Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had the N-Connecta for two days and the first evening drove a friend home from redacted to Watford on a short test trip. Received the car with 91% and by the end of my 40+ miles - with very mixed driving styles to play - I was at about 60%. Left the car at home yesterday, both because I wanted to see it charge off solar but also because the congestion charge discount is still being processed, and pushed 17kWh into it.

I'm not worrying about GOM range at this stage as I am still learning the different modes and styles, but it went back up to 160 miles when I checked after getting home.

The graph below - ignore the "live" numbers in the top two rows - from yesterday. The car charger happily and correctly tracks the advertised power just like the Outlander - not a surprise, but nice to see work first time. Those three little blips at the end are probably balancing? The blip at 7am was me testing manually I had plugged in OK and supplying the minimal 6A for a bit.

upload_2018-5-16_11-27-4.png

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very interesting. I too have ordered an N-Connecta, and I'm awaiting Solar PV and Zappi installation.Just explained this graph to the wife and she was impressed. What charger / software are you using ?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Zappi will do roughly the same thing. Mine is "homebrew" and is made up of an emonpi + emontx + mqtt wifi relay all via openenergymonitor.org and then another Raspberry Pi outside (in a weatherproof box) driving a serial connection to an ABL Sursum EVSE. The software part is built using node-red - originally on the emonpi but moved direct to the outside RPi - which takes inputs over MQTT, does some calculations and timing, and switches the relay on/off after suitable delays and then also tells the EVSE how much current is available which in turn tells the car.

Like I said, the Zappi will do all of this in one box :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moi? Yes.I took an Outlander on lease 3 years ago when it suited my needs, now at the end of the lease I went for a 2018 Leaf - again on lease as I look forward to where tech takes us in three more years :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As an aside, today was the second day the battery was depleted enough to take a whole day's solar; from about 47% to about 93% in 21.1kWh. It's only really going to be about 3 months a year I'll be able to do this, but just "top ups" of between 5 and 10kWh a day will be plenty for most of my needs. I like only "having" to charge about once a week for normal use, with only monthly longer journeys.

upload_2018-6-6_19-22-7.png

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you would be kind enough to let me know how to charge to 953%, I would be delighted to attempt 1000 miles without recharging in my Leaf 30 (in summer that is).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you would be kind enough to let me know how to charge to 953%, I would be delighted to attempt 1000 miles without recharging in my Leaf 30 (in summer that is).
Yeah, yeah, I edited it already :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
As an aside, today was the second day the battery was depleted enough to take a whole day's solar; from about 47% to about 93% in 21.1kWh. It's only really going to be about 3 months a year I'll be able to do this, but just "top ups" of between 5 and 10kWh a day will be plenty for most of my needs. I like only "having" to charge about once a week for normal use, with only monthly longer journeys.

View attachment 98737
Well it yook me a while to get all the gear but here we go. My first home charge with the zappi in Eco+ mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday was indeed a good day. Pushed close to the maximum I can expect at this time of year on a clear day into the car after finally taking it down to about 35% SOC from the day before.

upload_2018-7-16_9-51-36.png

1 - 10 of 10 Posts