Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,524 Posts
Bjørn’s tests got 180 miles at a constant real 74.5mph, and 286 miles at a constant 56mph.

(In dry, 20-25°C conditions)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,428 Posts
The tailwind will not compensate for the headwind on the way back, Interestingly, even the side wind has significant impact on consumption:
Yes, there’s lots more going on with aero than just wind direction and speed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have ordered a AWD version with the tech and eco pack as it was the only one I could get in Lucid Blue with the grey interior!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for the data. To be worth changing for us, this car would need to do 240 miles motorway round-trip to relatives. We have a Model S and an Ioniq electric. I'm glad I held off now.
I think the car looks amazing in the flesh although the boot is disappointingly shallow, and having got used to a frunk for a large bag, it's a shame when this car barely has one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the data. To be worth changing for us, this car would need to do 240 miles motorway round-trip to relatives. We have a Model S and an Ioniq electric. I'm glad I held off now.
I think the car looks amazing in the flesh although the boot is disappointingly shallow, and having got used to a frunk for a large bag, it's a shame when this car barely has one.
Only the 4WD versions do not have a big frunk. Rear wheel drive versions have a very big and useable frunk. It’s certainly no Model S for range but fit,finish and materials, refinement and tech including charging tech are a cut above.

·
Registered
158 Posts
@dapprman Why are you not getting a RWD 73kwh in ultimate trim. You'll save your 18mile range then. (thats the one i've leased)
It's the one I'm considering. The 18 mile difference is between 73kWh cars with 19" wheels and 20" wheels. Annoyingly having looked else where in France and Belgium you can get the top spec car both with the option for 19" wheels and the vision roof (which was one of the original attractions of the car for me),

·
Registered
425 Posts
I collected my RWD Premium on 19" wheels yesterday. I've done about 40 miles in it so far, a mix of 70, 60, 50, 40 and 30 roads, mainly in 21 degree temps. It reckons it's doing 4.1 miles per kwh, which I can live with.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The two dealers I’ve spoken to have said they will swap 20” wheels for 19” wheels on request. BUT the lease company said no as it will affect resale values. People looking for a used ultimate will want the 20” wheels.

I‘m probably going to go as small as possible aftermarket aero wheels with Michelin X-climates on. Yes, it will look a bit ‘on stilts’ but it should be optimal for both economy/range and winter driving.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As well as the economy, ride was a factor for me. The ride on the 19’s is acceptable but I wouldn’t want it any firmer. I think the 20’s look great but I had to have the 19’s for those reasons.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The two dealers I’ve spoken to have said they will swap 20” wheels for 19” wheels on request. BUT the lease company said no as it will affect resale values. People looking for a used ultimate will want the 20” wheels.

I‘m probably going to go as small as possible aftermarket aero wheels with Michelin X-climates on. Yes, it will look a bit ‘on stilts’ but it should be optimal for both economy/range and winter driving.
I am standing by to be corrected but if you go much lower than 19” with normal aspect ratio tyres won’t the Speedometer and Odometer be inaccurate!

Also, not sure about the Economy aspect with more revs per mile and Insurance implications.

Don’t shoot the messenger - just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am standing by to be corrected but if you go much lower than 19” with normal aspect ratio tyres won’t the Speedometer and Odometer be inaccurate!

Also, not sure about the Economy aspect with more revs per mile and Insurance implications.

I’ve done this kind of thing in the past with smaller wheels for winter tyre use. Essentially the smaller wheels are made up for by a greater sidewall on the tyres which gives the same rolling radius. So it’s fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure I read somewhere ( I wish I could remember where) that the rims and tyres on the 20inch are both particularly efficient in terms of the rim aerodynamics and the drag on the tyres resulting in similar efficiency as the 19inch wheels - anyone seen this/can confirm?

·
Registered
425 Posts
When I was in getting my rattle fixed yesterday, the tech said that the Ioniq 5 has special tyres designed to reduce road noise. I have Michelin Primacy 4s fitted to mine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am sure I read somewhere ( I wish I could remember where) that the rims and tyres on the 20inch are both particularly efficient in terms of the rim aerodynamics and the drag on the tyres resulting in similar efficiency as the 19inch wheels - anyone seen this/can confirm?
The 18 mile difference in range on hte 73 kWh battery I mentioned earlier was quoted directly from Hyundai themselves.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
And if what is being reported in Autocar magazine, that the Ioniq 6 is being delayed so they can make fundamental body changes to it in order to fit in the larger 77 kWh battery that they already have available, I suspect Hyundai are realising that the efficiency/real world range is not as good as they were hoping!

I could have told them that even before it was released when the ”77 kWh” became “72.6 kWh useable” and the weight of the car was announced! (And also the 20” wheels on the P45, as opposed to more sensible and more efficient 19” or even 18” like on the Tesla Model 3 LR. (And that Tesla still has performance attributes but they still fitted a more sensible wheel/tyre size as standard)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’ve had a few runs out in my Premium now and it’s managing over 4.0 miles per kwh easily. Granted the temperature range has been 16-23° so the depths of winter will no doubt put a serious dent in that but I’m happy enough so far.

·
Registered
332 Posts

As pointed out above, you have to change the width/height of the tyre. So 255/45/20 becomes 235/55/18 or even 225/60/17 if they’ll fit over the brakes (which they almost certainly will). That gives you a significantly narrower tyres and 1-1.5 extra inches of sidewall which is great for efficiency, ride comfort and stopping you kerbing your alloys.

Its not an issue in the UK but in some European countries (definitely Germany) they’ll only let you fit tyres with dimensions on the plate in the door.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts