Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
Collect my Leaf 30 on Saturday (my first EV) and just looking for some advice. I am driving from Cannock to just beyond Glasgow which will make for a fun first trip!! Pick up is from Brindley Nissan and I've requested it's 100% charged and preheated, they know I'm heading up north so for now lets assume they do their bit!

I've run a couple of options through Zap Map. As I'll have a nice warm 100% battery for the first leg it's sort of the most important and if things went my way I could stop 3 times instead of 4. The weather may of course play it's part, it does look set to be quite cold on Saturday. Ultimately not in any rush but it's going to be a long day, train down first thing and leaving Cannock circa 2pm.

I'm tooled up with Ecotricity and various other apps etc.

First leg is either a comfortable (right?!) 80 miles to Charnock Richard or a more ambitious/brave/stupid/suicidal/stressful 105 miles to Lancaster North... on Zap Map there seems to be a lot issues with the Ecotricity chargers at Charnock Richard can anyone shed any light on those? It really limits my options if I can't charge there on the CHAdeMO.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Stop frequently, relax and have a plan B and C at each stop. 105 miles is too much I think, plan around 70-80 miles max. maybe less after a 80% rapid charge.
Enjoy the trip :)
Totally agree with above. Keep the speed down otherwise you will chew through the battery really fast and just spend more time charging. Nice and steady is the ticket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Always have a backup plan- if you stretch your range to get to a rapid and you arrive and find its broken or iced then you have few options.

Rapid charging is quicker earlier in the charge, so charging little and often will work better than trying to do a few full charges.

Your battery will probably be cold when you pick it up; rapid charging warms it but slow charging doesn’t so much. To get it to 100% for you the dealer will probably put it on a slow charge.

Wrap up warm so you can roll without much heater.

Don’t forget a mobile phone charger. When I bought mine and made a long journey I forgot one and I couldn’t get on a podpoint. I had to go and buy one in a nearby Argos!

If it is a cold day, when you are charging on a rapid, get the heater on really hot and get the car steaming- that energy isn’t coming from your battery.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
As above, aim to do more like 70-80.
Rub down to 15-20 miles then charge to 85% and move on.
Lymm services is free vends still(closest one to Macdonald's)
And then tebay north are both Freevend.
You can just reach tebay north from Lymm at 65mph if your at 85% charge...
Personally I'd stop at Lancaster for literally a 5min top up as each time I push to Tebay I get down to <10% or "---" then Gretna after that.
Also don't forget free charges at nissan. Or Instavolt as well

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering about heating whilst charging - good to know, cheers. I am planning on taking warm weather gear to wear so won't have the heater on...well maybe the heated steering wheel for a treat. Also have plenty battery packs for my phone etc that I'll have with me anyways.

Thanks for the replies folks - interesting point on the little and often and the quicker earlier charge. I'll stick the cruise control at 65.

And thanks for the Lymm tip - I've just tweaked the Zap Map route; Cannock - Lymm - Lancaster - Tebay - Gretna - Hamilton - Home. Plenty of redundancy on that approach, I'm glad I won't be relying on Ecotricity for the rest of my ownership

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about warm weather stuff, heated seats and such don't zap much and if the car is already warm the best thing is having heating and AC on to keep the windscreen clear as well. I set mine to 19-22'c and leave it on fan level 2. It really doesn't zap much miles, espeically on recirc and makes a comfier trip. I tend to stick to a 15min stop rule, 20 at most as enough time to go for a walk.

Pull up to charger, hop out and plug in and get charge going. Then back into the car, get coat on and wallet/phone and go for a pit stop and wander. Time soon goes and your back at the car. More so when your paying for it...
It charges at about .7-.8kwh per minute so in 20mins you've got aabout 15kw so half a battery charged. This is where little and often comes in as the charge rate is fastest between approx 10-85% before ramping down quickly and hard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300 miles done and I’m home. All went to plan despite the 2 degrees temp for the 75 mile leg from Gretna to Hamilton, got there with 17% left. That was as low as I got. 3 of the 5 ecotricity chargers I used were free vend, bonus.
Thanks again for the advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts