Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I commute 80-90 miles daily, about 2/3 of which is motorway. I’m thinking of getting a 2 to 3 year old Zoe. Something like a R90 41kW model. I’m assuming that’s going to cost £14k-£16k from ads I’ve seen so far. My presumption is that an owned, not leased, battery is the way to go. I’m happy to keep the car for lots of years (5 to 10) and plan to use it for little else aside from the commute. I‘m new to EVs. Does the above sounds like a daft plan?

I’ve seen threads on here about what to look out for on a per-car basis; check manufacturers warranty, battery health if possible, heating, A/C etc. But are the basics of the above plan sensible?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Well it's exactly what I do...!

Bought a battery owned R90 this time last year and have only covered 4,500miles, but I'm starting a new job next month that will require me to commute 80miles a day. I have no home charging so need to rely on the chargers at the office pretty heavily. Will see how well that works....

If you can charge at home it will be more than achievable. Even in the winter you will have plenty of spare range each day (when I tried the commute, it only used 60miles of the cars range).

Would definitely recommend the battery owned version. Try to pair it with deposit contributions from the main dealer if possible. Your price estimate is about right, but it may take some time for good examples to come up. Battery owned R90s are few and far between, and you have to be quick when they do come up.

Make sure to do the checks to ensure its a battery owned model. Ring RCI and asking for confirmation is one good method.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... it’s just a tool to get me to work & back. I need it to be cheap to run & reliable. No need for anything super sporty. Got that out of my system in younger years!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,264 Posts
Your budget is too low for battery owned. Your range will reduce with degredation over time but your 90miles on a full charge at motorway speed even in winter should remain do-able for a good few years. Maybe not 10, or a particularly bad winter though.

Definitely buy one still in Manufacture warranty and pay the £300+ each year to Renault to extend the full car warranty. You can do this up to 10 years old or 100k miles. After that sell it and don't look back though, you could get lucky and run it for much longer but if it breaks it WILL be costly to repair (at least when its under warranty it'll be fine and £300 a year is nothing for peace of mind).

Reactions: Mermoo and evescu

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,406 Posts
Hi folks. I commute 80-90 miles daily, about 2/3 of which is motorway. I’m thinking of getting a 2 to 3 year old Zoe. Something like a R90 41kW model. I’m assuming that’s going to cost £14k-£16k from ads I’ve seen so far. My presumption is that an owned, not leased, battery is the way to go. I’m happy to keep the car for lots of years (5 to 10) and plan to use it for little else aside from the commute. I‘m new to EVs. Does the above sounds like a daft plan?

I’ve seen threads on here about what to look out for on a per-car basis; check manufacturers warranty, battery health if possible, heating, A/C etc. But are the basics of the above plan sensible?
It's sounds a good plan. However, there are benefits to going with a lease. Your monthly payments will be less. You have a guarantee that the battery will never drop below 75% State of Health. That means that if your range (given usual provisos of driving style, weather, etc) drops below around 120 miles summer and 100ish miles winter you will get a new battery pack. You will also have access to EVAssist which you will have on call if you get in trouble (not just with charging problems). The downsides with this is that the financial advantage drops of after 4 or 5 years of ownership and that it attracts an 8p a mile excess as well as the cars 8p on PCP.

Also battery owned are quite rare and as said above around £17/18k.

Reactions: evescu

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you want reliable make sure you extend the warranty, as when the zoe goes wrong it costs ££££ so you need to factor in this cost of around £300 a year.

you won’t get battery owned for less than £18k at the moment on a ZE40

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
you won’t get battery owned for less than £18k at the moment on a ZE40
Issue is most of the battery owned models are R110, so a lot newer. R90's do come up, and £15-£16k is certainly achievable, but it takes a huge amount of patience and constant checking.

Renault were offering £1,000 deposit contribution on the Zoe's, so if you could find a ZE40-i for £18k, you could feasibly knock them down by £500 and then get the deposit contribution to reduce it a further £1,000. However I think the contribution has recently reduced to as low as £250 now.....

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
If you factor in fuel saved then it’s not gonna take long to recoup £

ZE40 will work perfectly

and if you get into the octopus go electricity tariff (see my signature block) then your daily commute/electricity costs will be around £2

motorway though you need to be at 65mph max to maintain decent range

for those miles battery owned is probably the only sensible option if you can stretch to the extra outlay.

your use case is the ideal one for the current EV tech

Happy to help out with any info

JJ

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would definitely take leasing into consideration as there are some great deals out there at fair prices and with all maintenance and roadside assistance covered.

1 - 13 of 12 Posts