Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Approaching 20k on my egolf so need to book in the first service. Ive been quoted £190 by my local VW dealer (this includes a pollen filter apparently or it would have been £145)

Just wondering if that's reasonable? Seems expensive to me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is expensive.... go elsewhere, its only an inspection, less than 1 hours workshop work (if they do it correctly, ha ha ha)
However, I was quoted as high as £225 (without pollen filter)
If you ring around and haggle hard I think you will get the price below £125
There are threads about this issue on this forum.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Guys,

Approaching 20k on my egolf so need to book in the first service. Ive been quoted £190 by my local VW dealer (this includes a pollen filter apparently or it would have been £145)

Just wondering if that's reasonable? Seems expensive to me.
First service £109, first dealer I rang £135 and was part of the same group of dealers madness.
Ring Vw Leicester get a quote in writing ,then ask your local to price match.
They will its a drive by, takes longer to put the vid of your car up than to do the service.
Plug it in ,measure the tread on tyres /brake disk.Job done.

·
Registered
814 Posts
There's huge variation across the country. Ability to realistically haggle will no doubt depend on how far you're willing, or the dealer believes you'd be willing, to travel.

I was £159 at 20k miles in Dundee (Barnetts), including tyre rotation. Can't remember about pollen filter.

I was £130 at 30k miles in Inverness (Hawco). No tyre rotation but did have pollen filter.

·
Registered
814 Posts
A very expensive car wash, a tick in the virtual service book, a video that tells you your car still exists and a measurement of your tyre tread depth.

Seriously though, I think it says somewhere in the back of the handbook what's in each inspection.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Sounds like a total rip off.

Gonna try and get them to fix my glove box too....when I opened it a few weeks ago I heard a snapping sound...the arm that makes it open slowly (and activates the light) has snapped clean off!!! What are the odds of getting it fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
742 Posts
My last EV was a 27kw Kia Soul. the minor service was £52 and the major was £94....The service guy was completely honest that they basically plig into OBD check for faults and do visual checks on tyres and brakes. Typical VW like to stick their Arm in !!!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Our Golf is cheaper to service than the Niro was. Golf first service is 20k miles then one a year or 20k. Kia insists on 10k miles no matter how many miles driven per year. Second service on the Niro was £175.
Golf is £125 a year, Niro cost £230 to service in the year I owned it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can top all of that for an expensive service. Dropped my e-Golf off for its first service 2 weeks ago and they managed to drop it from the ramp!!!

Looks like a write off as the repair bill is £20,000.....

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can top all of that for an expensive service. Dropped my e-Golf off for its first service 2 weeks ago and they managed to drop it from the ramp!!!

Looks like a write off as the repair bill is £20,000.....
WHAT!!! I hope they are making it right and some?

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Registered
33 Posts
WHAT!!! I hope they are making it right and some?
Well it is taking some time to sort as it was obviously a big health and safety incident for them. Luckily no one was hurt!

They've given me a brand new Golf 8 to drive around in for the meantime, which whilst isn't electric it is a nice car. My e-Golf is a company car, so I'll be sorted one way or another either with a like for like replacement or using the insurance money to get a new car.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,649 Posts
Well it is taking some time to sort as it was obviously a big health and safety incident for them. Luckily no one was hurt!
Still... but...but...HOW?

Sorry, just can't believe it. Did the ramp fail or what?

Anyway, enjoy the 8!

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
33 Posts
Still... but...but...HOW?

Sorry, just can't believe it. Did the ramp fail or what?

Anyway, enjoy the 8!
I agree it is unbelievable! Nobody I have spoken to has ever heard of it happening.

The ramp was tested and all was fine. Apparently it was operator error, incorrect placement of the vehicle somehow. But yes, fell from quite a height and bounced off all the pillars on the way down.

The repair quote looks like they would be building the car from scratch.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Very lucky nobody was hurt ( only the car ).
I can’t even imagine receiving that type of phone call.
Holy crap !.
I have seen a car crash down a very long inspection pit once in a car factory.
It became so wedged in the pit, they had to lift it out with a crane.
They passed two straps through the front and back window openings and lifted the car !.
The noise when they lifted up was something I don’t think I will every forget.
The guy working in the pit made a run for the transfer tunnel that interconnected with the second pit running along side.
The guy driving the car at the time got out through the drivers door that was pointing up towards the factory roof.
I had been in the same pit the previous day.
I guess the dealer is trying to locate a replacement car then ?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
£145 sound incredibly steep for what amounts to plugging the car in to check for faults and rotating the tires.

I am coming up on my first "inspection" on my used 2016 and my closest (and favorite dealer) is quoting me £75, selling dealer will do same "inspection" and tire rotation for £45 but its a 40 mile round trip haul (vs 8 mile) to get out there so I'm going to pay the extra for my closest dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very lucky nobody was hurt ( only the car ).
I can’t even imagine receiving that type of phone call.
Holy crap !.
I have seen a car crash down a very long inspection pit once in a car factory.
It became so wedged in the pit, they had to lift it out with a crane.
They passed two straps through the front and back window openings and lifted the car !.
The noise when they lifted up was something I don’t think I will every forget.
The guy working in the pit made a run for the transfer tunnel that interconnected with the second pit running along side.
The guy driving the car at the time got out through the drivers door that was pointing up towards the factory roof.
I had been in the same pit the previous day.
I guess the dealer is trying to locate a replacement car then ?.
That does sound scary! The insurance company told me they had seen footage of it falling off the ramp and said it was extremely scary to see it happen and very very lucky no one was hurt.

We did initially say we wanted a like for like replacement, but I think they are going to give us market value for the car and my company will let me choose a new one. Could mean I end up with another e-Golf, but gives me more options especially now there is a bit more choice in the EV market.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
That does sound scary! The insurance company told me they had seen footage of it falling off the ramp and said it was extremely scary to see it happen and very very lucky no one was hurt.

We did initially say we wanted a like for like replacement, but I think they are going to give us market value for the car and my company will let me choose a new one. Could mean I end up with another e-Golf, but gives me more options especially now there is a bit more choice in the EV market.
If the lift was not defective and by all accounts it was not.
Then one can only assume that one of arms of the lift was not put under the body shell of the car when it was lifted !.
I have seen one almost fall off a lift a long time ago.
The lift started to raise then when it was about five feet off the ground, one side continued to lift and the passengers side just stopped.
The car almost tipped off the lift.
When the lift engineer strip it down, he found that the key way had sheered off in one side of the lift but it still continued to lift the side with the motor attached !.
The car had to be lowered manually.
The key way that sheered cost about £2 but it took nearly all day to complete the repair.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts