Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the first motorway run today. Cardiff to Cheltenham for a day trip. 142 mile round trip. M4 & M5N.
Speed restricted on the Welsh side leading up to the Severn Bridge (a lot of 50mph) but M5 no hold ups. Sustained indicated 70mph for most of M5. (Not sure how accurate the Speedo is?) Efficiency stayed at 3.5mi/kWh. Still mild though. 17-21 degC. No rain. Not windy. No congestion.
Whole journey -indicated efficiency 3.5mi/kWh. Started with 95% battery. Returned home with 39%. 56% battery used.
Theoretical DTE with full battery 252 miles. Not bad.
Winter temps & poor conditions will hammer the efficiency.
Overall indicated efficiency after 10 days of mixed driving : 3.6mi/kWh.
It should therefore make my Cardiff to London regular trip no problem for now (185.5 miles).
And as long as plenty of fast charging options coming, no real worries travelling long distance. Yes the efficiency could be better eg-nearer or over 4.0mi/kWh but ok for now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the post of real world range and efficiency. We had a test drive of a 5, and as an owner of a 28kWh Ioniq, I was disappointed that Hyundai havn't continued with their really efficient design, as we could only get 3.7mi/kWh of mixed motoring. Were you happy with the speedometer in upper left position, or did you find a button to get it in the centre of the screen?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Hoping that the heat pump will help to reduce the winter issues... I am currently getting a little bit more real-world range with the I5 than I did with the M3P, but haven't driven the car in really bad conditions yet.

The speedo position is really stupid IMO, especially given that there is plenty of space for the speedo in the middle of the screen. It's not even a case of "beauty over utility" either - it just looks pants, and is in the wrong place. Fortunately I also have a speedo in the HUD, so rarely need look at the driver's screen.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post of real world range and efficiency. We had a test drive of a 5, and as an owner of a 28kWh Ioniq, I was disappointed that Hyundai havn't continued with their really efficient design, as we could only get 3.7mi/kWh of mixed motoring. Were you happy with the speedometer in upper left position, or did you find a button to get it in the centre of the screen?
The Speedo position could definitely be better. Seems to be tucked up,for me, just inside the left hand upper rim of the steering wheel. So not CLEARLY visible. They only really need to move it a few mm inwards towards the centre as the graphic representing range on the left side is not needed really. However as Jimbo had already we have the HUD on the P45 which I find is excellent.
And as Jimbo also says I am hoping the heat pump in the P45 helps out a bit with winter efficiency. Will keep you posted as autumn turns to winter.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,281 Posts
That sounds kinda low for efficiency. Especially as the Koreans seemed, based on claims I've seen on here, to have efficiency nailed with owners consistently claiming 4.5+mpkWh in summer motorway conditions.

Reactions: Petriix

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
That sounds kinda low for efficiency. Especially as the Koreans seemed, based on claims I've seen on here, to have efficiency nailed with owners consistently claiming 4.5+mpkWh in summer motorway conditions.
Maybe unit confusion? They use km/kWh in Korea.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I did 260 miles at 3.5 miles per kWh in my Soul 64 at the weekend all but 40 miles were on the motorway with the ACC set at 72mph, so for a bigger car I don't think the numbers are that bad (the Soul is probably a good comparator given its boxy shape), I should note I'd left my roof bars on as well, so that probably didn't help either. But I'm not as shocked by the IONIQ 5 numbers as some seem to be.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Speedo position could definitely be better. Seems to be tucked up,for me, just inside the left hand upper rim of the steering wheel. So not CLEARLY visible. They only really need to move it a few mm inwards towards the centre as the graphic representing range on the left side is not needed really. However as Jimbo had already we have the HUD on the P45 which I find is excellent.
And as Jimbo also says I am hoping the heat pump in the P45 helps out a bit with winter efficiency. Will keep you posted as autumn turns to winter.
I believe the HUD is only available on the more expensive models, or this early special P45. So anyone purchasing a cheaper model would certainly want the speedo more visible.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully they can sort via an update. It is odd to have such a huge display and then tuck important info towards the periphery of the screen. There should always be an option to have the speedo front and centre. You can display various things in the centre: Efficiency readings, sat-nav guidance, tyre pressure info etc. Seems an odd omission.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Both of the KIA Stingers I had, had the facility to add a digital speed display in the centre Between the analog Speedo and Rev counter, made it easier to glance down to see the speed (granted it was in the HUD as well) but it just makes so much sense. It also changed to Italic Text display when you went into sports mode :)

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
94 Posts
LooSomething odd there for summer driving in a vehicle that is normally seen as more efficient than a soul.

These were the last two motorway trips I made (M1/M6 and M6/M62/M1) averaging around 65mph because of the long stretches of 60mph limit - about 20miles of non-motorway on each trip
Computer Audio equipment Font Audio receiver Gadget
Computer Audio equipment Font Audio receiver Gadget

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Efficiency readings so good, you posted them twice😀😀.
Pretty amazing efficiency it has to be said.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,622 Posts
Picked up our RWD Ultimate eco and tech packs today and got 4.2 over 90 miles of B roads at speed limits and then 3.4 over 70 miles of dual carriageway at 75mph, half of it in rain, no hold ups. A/C at 21 all the way. Quite happy with that really. Surprised how small some of the dash symbols and writing was, and agree daft positioning of the speedo. Without the HUD display it could be a dealbreaker for some.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Watching this thread with interest as I'm going from 2 cars to 1 and having test driven the ubiquitous Premium every dealer has and then seeing a P45 the next day (Watford Tesco on Sunday the 5th, was that some one here ?) I'm tempted but range is an issue for me (and before anyone asks I've now done 16 200mile+ trips in my Zoe50). Annoying for me the bits I want all come with the Ultimate spec car, however you can only get 20" wheels on that, so lose out on the comfort of the smaller rims/bigger side walls of the 19" wheels, plus Hyundai themselves reckon an 18 mile drop in range with the 73 kWh battery.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
94 Posts
Efficiency readings so good, you posted them twice😀😀.
Pretty amazing efficiency it has to be said.
sorry - was posting from mobile :(
- Better than i'd expected but it was a warm week - temperatures around 23c - my annual average is 4.3 - spot on WLTP but most of my driving is urban.
given the ioniq WLTP and Hyundai/Kia seem to be honest with their numbers & given it's summer then the original poster's numbers do seem low - I'd have expected 4.0 at least.

the Soul is probably a good comparator given its boxy shape
The soul usually gets critiqued as aerodynamically weak - I have found that on a 30ml M1 round trip that I do every Friday evening - if I'm suffering from a noticeable headwind degradation on the way down then I get a noticeable tailwind uplift on the way back - the average seems to be maintained. :)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,184 Posts
The soul usually gets critiqued as aerodynamically weak - I have found that on a 30ml M1 round trip that I do every Friday evening - if I'm suffering from a noticeable headwind degradation on the way down then I get a noticeable tailwind uplift on the way back - the average seems to be maintained. :)
Whilst that may be true for headwinds/tailwinds, you can’t get around the fact that aero plays a part in even still air.

I’m not sure that people should be surprised that a bigger, more powerful EV will achieve less miles per kWh than an existing small SUV shape.

Time to adjust expectations I think.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
451 Posts
I thought the advertised range was 316 miles, it won't achieve that at those sort of efficiency figures

1 - 20 of 47 Posts