Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first trip to the supercharger was painless, The crystal in Docklands has two bays one of which was occupied by a tesla demo vehicle, so I rolled up plugged in and began to charge. No RFID cards needed just press the button on the charge head and pop open the charger port.

Soon as I connected charging commenced however I did notice it was a little slow about 50 miles per hour of charge, this was because the other car was drawing a significant amount of power however as it charge my power usage began to rise rapidly currently about 120 mphc

Its simple to use and to be honest I now see how complicated the ecotricity chargers must seem to new EV owners.

All in all a great experience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great to hear it was a painless experience. Talking to Tesla, the current setup is apparently a temporary site until they are able to install the finished Supercharger so perhaps that's why there was no RFID card needed? Although we've tested the LHD Model S in the past, we get the RHD one on 5th August next week. We're thinking of heading over to the Crystal for a gander and a test of the Supercharger system too, so good to hear it works!

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Great to hear it was a painless experience. Talking to Tesla, the current setup is apparently a temporary site until they are able to install the finished Supercharger so perhaps that's why there was no RFID card needed? Although we've tested the LHD Model S in the past, we get the RHD one on 5th August next week. We're thinking of heading over to the Crystal for a gander and a test of the Supercharger system too, so good to hear it works!
No none of the SC's need RFID, they talk to the car, and the car knows if it can SC or not, that's it!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Brilliant Jon great to hear it all went smoothly, now they need to get these things all over the place :) that one isnt really convenient for me at the moment, sure they are going to spring up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes spoke to a couple of tesla employees who were there today, planning to install six bays in the very near future.

No RFIDs on any superchargers anywhere, you just plug in and go

The setup is the two bay supercharger that was there at the launch, just in a different location.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brilliant Jon great to hear it all went smoothly, now they need to get these things all over the place :) that one isnt really convenient for me at the moment, sure they are going to spring up pretty quickly.
There were a group of Tesla employees there who told me the plan for the next one is west drayton.

Two bays in the workshop and six out front, coming very soon

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
So is the 80% of a leaf charged in half an hour 160 mph?

I thought the superchargers were a lot quicker than chademo?
For me an 80% charge is good for about 48 miles, so only 96mph or so.

Chademo tops out at 50kw (limited to 43kw on ecotricity installations) and Superchargers currently top out at 130kw.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It was at 50% SoC when I started, which I think is already past the peak charging rate. I guess most charging systems would also start tapering around then?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
For me an 80% charge is good for about 48 miles, so only 96mph or so.

Chademo tops out at 50kw (limited to 43kw on ecotricity installations) and Superchargers currently top out at 130kw.
That may be the difference. I would expect to get around 1 mile from every % in my Leaf. But I am happy hypermiling (as long as it is safe).

The Tesla rate of charges perhaps allows for a more energetic driving style ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts