Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the temperatures dropping, I'm arriving home with <20% battery remaining - that's not an issue and I'm not yet worrying how much further it will go down as the temperature drops further.
Yesterday evening, I ended up diverting on the home journey due to a long, slow queue with no visible reason (I've seen it a few times recently on this stretch, it adds about 10 minutes to the journey) which took me down some windy back roads. As a result, I made it home with only 16% remaining - again, not an issue, and I wasn't suffering any anxiety.

I've been setting the car to charge in the early hours of the morning - partially to keep the battery warm during the cold nights (no idea if that's actually a valid thing to do) and partially in preparation for switching to E7 at some point.
Having been home for an hour, Mrs Flipper decided that a takeaway was the order of the day - but the discount code meant it needed to be collected. A quick check of the route discovered it to be 4.8 miles away - with the GOM on the LEAF showing a somewhat pessimistic 13 miles.
By this point, it was raining and the wind was quite blustery...

So, sad to say, I bottled it and took the wife's car. But only because I was getting food and couldn't risk being stranded and leaving the family hungry!

But I felt dirty, and feel that I have betrayed the EV Brotherhood.
Can I be forgiven, or am I destined to be cast asunder as a traitor to the cause?

·
Registered
72 Posts
At least you wouldn't have gone hungry if the battery had left you stranded. I sometimes take our ICE out on trips. Mainly to keep the cobwebs out of the car but also keep it's traction battery topped up (Hybrid running gear).

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
With 13 miles on the GOM you had at least 20 miles of careful driving (no hills) even in a Mk1. I'd have done it without giving it a second thought :)

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
36 Posts
Hahaha..... My first thought was "bottle job" then I thought about Mrs Flipper and the pain that you would have suffered had the LEAF not made it back with said take-away nice and hot.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Frankly, you haven't been inducted into the EV club until you arrive somewhere with --- showing and then have to wonder if you need to push the car towards a plug socket :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
One other advantage of the ice would be to put the heater on full whack directed at the foot well to keep tea warm.

(Us REXs are a bit more forgiving than them BEV lot ;))

·
Registered
558 Posts
Coward. I'd have done it in the LEAF.

Mostly because we have no ICE alternative in the family, so it's not even on the cards. ;)
Brave man, It's easy to have an EV with the back up of an ICE but I suppose you just have to get around it/used to it.

You only have 100% range if you can drive 100% of it....;)
I like that, it sounds like something they would say on Fast and Furious: EV edition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts