Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So only the same as a 1200 GSA then. :)

Made up from bits of the i3.

Maybe I can pick one up second hand somewhere...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just in case anyone was wondering, that’s not my beer I put down to take the shot. It’s the owner’s. ;)

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
That's 'Best-selling' WW2 sidecars.
See them like Porsche - laziest designers this side of the Danube.
Absolutely....
Was recently disgusted with a mate, whose taste in bikes I've respected for years, after he ordered one of these 'retro' BMW cafe racers things.
An engine that dates back to the middle ages, with a fairing out of a 1970s Rickman catalogue.
Call it 'retro' and slap an £11000 price tag on it.
They even charge extra for wire wheels!!!
Utter joke bikes, it's only the fact that they make the wonderful S1000RR/HP4 that saves BMW from being blanked from my bike mind.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. I think they recently introduced water cooling, but they've stuck with push rods.

I remember asking about it when I saw 'adjust tappets' on the service invoice...

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
There's an online video featuring Jeremy McWilliams, where he takes this horrible retro R9T thing out on track.
As they're leaning it over in the paddock, to check ground clearance on the ridiculous engine layout, it pees oil all over the floor!
Bent cylinder head bolt, on a brand new bike.
So they've been building these boxer engines since 1746 and still can't get them right....

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you shouldn't be taking it to a track. It's for the Cafe only.

Of course you can tell everyone it's awesome on the track. Don't have to actually do the track day - that's insanity.

Back to the original thread - I think this BMW electric moped is a better bet than a Zero. Thoughts?

·
CTiD
409 Posts
Absolutely....
Was recently disgusted with a mate, whose taste in bikes I've respected for years, after he ordered one of these 'retro' BMW cafe racers things.
An engine that dates back to the middle ages, with a fairing out of a 1970s Rickman catalogue.
Call it 'retro' and slap an £11000 price tag on it.
They even charge extra for wire wheels!!!
Utter joke bikes, it's only the fact that they make the wonderful S1000RR/HP4 that saves BMW from being blanked from my bike mind.
Don’t knock them till you’ve tried one... this example really is a work of art and shed-built too:

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2016/03/15/80-bmw-r80-avro-customs.html

·
Registered
3,932 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not even remotely interested.
I have to like the way a bike looks to ride it, these retro things are just people wanting to re-live their youth, like riding one will suddenly make them thin again....
We're talking BMW riders. I can't remember seeing a thin one.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I'm looking forward to more retro devices.
Like LED TVs being sold in massive wooden boxes and no remote controls.
"Retro...innit..."

·
CTiD
409 Posts
Not even remotely interested.
I have to like the way a bike looks to ride it, these retro things are just people wanting to re-live their youth, like riding one will suddenly make them thin again....
Thank goodness we are all different eh.... one man's meat is another man's poison as they say....

What is your ideal motorcycle then or can't we ask?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts