will see an abundance of rapid chargers even if you have to pay a premium to use them - just to get you out of a sticky situation.
The type 2 cable was faulty and was returned to EV who repaired it. It was a bit frustrating but EV were great and sorted it quickly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Glad to hear long journeys aren't too daunting. I've got a 75 mile motorway trip to get my Leaf home from south east London to the coast of West Sussex! I'm slightly nervous! Excited about picking it up though! ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You will be able to do that in one trip on the condition you keep your speed down.

Why not stop somewhere for a quick rapid charge or an hour level 2 charge just to boost your confident.

Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
You will be able to do that in one trip on the condition you keep your speed down.

Why not stop somewhere for a quick rapid charge or an hour level 2 charge just to boost your confident.

Good luck!
I'm lucky in that we have a choice of 3 rapids en route so we'll definitely stop at least twice, to be on the safe side. Especially since I don't have my home charger installed yet. Sadly I've got a bit of a lead foot when it comes to speed but I am going to try! ;)

Reactions: Dean Hamer

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I've got a leaf on 7 day test drive atm and am largely enjoying it. Similarities with the Ampera but also subtle differences.

It's a nippy thing and climbs up the speed range quickly, but boy what a difference doing 70 does to your range! Also, I really dislike the eco mode. I'm sure it takes some getting used to but I don't like the idea that I might need a turn of speed and it's not there. Obviously once you are at your cruising speed it makes no difference on energy use if you engage cruise control. So in summary, I'm not going to use eco.

Am attempting a long trip tomorrow to the Great Malvern event so that will be interesting.

Have to say though, if the Ampera had rapid charging functionality, a la Outlander, then it would be the perfect vehicle for my needs.

Reactions: AndyG

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Have to say though, if the Ampera had rapid charging functionality, a la Outlander, then it would be the perfect vehicle for my needs.

It makes me sad:(, if Vauxhall had been bothered with the car how many would be on the road today?
You only have to look at Outlander sales to see how the Ampera/Volt should have been marketed and at what price.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadly I've got a bit of a lead foot when it comes to speed but I am going to try! ;)
Sadly the Leaf's Achilles heal; its not a fast motorway car. But my commute on the M60/62 with a 50 mph speed restriction for the next 3 years is just perfect :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
The only thing I'm worried about - charger anxiety, not range anxiety. I will be having a gap between RC (from m42 to m5) of 52 miles. I will try to stick behind the lorry to save some range there as never tested the car in going so far on motorway with one additional person and the luggage..

·
Registered
456 Posts
@AndrewR yes, it is addictive. I remember my first ICE car 13 years ago, I've been going to petrol station "for the chocolate bar", now I'm going for the tea to services and for a charge :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The only thing I'm worried about - charger anxiety, not range anxiety. I will be having a gap between RC (from m42 to m5) of 52 miles. I will try to stick behind the lorry to save some range there as never tested the car in going so far on motorway with one additional person and the luggage..
52 miles should be easy. If you drive at about 50mph and make sure you don't have rapid acceleration or deceleration, in good weather conditions you ought to get about 1 mile per 1% battery charge. If the weather is bad you might use about 10% more electricity.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've had my Leaf almost a year now (23000 miles) and the 'novelty' still hasn't gone away.

With the amount of cars I've bought and sold over the last 10 years, the new (to me!) car honeymoon period was always fun but generally wore off after a few weeks, usually being replaced with a 'what's that noise?' during a cruise.

Not so with the Leaf. It's still brilliant to drive. It still inspires conversation & surprises people who go for a ride in it. It still feels like an increasingly sane choice for personal transportation. I stopped worrying about the 'limited' range months and months ago. It still makes ICE powered cars look and sound like machines shortly destined for a museum.

In many ways, the feelings it inspires are much like the ones I had when I got my first car (A G-plate 1 litre Nova Merit!).

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it were just down to me I would relish the challenge for a trip like that. My wife and I like to walk in the Lake District and is 'just' within driving distance from where we live but with the hilly motorway and no contingency rapids is just too risky at the moment. I am waiting for the RCN (Rapid charge network) to populate the M6 north of Preston with rapids before trying this trip.
hi - I've been thinking about the Lakes and I live not far from the Ecotricity Chargers at Charnock Richard. There is another Ecotricity charger at the Kendal exit but only southbound. But I believe you can exit north turn over the bridge and enter south to charge and then come out via the hotel entrance and then onto Kendal. There's a Mennekes charger at the Salutation Inn in Ambleside that you can use if you buy a cup of coffee. If you use it all before me then do let me know>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts