Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think the time is nigh for the first service to rear its head - essential; to maintain the warranty. I have had to renew my road tax this week, so nice to have nothing to pay.

Don't forget to take you V5 document as this is required to renew the warranty

So I wonder what issues will be resolved if any?

What problems are we all going to take to the dealer to resolve?

Mine wants the car for two days to give them time to carry out any software updates plus the service.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Ray, mine's booked in for it's first service this coming Wednesday (19,000 miles and 1 year old). My garage only wants it for one day, however this is the first they have done so I am prepared for them to say they need it longer. I have a list of relatively minor points that need attention but it is the software updates that I look forward to the most. They are talking in terms of £109 for the standard service and I wonder how that compares with yours?

ClivesS

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
@CliveS - I thought you had to have the first service at 12000 miles or 1 year, which ever came soonest?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The manual says 1 yr/ 20000 miles.

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
Ah, good to be wrong on that one :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Volt is booked in for its first service at 10,000 miles (as specified by the dealer on a winscreen sticker) in a week.

The dealer's in Cambridge and I'm in Reading/Basingstoke so they'll swap it for another car and take it for as long as they want. I had an engine warning light problem early on and that's what they did then.

I've got no problems at all to report so it should be a standard service.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Andy McCrory said:
My Volt is booked in for its first service at 10,000 miles (as specified by the dealer on a winscreen sticker) in a week.

The dealer's in Cambridge and I'm in Reading/Basingstoke so they'll swap it for another car and take it for as long as they want. I had an engine warning light problem early on and that's what they did then.

I've got no problems at all to report so it should be a standard service.
Here's hoping they find you a Volt for a loan car as they had to lend me a Cruze when they were replacing the battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not expecting a Volt Duncan. They gave me a Cruze for the week when they were sorting out my engine light problem so I would not be surprised to get one again. As long as it gets me to work and back I can't say I'm that bothered.

The differences in service interval is a bit odd though. Can anyone confirm/explain that?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Andy McCrory said:
I'm not expecting a Volt Duncan. They gave me a Cruze for the week when they were sorting out my engine light problem so I would not be surprised to get one again. As long as it gets me to work and back I can't say I'm that bothered.

The differences in service interval is a bit odd though. Can anyone confirm/explain that?
I think it was the same Cruze (the recently used destinations in the SatNav included somewhere in Basingstoke).
The Ampera has different warranty conditions, but I guess Chevrolet UK just pulled a different random number out of the air. The manual says 1 year/15,000km so they've rounded it up a bit to get to 10,000 miles. I paid for the extended warranty which includes the first 3 years/30,000 miles servicing, but the terms for that are pretty much the same as the petrol cars, so I think Chevrolet just stuck with what they know.

Service Schedules
Maintenance interval
Every 1 year /15 000 km (whichever occurs first)
Maintenance I: Use Maintenance I for the first service or if Maintenance II was performed previously.
Maintenance II: Use Maintenance II if the previous service performed was Maintenance I.
For vehicles equipped with an oil life monitoring system: If the change engine oil lamp illuminates and the previous maintenance has been carried out at least 10 months before, then the relevant maintenance should also be carried out.
I won't copy/paste the whole table for Maintenance I and II, but the table is quite short compared with the one for my wife's Mazda (it fits on one page), and all of the items under maintenance I are 'inspect', there's nothing they actually need to replace until the second service. I also note that none of the servicing is related to the electrical system, it's all conventional stuff like brakes, tyres, engine oil and brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
11,066 Posts
My Ampera is booked in for week after next. Do they change oil? It seems crazy if they do as my oil life is still over 80 %

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
proddick said:
My Ampera is booked in for week after next. Do they change oil? It seems crazy if they do as my oil life is still over 80 %
The Volt manual says oil and brake fluid are both Inspect on odd services and Replace on even services.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like it might have been the same one Duncan, white diesel if I remember correctly: AK62 PXN in November. I think I did play with the satnav.

The running gear obviously needs conventional servicing/checking but I wonder if the electrical systems are also serviced/checked but are just not listed. You could understand that the servicing procedures might not have been finalised before the service record book was written.

My brakes should be OK since I hardly use them, mostly running in L.

The oil is showing at about 80% life so I guess they will do an oil change. It would be silly for them to leave it and have to take it back again in 2,000 miles.

I guess that they may be interested to get the data from the car though, just to see what is happening in real-life use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked up the Ampera from it's first service this evening. They had it for the day and carried out the service, downloads and attended to about half a dozen minor problems. Total bill £99.78 (parts £2.15 i.e. screen wash). Apparently the oil is changed at the second service which will be £289.

CliveS

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
CliveS said:
Picked up the Ampera from it's first service this evening. They had it for the day and carried out the service, downloads and attended to about half a dozen minor problems. Total bill £99.78 (parts £2.15 i.e. screen wash). Apparently the oil is changed at the second service which will be £289.

CliveS
Sounds like they updated software Clive, I'd be interested to know if the radio favourites settings problem is now fixed with your new software.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
hopbackguy said:
CliveS said:

CliveS
Sounds like they updated software Clive, I'd be interested to know if the radio favourites settings problem is now fixed with your new software.
I'd also love to know if they've done anything about that. In fact, could you post the radio software version numbers so we can see which components were actually updated?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi - the first thing I noticed was that the favourites had been reset. I have put them in again and will see how it goes. If you can tell me where I can find the software settings Ill let you know what they are. What I have noticed is that the sat nav has an additional button on the map page which on going round the M25 earlier today splits the screen and shows distance and time to the next 3 junctions and seems to have a couple of sub buttons for petrol and food though I forgot to try those!

CliveS

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
CliveS said:
Hi - the first thing I noticed was that the favourites had been reset. I have put them in again and will see how it goes. If you can tell me where I can find the software settings Ill let you know what they are.
Clive, see the post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=473#.UXa6HEritqw for how to see the radio software levels.

Have your Favourites stayed intact so far, for both FM and DAB??

Mike

1 - 20 of 47 Posts