Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,851 Posts
As pointed out above, you have to change the width/height of the tyre. So 255/45/20 becomes 235/55/18 or even 225/60/17 if they’ll fit over the brakes (which they almost certainly will). That gives you a significantly narrower tyres and 1-1.5 extra inches of sidewall which is great for efficiency, ride comfort and stopping you kerbing your alloys.

Its not an issue in the UK but in some European countries (definitely Germany) they’ll only let you fit tyres with dimensions on the plate in the door.
I would have to say, consider this a warning! Going from 255 tyre to 225 width is a huge loss of contact patch and has substantial safety implications for such a heavy car: braking will be affected in unpredictable ways, including poor car balance when turning.

If you are safe driver and not "racing", it might be ok, but still something to consider.

What size tyres are specified in the car's manual? If the specific tyre size, you are considering is not on that list, you have to think very carefully if you want to fit something like that on the car.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I would have to say, consider this a warning! Going from 255 tyre to 225 width is a huge loss of contact patch and has substantial safety implications for such a heavy car: braking will be affected in unpredictable ways, including poor car balance when turning.

If you are safe driver and not "racing", it might be ok, but still something to consider.

What size tyres are specified in the car's manual? If the specific tyre size, you are considering is not on that list, you have to think very carefully if you want to fit something like that on the car.
The contact patch area will remain the same ( ish), just the shape of it will change.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank

Thsnk you for your well-intentioned ‘warning’. As has been pointed out by @freddym above, the amount of tyre in contact doesn’t change, but the pressure on the contact patch does because it’s narrower, and therefore better in snowy and icy conditions which is why people tend to fit smaller rims and tyres in the winter.

The cars manual lists several tyre sizes smaller than 20” so it won’t be an issue. As I say, thank you for the doubtless well-intentioned “warning”.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Don't plan to have any accidents in your car unless your insurer is happy with the modification.
Why wouldn’t my insurers be OK with me fitting a smaller, permitted, size? Hyundai ship these cars with huge wheels for purely aesthetic reasons. Wider, lower profile, tyres are generally worse in almost every metric except dry weather grip. But they let you make your car look more like the designers sketch where the wheels are infeasibly large and people seem quite happy to sacrifice almost everything to have good looks when the car is parked in the dealer‘s window.

There seems to be some bizarre concept that people are stupid enough not to inform their insurers when they fit aftermarket wheels and tyres to their car. My car is a company car, and our Company Secretary is scrupulous in ensuring everything is declared. My own insurer, LV does not charge extra if the wheels are less than 2” larger than the original fitment and definitely not for smaller wheels that maintain the original rolling radius.

I have a cycle-carrier tow bar on my Kona. Insurers were informed. No issue. I have a frunk. Insurers were consulted, the question they posed was “is it type approved?” Yes, by TÜV Austria. No problem, no extra charge.

If you read my original post, you’ll notice that I consulted the lease company regarding the wheels. They want the original ones supplied and they want them fitted when the car is handed back, but they‘re quite happy for my to fit my own wheels and tyres and use them instead of the very expensive 20” that come as standard.

Bottom line, all the mods I intend to do are fully cleared with the stakeholders concerned and none of them have an issue with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why wouldn’t my insurers be OK with me fitting a smaller, permitted, size? Hyundai ship these cars with huge wheels for purely aesthetic reasons. Wider, lower profile, tyres are generally worse in almost every metric except dry weather grip. But they let you make your car look more like the designers sketch where the wheels are infeasibly large and people seem quite happy to sacrifice almost everything to have good looks when the car is parked in the dealer‘s window.

There seems to be some bizarre concept that people are stupid enough not to inform their insurers when they fit aftermarket wheels and tyres to their car. My car is a company car, and our Company Secretary is scrupulous in ensuring everything is declared. My own insurer, LV does not charge extra if the wheels are less than 2” larger than the original fitment and definitely not for smaller wheels that maintain the original rolling radius.

I have a cycle-carrier tow bar on my Kona. Insurers were informed. No issue. I have a frunk. Insurers were consulted, the question they posed was “is it type approved?” Yes, by TÜV Austria. No problem, no extra charge.

If you read my original post, you’ll notice that I consulted the lease company regarding the wheels. They want the original ones supplied and they want them fitted when the car is handed back, but they‘re quite happy for my to fit my own wheels and tyres and use them instead of the very expensive 20” that come as standard.

Bottom line, all the mods I intend to do are fully cleared with the stakeholders concerned and none of them have an issue with them.
Glad you have everything as it should be. Not everyone is as diligent. Insurers may not charge any more but will certainly try to avoid liability if the vehicle is modified without their knowledge.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GTLine CCS
167 Posts
As it might have been me who's started the above when I mentioned the desire to put the 19" wheels on the Ultimate spec car - I should point out there will be a very high chance that Hyundai will use a single tyre pressure plate on all Ioniq 5s with the result that either of the two official wheel sizes will be legal and covered by valid insurance on the car, however you will have to inform your insurers about going from 20" to 19" wheels on an Ultimate as it will affect value and not a standard option.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Ok, have just completed just short of 900 miles in 6 days, travelling first from South Wales to NE London to visit family. Charged overnight at my parents.
Then on to Leeds and Ionity at Skelton Lakes Services. Honestly, Ionity charging with the Ioniq 5 is obscene!! Laughably so.
Then a few days in the Lake District (it rained ++++) and a couple of top up charges at InstaVolt at Booths supermarket.(Keswick and Kendal) 4 charge points at each. Saw a lot of the sights.
Then back home to South Wales via the M6 and tried the newish MFG 8x 150kW charging posts at J27, before being held up in a massive traffic jam for an hour. Ended up diverting to the A49 and moving south from England down through Wales. Tried another Instavolt in Leominster, on the way, just for the hell of it!
Summary: My wife & I really loved the Ioniq 5. It’s a fantastic, comfortable and refined cruiser.

We had no plans for this trip, apart from the London part. Just winged it. Hotels booked on route. Zap Map researched on way! We just needed a few days break. First in over 18 months for us both. Just wish the weather was better.

Real world efficiency not brilliant. Overall and at a 70mph cruise it averaged around 3.1 mi/kWh. And that was in milder temperatures! Can already drop to the high 2.8-2.9 mi/kWh when the temperatures drop. Or the rain and winds pick up (which they did).
Thus long distance motorway range 200-220 miles when it is warm. Not brilliant for a 72.6 kWh battery car.
Will have to see what 0-8 deg temperatures do to that range now winter is approaching.

On 50 mph speed camera parts efficiency climbs to 4.5 mi/kWh. To increase your range and lessen your range anxiety just lower your speed a little. ( Eg- from 70mph to 68mph etc). It makes a difference.

But does the average efficiency matter when the ability to fast charge is incredible? We never had to wait for a charge at any of the locations. Just drove up and plugged in. No issues. The only slight disappointment is that InstaVolt (a real favourite of mine) is now a bit too expensive at 40p/kWh. Especially when compared to the excellent Ionity contract we now have (25p/kWh). The Leeds charge up with Ionity cost £16.64 for 67kwh of battery fill. (12% to 100%). 197.7 miles completed with 25 miles indicated range remaining by arrival there. Non stop from NE London to Leeds over 3.5 hours up the A1M. Every single petrol station on way had no fuel or low fuel signs up with dangerous queueing back on to the carriageways at several locations. Was very hard not to feel just a little smug…
The Instavolt charge ups costed just over £15 for barely 38kWh of battery fill.

The new MFG multi point 150kW chargers are a promising development. Not cheap at 39p/kWh but fast enough and plenty to choose from at their sites, and more planned. I tried to avoid GridServe locations as mostly just 2-3 charge points available. You have to be lucky for them not to be occupied. We did originally plan to go to Rugby from NE London first, to sample their big new charging hub and super fast chargers but realised we could make it to Leeds and Ionity in one go from London.

Car got plenty of attention with more than 1 comment about how lucky I was to be driving an electric car in this present fuel crisis. It managed the very narrow routes around the Lake District with aplomb. And parking and maneuvering in packed car parks easy with the all round cameras.
Will try to put something together for YouTube to summarise it.
Wife & I just looking for other places to go now. Scotland (we almost did this instead of the Lake District) and hopefully Europe soon when the Covid admin side calms down. Ionity has more coverage in Europe.
Just need more fast chargers and more locations. That’s all. More and more EVs are being bought with our without a fuel shortage.

The Premium spec Ioniq which probably weighs at least 100kg less, and more importantly has 19” wheels will be a chunk more efficient than the P45s. I suspect high 3’s or even 4+ at 70mph in milder temperatures.

Hope this helps.

MM

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,641 Posts
Sounds like a good trip away. Agree about the Ionity charging. Its such a shock to see how quick the Ioniq fills. It has now made 50kw rapids seem like slow destination chargers in comparison. Seriously considering a Land's End to John O Grouts trip next year over a few days. Its tempting seeing as we only live 40 miles from Lands End.

·
Registered
429 Posts
We did a 160 mile round trip in the Premium today. In temps of low teens and literally constant rain over a mix of motorways and 50 and 60 single carriageways it returned 3.5 miles per kwh, which was acceptable. I’d charged it to 100% overnight and we got back with 60 miles of range left. It started showing 240 miles of range so we lost 20 miles somewhere along the way, probably to the wipers and the cabin heater set to 22°.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sounds like a good trip away. Agree about the Ionity charging. Its such a shock to see how quick the Ioniq fills. It has now made 50kw rapids seem like slow destination chargers in comparison. Seriously considering a Land's End to John O Grouts trip next year over a few days. Its tempting seeing as we only live 40 miles from Lands End.
Yes. Do it ! If you are in no major rush just take your time. I agree charging at 50kW does feel a bit slow now. On arrival in Keswick in the Lake District, you now have to pay for parking at Booths to use their Instavolts. 1 hour was enough to get from 50% to 95%+ but if we went after 6pm it would have been free to park. Then at Kendal again we had to pay £1.20 for 1 hour but refundable if you buy £5 from Booths Supermarket which is fair enough.
I think I have every RFID card now including the ChargePlace Scotland one. Just received the Osprey one when we were away in the Lake District.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Speedo position could definitely be better. Seems to be tucked up,for me, just inside the left hand upper rim of the steering wheel. So not CLEARLY visible. They only really need to move it a few mm inwards towards the centre as the graphic representing range on the left side is not needed really. However as Jimbo had already we have the HUD on the P45 which I find is excellent.
And as Jimbo also says I am hoping the heat pump in the P45 helps out a bit with winter efficiency. Will keep you posted as autumn turns to winter.
I agree the speedo on the dash is in the wrong place. When I lower the steering wheel it obscures the top half the dash completely. In my view this is unsafe, and I am surprised that they managed to have it approved for import - yes I think it is that bad!! Fortunately I have the HUD, so I have an alternative. I do hope that a software update solves the problem and provides and option to display the speed in the centre part of the dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree the speedo on the dash is in the wrong place. When I lower the steering wheel it obscures the top half the dash completely. In my view this is unsafe, and I am surprised that they managed to have it approved for import - yes I think it is that bad!! Fortunately I have the HUD, so I have an alternative. I do hope that a software update solves the problem and provides and option to display the speed in the centre part of the dash.
It seems very personal. Speedo position fine for wife and I.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ok after a long time I finally managed to do the S. Wales to London trip again but now in colder weather. 12-13 degC.
Total mileage 189 miles door to door. Many of the long 50mph speed restrictions around Bristol M4 have gone so I did a very long Smart Cruise Controlled 70 mph for a very long distance. Heater on auto (22 degC for wife and 21 degC for me). Car stayed at 3.0 mi/kWh ( to 3.1 mi/kWh) throughout this 70 cruise for about 70-80 miles. No traffic. Not raining. Not windy.
The very long 50mph speed restricted area from Reading to the M25 is now a steady speed camera enforced 60mph limit.
Efficiency for the whole journey was recorded at 3.2 mi/kWh with 17% battery remaining and an indicated 33 miles of range left. So like our London to Leeds trip, the motorway range in goodish conditions would seem to be 200-220 miles pretty easily. That is at 70mph for large parts.

Or should I say an easy 200 miles of motorway range? (70 mph).

Now as we approach winter we will see what 0-5 deg temperatures do to the range and efficiency. And also heavy rain and wind. Then the range will be below 200 miles I am sure. But we will see.
The journey had no hold ups and took 3hr and 15 mins or so. Which under normal circumstances would be time for a break for us (and a charge up for the car anyway) , so I am pleased that 200 miles of motorway range seems to be a formality. Both in milder and now cooler temperatures. I am hoping the heat pump is helping out a little or will do when we hit proper winter. Either way, to have the planned large GridServe installation at Reading incoming and also the MFG Rapids coming up, it will ease any range anxiety in winter time as I would be happy to stop for a 5-10 minute “Ioniq 5 monster charge” to get some range added on very quickly indeed!
MM

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have just done my 1st motorway trip in the car, I just drove it like my previous petrol car so kept to the speed limits and used the smart cruise control for quite a lot of the journey although it's not the most economical EV out there I was OK with the range I was getting, I also stopped at my 1st Ionity station for a quick 10 min charge, worked like a charm and the charging speed was OK. All in all I love the car and now know that I don't really have to drive any differently if I don't have to, but I do have the option to be more efficient in my driving if reqd - Loving the car

41 - 55 of 55 Posts