Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a last minute work trip to Dublin tomorrow, the only flights I can get are out of Stansted.

As home to Stansted is over 120 miles, and I'm flying back Sunday. Even if I had an 85 I'm not sure I'd undertake this particular trip without charging, due to the daily losses.

In a perfect world there would be somewhere to charge, but Zap Map says no.

I don't have dual chargers (switched on anymore ;) ) and I'm not wasting 3hours charging at various Ecotricity points on the way. (Superchargers are a non existant)

So in this case the ICE wins...

·
1,298 Posts
I have a last minute work trip to Dublin tomorrow, the only flights I can get are out of Stansted.

As home to Stansted is over 120 miles, and I'm flying back Sunday. Even if I had an 85 I'm not sure I'd undertake this particular trip without charging, due to the daily losses.

In a perfect world there would be somewhere to charge, but Zap Map says no.

I don't have dual chargers (switched on anymore ;) ) and I'm not wasting 3hours charging at various Ecotricity points on the way. (Superchargers are a non existant)

So in this case the ICE wins...
Sometimes you have to run ICE and that's a decision for the individual to do... If you can cover a good majority of your travel on EV. That's a good start.

Bon Voyage.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes you have to run ICE and that's a decision for the individual to do... If you can cover a good majority of your travel on EV. That's a good start.

Bon Voyage.
Yep, today I drove 170 miles in the Tesla. I grabbed 10 miles of charge at the services, and maybe 30 at Silverstone circuit before I did the decent thing and let an i3 use the point ;).

Still back with 60 miles range, so all is good!

·
Registered
571 Posts
There are ZCW charging points at the radisson Blu at Stansted. It's right next to the terminal, if it's for a short trip then parking charges are not excessive.
13 amp and 32 amp commando.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are ZCW charging points at the radisson Blu at Stansted. It's right next to the terminal, if it's for a short trip then parking charges are not excessive.
13 amp and 32 amp commando.
Thanks Alexander.
Yep I did see them... but I don't have a Commando EVSE :( (Or more specifically one that works with a Model S on V6.0 firmware)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surprised nothing near Stanstead how about justpark.com any on that?
TBH I'm flying out on business, and it's eating into my weekend, I'll just run the short term car park bill through work, and save myself some time and grief.

I need to get into the office tomorrow morning, then blast straight down to Stansted for midday. I don't get back on Sunday until 3pm, so want to get home to spend at least some time with wife and kids.

The Radisson would have worked, but no Type 2 has put a spanner in those works :(

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want to stop by Cambridge and swap your Tesla for my Ampera, that will get you to Stansted and back again, whilst I lovingly charge and look after your tesla ;)

I live right by the M11, so its not even going to cost you any time to swap over !
Thanks Lee,

I think I'll pass for now, next time when I can give you more notice. This feels like too much of a short term imposition ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've been trying to find something online but no luck, is there is any place in the UK to hire bmw i3 Rex or ampera? Then I would be able to start to think about selling my lexus.. now I have it for abroad trips (minimum 3200 miles up and down)..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I got offered an i3 Rex for three days after I told them how good the Nissan test drive was. Just depends how far you want to go in it I suppose :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've been trying to find something online but no luck, is there is any place in the UK to hire bmw i3 Rex or ampera? Then I would be able to start to think about selling my lexus.. now I have it for abroad trips (minimum 3200 miles up and down)..
You can theoretically get an extended test drive on both, but it depends a lot on your local dealers.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I was going to hire a Tesla for this weekend, today through til Monday..... Came out at over £1600.
Yes the rental prices I saw were eye watering.

How much would people think is fair for a Friday to Monday rental of an S?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts