Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First MOT coming up tomorrow for my 30kwh 2018 Soul.
Anyone got any tales of woe or otherwise, things to watch out and brace myself for ?
Also having service done at same time.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,622 Posts
Brakes rusted is the most likely thing. Run it down a few big hills with the brakes on to clear the rust if nessacary.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,622 Posts
Brakes rusted is the most likely thing. Run it down a few big hills with the brakes on to clear the rust if nessacary.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
First MOT coming up tomorrow for my 30kwh 2018 Soul.
Anyone got any tales of woe or otherwise, things to watch out and brace myself for ?
Also having service done at same time.
Best to get the MOT and servce done separately. It removes any temptation from the dealer...

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best to get the MOT and servce done separately. It removes any temptation from the dealer...
Unfortunately they got me on this one.
I am about to take it our for a run to record a scan on the OBDII so I've got some info if they claim error codes.
All fluids full, lights working, windscreen wipers fine and tyres good ( although rears close now that I've rotated from front - should be ok though 🤞)

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I am about to take it our for a run to record a scan on the OBDII so I've got some info if they claim error codes.
All fluids full, lights working, windscreen wipers fine and tyres good ( although rears close now that I've rotated from front - should be ok though 🤞)
I asked for readings on SOH.
I requested no windscreen washer top-up because I don't want to mix their stuff with mine.
If you want a map update that is chargeable, £25 plus adds an hour or so.
I also requested that they advise of any software updates and get my authorisation before updating ( wouldn't work with a Tesla).
Cheers

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did a 500 mile round trip to Midlands last week so should be ok - did plenty of braking on 10.5 hour trip up there 😱😂
I asked for readings on SOH.
I requested no windscreen washer top-up because I don't want to mix their stuff with mine.
If you want a map update that is chargeable, £25 plus adds an hour or so.
I also requested that they advise of any software updates and get my authorisation before updating ( wouldn't work with a Tesla).
Cheers
Thanks for all that, very useful.
The OBDII KiaSoulSpy scan shows it as 100% SOH, so I'm happy with that, also individual cells seem fine.
Bit of a game getting the scan working, kept dropping out of bluetooth.
I'd set it up to concentrate on getting the reading, so had the radio off, didn't connect it to the USB port and placed it in the drinks holder so I could see it whilst driving. Eventually got fed up of it dropping out so reconnected it to the USB port and placed it under the radio - worked fine!!!.
Just topped the washer up so they couldn't get anymore in if they tried but I will leave a note on passenger seat. Will also request they DON'T rotate wheels as I did it a couple of weeks ago, and also to take care of not placing wheels face down when they take them off for brake checks as white plastic inserts have been painted black and I don't want them scratched any sooner than they have to be.
I use Waze via android auto. Have tried the integral car map but always end up back on Waze - think it's the free sweeties for reporting police / cars on side of road etcetc 😂 😂 .
I will also include the request about notifying me of software updates prior to applying them, but god knows what I'd do if they phoned up advising some required - just say yup, no probs no doubt.
They've even asked for the boot to be emptied as part of the preparation before dropping it off - keeping in mind this will be a general Kia service / MOT note, so covers ICE as well. Consequently I've taken all the space saver spare stuff out and reinstated the boot as per delivery so they can't blame all and sundry problems/failures / additional costs on that - you never know.

They have assured me that if any extra expense is to be incurred they will contact me prior to going ahead and not just do it (fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just topped the washer up so they couldn't get anymore in if they tried
Tried this in the past and they always charged. Should have challenged them but couldn’t be bothered. Shame on me.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They're trying one on with me...
I bought the 2 year service package offered for an extortionate £200 ( I was both excited AND confused when I bought the car)
My invitation to book my MOT with them stated that if I'd bought the service package I would be entitled to MOT @ £35 instead of £45. Ah well, small wins thought I.
Phoned up to book it in only to be told that offer must be taken up at the time the service plan is purchased. Now there's 2 problems with this....
1. Why would they bother telling me on the invite to use them for the MOT ?
2. I'd obviously have taken an offer of £10 off the price of the MOT, given that I paid the rip off price of £100 per service. The MOT would be a guaranteed saving (initially) whereas the service is a guaranteed rip-off.

In fact, there's a 3rd thing - the offer in the invitation to book the MOT with them merely stated that if I'd bought the service plan then I was entitled to the discounted MOT price - unconditional.

God I love capitalism!!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks y'all - got through no problems, even complimented on the excellent condition it's in - good job I hid the space saver first!!
They even went with the £35 rate when I produced the email from them saying it was a thing. Insisted on me reviewing them as a 10/10 on some site, somewhere.
They left a tiny complimentary bottle of summer screenwash, by way of response to me asking them not to top up the washer bottle :LOL: :LOL:
....and had ticked all the boxes including "charged to 100% prior to handling back to customer" when blatantly obviously not (78%) and "valeted prior to handing back to customer" - again, blatantly obviously not as I recognised the smears from me doing it yesterday, despite a few hours out in the rain between me dropping it off and picking it back up again :D:LOL:
:LOL:
Anyway, happy that that's it for another 12 months - space savers back in the right place and I'm good to go!
:D(y)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
By this do you mean that the rear tyres had lots of tread so you have put them on the front??

If so - NEVER EVER EVER do this.

See below for one of many reasons not to.

I lost a good friend in a horrible car crash that the inquest put down entirely to having new tyres fitted to the front with very low (but legal) tread on the rears. He lost the car in the wet on a sweeping fast bend, at around 55 mph and T-boned a tree - killed instantly. The rears aquaplaned and the fronts gripped - the car behind said they thought he span about 15 times before embedding in the tree.

The problem is, you can feel when the front tyres lose grip and begin to aquaplane through the steering and can adjust speed etc to allow for it - plus if they do aquaplane, at least you are going to run straight into the obstacle and airbags can do their thing - but if you aquaplane at the rear, by the time you realise it's way way too late.

What you have done is lethal - quite literally.

Traction and stability controls cannot prevent this kind of accident as they apply brakes to individual wheels, but no good applying brakes to a wheel that has already lost traction.

Every single tyre manufacturer says have the deepest tread on the rear wheels unless you cant due to offset wheel / tyre combo.

Please change them back IMMEDIATELY - at least that way you are far less likely to be killed.

Please....

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, never heard of this before. Always done it. Even the manual recommends it.
I will get straight on it though and get a new pair on the rear, as they are now the ones with the least tread.
I'll check the vids out later.
Just watching Death ( coincidentally) on the TV.

I have heard about cruise control causing really bad accidents when used in the rain.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The issue is, you can feel a loss of control / grip on the front. On the rear there is no sensation through the steering at all..... Hit even a relatively shallow puddle and the front tyres may be perfectly fine, but if the rears aquaplane and you happen to be anything other than 100% straight, you will lose the back end.

On a low speed, gentle curve, you might, just might, catch it........

Tiff Needell, who I think we can all agree is a decent driver did a piece on it on Fifth Gear (But despite searching You Tube I can't find it) - He did the same test as the other videos above - 2 cars one with new on front one with new on rear - and he could not hold it at 40 mph on a damp / wet track when he knew it was going to happen - and if he can't hold it I'm pretty sure I couldn't on a dark night when I just want to get home...........

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
A few years ago I did a skid pan session. Absolute hoot, highly recommended. The aim was to learn better car control and how to correct a loss of grip. There are various ways the loss of grip is achieved, some places use a jig thing that lifts the car wheels. The place I used put well used, over inflated tyres on the rear, a wet track and speed to make it step out…. Boy did it step out.

The fella running the session made the point that good rear tyres are critical on any car, especially a front wheel drive.

as an aside I’d recommend anyone does a skid pan session. Huge fun and a fantastic way to learn how to recover a loss of grip in a safe environment. I’d previously had a near miss on a country road, came round a corner, hit lots of mud dragged out by a tractor, started to slide. I was aware I did pretty much everything wrong, hit the brakes hard, no opposite lock. Practicing what to do in a more controlled environment was invaluable.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Wow, never heard of this before. Always done it. Even the manual recommends it.
I will get straight on it though and get a new pair on the rear, as they are now the ones with the least tread.
I'll check the vids out later.
Just watching Death ( coincidentally) on the TV.

I have heard about cruise control causing really bad accidents when used in the rain.
Ignore all that cr&p. Most if it total claptrap oldwives tales.
Please don't equate tyre grip front to rear with DEATH which is what the previous poster is getting strung up about.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
The issue is, you can feel a loss of control / grip on the front. On the rear there is no sensation through the steering at all..... Hit even a relatively shallow puddle and the front tyres may be perfectly fine, but if the rears aquaplane and you happen to be anything other than 100% straight, you will lose the back end.

On a low speed, gentle curve, you might, just might, catch it........

Tiff Needell, who I think we can all agree is a decent driver did a piece on it on Fifth Gear (But despite searching You Tube I can't find it) - He did the same test as the other videos above - 2 cars one with new on front one with new on rear - and he could not hold it at 40 mph on a damp / wet track when he knew it was going to happen - and if he can't hold it I'm pretty sure I couldn't on a dark night when I just want to get home...........
Total bollxcts.

Please don't spread this rubbish on an internet forum

Primary principle of driving safely is to drive to the conditions.

If you don't have brand new tyres or at least ones with more than 6mm tread FRONT AND REAR, your grip will be compromised

Note, puddles do not equal aquaplaning, know the difference, drive safely and to the conditions!!!

Lots of scenarios exist where losing from end grip can cause an accident, ESPECIALLY with front wheel drive ELECTRIC cars with REGEN.

Again, know your car, drive to the conditions.

Quick question, how many posters observe temporary 30mph speed restrictions when driving on country roads that have been surface dressed with tar & stone chips? Drive to the conditions ( and legal restrictions eh)!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
Ignore all that cr&p. Most if it total claptrap oldwives tales.
Please don't equate tyre grip front to rear with DEATH which is what the previous poster is getting strung up about.
I’m still trying to visualise a car spinning 15 times between losing grip and hitting a tree…

Also, why can this ESSENTIAL life saving advice that MUST be followed to avoid DEATH be safely ignored if your car has a staggered setup?

As you say, drive to the conditions is the best safety advice ever.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I’m still trying to visualise a car spinning 15 times between losing grip and hitting a tree…

Also, why can this ESSENTIAL life saving advice that MUST be followed to avoid DEATH be safely ignored if your car has a staggered setup?

As you say, drive to the conditions is the best safety advice ever.
Hi Tooks, best safety advice is to stay home if there is any chance of rain, moisture, mud on the roads, not to mention snow shock horror. Then if you must leave the house in dangerous, deathly conditions, please ensure that both front and rear tyres are at least 6mm tread depth, same age, same temperature etc. Anything less might induce spontaneous loss of control at the mere hint of a corner!

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Tooks, best safety advice is to stay home if there is any chance of rain, moisture, mud on the roads, not to mention snow shock horror. Then if you must leave the house in dangerous, deathly conditions, please ensure that both front and rear tyres are at least 6mm tread depth, same age, same temperature etc. Anything less might induce spontaneous loss of control at the mere hint of a corner!
Ah, that's where I went wrong 😂
( Note to self - add to Brexit, Covid-19 list 😉👍)

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Total bollxcts.

Please don't spread this rubbish on an internet forum

Primary principle of driving safely is to drive to the conditions.

If you don't have brand new tyres or at least ones with more than 6mm tread FRONT AND REAR, your grip will be compromised

Note, puddles do not equal aquaplaning, know the difference, drive safely and to the conditions!!!

Lots of scenarios exist where losing from end grip can cause an accident, ESPECIALLY with front wheel drive ELECTRIC cars with REGEN.

Again, know your car, drive to the conditions.

Quick question, how many posters observe temporary 30mph speed restrictions when driving on country roads that have been surface dressed with tar & stone chips? Drive to the conditions ( and legal restrictions eh)!
I do, I do !! 🖐😀 - big fan of driving to the conditions.
Guessing the regen thing is like the cruise control thing ? ( Don't use it where grip is potentially excessively compromised )

1 - 20 of 36 Posts