Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly please don't take this as bragging about range, I am posting my thoughts as I have noticed a big shift in my thinking since taking delivery of the Tesla.

Running the leaf for the last 3 years I was constantly actively managing the charge, trying to think 2-3 journeys ahead to make sure it was charged ready when we needed it.

Due to the instability of the rapid charge networks we often capitulated and rented an ICE for long journeys as I was not willing to put my family through a stranding due to things beyond my control.

Yesterday I headed out for a trip to see some old aircraft not a huge distance but each way would have been max range for the leaf - with no AC. Very little in the way of charging on route so we would have made it (just) but would have had to flat bed back

Yesterday we cruised down to the airfield at or around 70mph :) with the AC running a very nice low temperature, had a great day out and cruised home in a similar fashion. Not once did I worry about range, not once did I think, lets pull over for another coffee and sip some power, not once did I even consider it an issue.

My point is, once you take the range issue away, electric cars are just cars, you go where you want when you want. To be honest it was a little eye opening, I kind of miss the planning side of things but I don't miss not being able to go to certain places because of the limit of my vehicle.

For those that like cold war jets this is what we went to see

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
My point is, once you take the range issue away, electric cars are just cars, you go where you want when you want. To be honest it was a little eye opening, I kind of miss the planning side of things but I don't miss not being able to go to certain places because of the limit of my vehicle.
Which is why it's frustrating more manufacturers are not taking the leap and getting real 150, 200 mile range EVs out there. I'm not much of a tin-foil hat guy, but there's got to be a reason they've not done this yet, people WILL buy them and it WILL change perceptions of EVs all over.

Glad you're enjoying the Model S, maybe one day I'll get there!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. Your reasoning here is exactly why I bought an Ampera 16 months ago. You just get in and drive and its no different to any other car. One day full range electric cars will become more affordable and hopefully I'll own one then.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Great to hear that you are enjoying the car Jon, we live on such a small island that the 85kwh Model S really is overkill for 99% of you average journey and I think that this is why the mainstream manufacturers havent made one yet, most people think that they need the same range that an ICE car has but they dont? and for those journeys where they do all they need is a reliable charging network which is sadly what we dont have.

My next car will be a model s or a model X however I still think that the Leaf when supported by a reliable rapid charging network is such a great car for 95% of the population, we will also have a Leaf as our second car, The Tesla and esp the 85kwh car will of course obliterate any range anxiety on our little island however there is a huge price premium to be paid for this with the Model S you are essentially paying to remove range anxiety in way, esp when you consider you can pick up a used Leaf now for 8 grand or less which is the cost of some of the options on the Model S (almost)

I still think that the Leaf represents an almost perfect little car, its let down over here at least by an adhoc and unreliable network of level 1,2,3 and rapid chargers.

My next car will be a Tesla not because there is anything wrong with the leaf, its purely out of desire for the next step up in the evolution of the electric car, pure and simple, heck most of us would still jump at the chance of owning an EV-1 wouldn't we?

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
Great to hear that you are enjoying the car Jon, we live on such a small island that the 85kwh Model S really is overkill for 99% of you average journey and I think that this is why the mainstream manufacturers havent made one yet, most people think that they need the same range that an ICE car has but they dont? and for those journeys where they do all they need is a reliable charging network which is sadly what we dont have.

My next car will be a model s or a model X however I still think that the Leaf when supported by a reliable rapid charging network is such a great car for 95% of the population, we will also have a Leaf as our second car, The Tesla and esp the 85kwh car will of course obliterate any range anxiety on our little island however there is a huge price premium to be paid for this with the Model S you are essentially paying to remove range anxiety in way, esp when you consider you can pick up a used Leaf now for 8 grand or less which is the cost of some of the options on the Model S (almost)

I still think that the Leaf represents an almost perfect little car, its let down over here at least by an adhoc and unreliable network of level 1,2,3 and rapid chargers.

My next car will be a Tesla not because there is anything wrong with the leaf, its purely out of desire for the next step up in the evolution of the electric car, pure and simple, heck most of us would still jump at the chance of owning an EV-1 wouldn't we?
That's just your opinion Knoxie, and you're an EV convert.

No, the ~250 mile 70mph range of the Model S is not enough to obliterate range anxiety for everyone. For people who drive in excess of 80mph every time they can it is definitely not enough. It's a step in the right direction though.

·
Registered
257 Posts

No, the ~250 mile 70mph range of the Model S is not enough to obliterate range anxiety for everyone. For people who drive in excess of 80mph every time they can it is definitely not enough. It's a step in the right direction though.
I agree. We had to cruise at 65 mph to get home after picking the car up and I was a nervous wreck! For 95% of my driving though, I just thrash it (or cruise gently around) and don't even look at how much juice I have left. Full tank every morning = bliss!

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
I agree. We had to cruise at 65 mph to get home
Yeah, that's not a great introduction to the car! I have seen many EV drivers describe 65mph as fast, that just doesn't agree with the general public though and range at 80mph+ is an important consideration.

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
Is that true 80mph or indicated on the speedo?

Most people I know do not want to break the law to the exent of going 88mph indicated on the speedo which roughly equated to a true 80mph speed.
We had this discussion a few weeks ago (https://speakev.com/threads/tesla-superhighway-in-uk-kit-already-here.2266/page-5#post-20829) and the data suggested that the average speed on motorways was 69mph, with 49% doing in excess of 70mph - true speed not driver indicated. Just because you don't know the people breaking the law doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Is that true 80mph or indicated on the speedo?

Most people I know do not want to break the law to the exent of going 88mph indicated on the speedo which roughly equated to a true 80mph speed.
The Tesla speedo is remarkably accurate.

I wonder if it's actually driven from the onboard GPS rather than an additional sensor.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'm sure it happens - as well as some nutters doing 100+mph. I just don't think 80+mph range is a major consideration for most people.

We had this discussion a few weeks ago (https://speakev.com/threads/tesla-superhighway-in-uk-kit-already-here.2266/page-5#post-20829) and the data suggested that the average speed on motorways was 69mph, with 49% doing in excess of 70mph - true speed not driver indicated. Just because you don't know the people breaking the law doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
I'm sure it happens - as well as some nutters doing 100+mph. I just don't think 80+mph range is a major consideration for most people.
No not most, just the 49% going in excess of 70mph (75mph+ indicated)

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
upload_2014-7-29_17-29-10.png

A quick mockup but broadly suggests 27% of drivers were travelling above 80mph.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You chart looks to be incorrect. According to the report and associated tables, the average figure for 80+mph is 13% of cars as per the table below:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

When I get my P85 and all of the superchargers are in place I know I wont have any range anxiety and neither would 99.99% of the population, the Model S is far far more than a step in the right direction, its where its at! with a relatively small supercharger network the Model S is there already, the only thing that can cause any anxiety is the price. :)

Sure people with Model S would still get it at the moment but the network isnt in place and sure 60kwh cars with no super charger access will still feel it, but 85kwh and superchargers where they should be and plenty of other options to charge should make it plain sailing.

·
Super Moderator
7,535 Posts
You chart looks to be incorrect. According to the report and associated tables, the average figure for 80+mph is 13% of cars as per the table below:
Oh ok then, only 4,550,000 cars country wide. You're right, we can ignore them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts