Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took a road trip that total mileage would be close to the full range of the Tesla, but since I would be passing Birmingham I decided to try the new supercharger. A lot has been said by some people on this site about city centre deployments and how this is giving the wrong image about EVs so let me dispel a few of these.

From the M6 to the Supercharger is less than 3 miles down the Aston expressway (that bit of motorway into Birmingham with no central reservation) Yes it was sunday so light traffic but it was complicated by the tunnels being closed for repairs so it took a few mins more to reach the charger. Total time from leaving motorway to arrival 6 minutes.

As I arrived I could see the chargers behind a chained off area reserved for valet parked cars, as i pulled up thinking how do I get in there, a nice gentleman from the valet service appeared immediately and removed the chain and I pulled into the first bay

For those who have never seen a supercharger they are very simple devices, no complex screens just one connector with a button on the top, you press it, your charge flap opens and you plug in - job done your charging. I had used up just over 100 miles of range since leaving home and I was able to top up in less than 15 minutes back to full.

With regards to the location its great, I went and had a nice coffee (it was no more expensive than costa or starbucks), I used a very nice toilet in the lobby of the 5 star hotel (much nicer smelling than a motorway services) and I borrowed a few bits of wifi while I drank said coffee.

To those who think this is somehow elitist to put a charger at a 5 star hotel and it somehow gives the wrong impression of EVs, I suggest you try it yourself, nothing elitist, just great location, great facility and nice people who are willing to help and assist you with no requirement for you to pay a penny. There is no issue if you want to walk round the corner for a coffee rather than avail yourself of the hotels facilities.

All in all a very nice experience and a good example of how charging can be done right.

One tip for those following a sat nav, it will tell you to turn left out of the the hotel and then turn left again before doing a U turn, due to the tunnel closures you will just come back to the hotel,so turn right and then first left at the bottom of the hill and you will be good to go.

IMG_2913.jpg
IMG_2914.jpg

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Nice. But I still think it would be better installing these superchargers just off major motorway routes.

Out of interest how many superchargers are at this Birmingham location?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dean agree but I think have facilities is also important, went back via corley services this afternoon and to be honest wished I had gone back to the hyatt

two bays like the other UK ones to date

·
1,550 Posts
Considering the number of ICEd spots I see on the Internet from EV folks from the UK that I've seen, having the chargers in a valet area with a barrier is the smartest thing that Tesla's done. It seems that several locations across the US have been dealing with ICE cars taking the supercharger spots and it does make some sense to have someone help keep these spots free.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep and even if the valet guys park a ICE in the supercharger bays they at least have the keys to move it if someone needs to charge

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
200mph. That'll do nicely! I briefly saw 94A today in wife's leaf before it started to drop. 394v. No idea how many miles per hr that is. Btw mph works very well on a tesla. It just makes sense. Converting kwhs amps etc is great for us geeky adopters but for the masses Mph is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree its very wife friendly, when she asks how long are we going to be :)

In theory thats half the rate the super charger is capable of, but given I was half charged it only gave me 70kw

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I'm going to try the charger Friday evening (around 6pm so a good test of the traffic situation!) on my way to Salisbury. I'll also have used about 100 miles of range so looking forward to a brief stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts