Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly big thanks to Matt (@ecodrive ) for allowing myself and my work colleague Andy to gatecrash the dealer training session in Nottingham.

Unfortunately I didn't get to actually drive myself, but Andy did, and he was pretty glowing in our debrief. He really liked the "tree" on the dashboard of all things :) He was pleased with the performance, and really liked the overall smoothness.

It's good to hear that Kia are being realistic in there real range world estimates from day one, and a fair 100 miles of real world miles is the first number quoted. (Rather than the nigh on unachievable world 134 figure!).

If I understand correctly Kia have put in a bigger battery than the 27kWh headline figure, in a similar way to the Ampera/Volt, so I suspect they will easily hit their 7 year 70% warranty target.

It was obviously the first time for the dealer doing the test drive too, and as Andy had already heard all the details of the car on our first visit on Wednesday, I suspect it was a bit like taking a test on the training he'd just received :D

It obviously went quite well though, because they were gone so long everyone else was waiting for them to come back and joked Andy had stolen it :D

Will Andy buy a Soul? Well I think he might be tempted, especially if we can get him one on a salary sacrifice scheme ;)

Apologies for lack of photos, but I had my hands full doing demos of my car. There was a guy with a proper camera milling about taking pictures, so I'm sure one of the guys from ecodrive might post something up for prosperity ;)

Super Moderator
Yeah it's a nice drive. Even with 27kwh usable I think 100 will be a struggle on the open roads. Probably achievable at 60mph but at 70mph it's going to be more like mid 80s.

Reactions: Simon Mac

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a nice drive. Even with 27kwh usable I think 100 will be a struggle on the open roads. Probably achievable at 60mph but at 70mph it's going to be more like mid 80s.
True, it doesn't look the most aerodynamic thing to be fair :)

Saying that mid 80s would be plenty, and as Andy lives 20 miles from the office, all of which is <= 60 mph, with average speed cameras along most of the route, I suspect he'd breeze that range. Plus there is a Rapid <2miles away, and we'll soon have a charge point at the office too.

He's originally from Wick, and visits family at least once per year, so if he did go EV I think he'd keep his current Diesel C'eed, and sell his wife's Picanto. (Did I mention he liked Kias :D ).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Brooktop now that's just mean :p

I can see a vague resemblance, but the only two colours coming to the UK are blue and silver. Unfortunately red isn't on the list :p

In fairness of all the BEVs there is only one I actually think is a handsome looking car... ;)

My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
@Brooktop now that's just mean :p

I can see a vague resemblance, but the only two colours coming to the UK are blue and silver. Unfortunately red isn't on the list :p

In fairness of all the BEVs there is only one I actually think is a handsome looking car... ;)
I know... The Ampera.... Hard not to agree really. :p

Independent EV consultants
Simon,

Thanks for coming over again on Friday. You were far from gatecrashing - although getting them back on topic about the Soul EV after drooling over your Model S was a bit of a challenge! Glad to read that Andy enjoyed the drive. Can you put us in contact since I'd like to hear first hand what he thought and how he got on. It would certainly be fair to say that we were keen to see how the dealer 'coped' too with the first public test drive! He gave some good feedback (mostly of his own ability to answer questions!) when we got back to the training academy.

Apologies that we didn't get to hang about and speak to Andy in person... we were getting a little pushed for time since they were clearly enjoying the test drive a bit too much! We're expecting to get the photos from Friday back today so will post when we do!

Edd: To be fair to Kia, the suggestion is 100 mile real world range or '80-100 miles' achievable, depending on the usual factors, which seems to be very fair. After our 23 mile loop at a mix of 40, 50 and 60mph the cars were all around the 80% mark after a full charge so 1%/mile is about right. You can even set the thresholds at which you get a low range warning, to suit your own confidence!

Matt, ecodrive

Registered
True, it doesn't look the most aerodynamic thing to be fair :)
If it's anything like my ICE Soul, fuel economy falls off a cliff once you take it over about 50 mph, which I have always put down to the very boxy shape. Motorway cruising is pretty noisy...

Registered
Out of interest, why would any modern car manufacturer design and build a car with such a high drag coefficient? It's not just the Kia - I was behind a Nissan cube yesterday. Is it just that a cube cabin is perhaps the most efficient use of space?

Registered
Yes, it comes down to packaging. The Soul is very spacious inside for a car of relatively modest footprint. It's great for family transport.

Registered
Still think the bonnet and windscreen could have a more aerodynamic shape, like the i3

Registered
Well I have both cars, and the Soul is much more spacious inside even though they have almost exactly the same footprint - (4.1 * 1.8 for the Soul vs 4.0 * 1.8 for the i3).

Independent EV consultants
Kia have mitigated the aero factors as much as possible by completely redesigning the front end (even bonnet is not the same as Soul ICE) to minimise air intake and by fitting underbody panels. Not the most aero chassis though so will be best advised not to explore the 90mph top speed too often!

In our training we reinforced that the NEDC range is over-optimistic but to be aware that to only quote '100 miles' could be underselling if other brands only give NEDC! It's a matter of explaining it, which most consumers readily understand since book mpg is rarely achieved either.

We had some big chaps trying out the car front and rear and didn't find it a problem, unlike some competitors. Some boot space lost to the charging cable storage but I like the integration rather than rattling loose in the boot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We had some big chaps trying out the car front and rear and didn't find it a problem, unlike some competitors. Some boot space lost to the charging cable storage but I like the integration rather than rattling loose in the boot.
It certainly looked neat, but the thing I didn't get was how you retrieve the cables if you put things in the boot? I'm probably being dense, or missed something as I literally looked at it for 5 seconds.

The Tesla doesn't have dedicated cable storage per se, but there are two cubby holes (behind the rear wheel arches), these are perfect sized for the cable, and you can still get at them if the boot has stuff in it, unlike the main underfloor space.

Saying that, I still find the whole concept of dragging round a cable a bit backward. I know we are in a mess with charging standards and that's why we are at this point, but it's just daft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts