Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we tried the Leaf yesterday and very impressed. However, I have said that Mrs. Stacey wouldn't like the bongs and 'apparent' misting. Well, the bongs didn't phase her and the misting didn't happen so, that's that then. Well nearly, if it wasn't for a couple of things.

Mike Schooling on here has asked about Nissan Worcester, as he has the car that we had on trial for a 3day trial and I've replied to that. In short, not 100% convinced as there was a little whiff of 'shift the metal', about the place. There was a very nice showroom etc but, something was lacking and Mrs. S sensed it. As it's going to be her car and she's a District Nurse she calls the shots.

I was impressed with the car, a basic model, but the consumption with heating on was worrying, especially when one considers that there is going to be an awful lot of stop start journeys for the car. One stumbling block, is that the grandkids are 80 mls away in mid Wales and there ain't a lot of charging in that neck of the woods,plus 3pin charging takes forever on the leaf. This means Nanny has to borrow my car for journey, which she hates, except when it is snowy as it's a 4*4.

We'll be trying the Leaf again in Jan/Feb for a week, so she can have a full try for work, as it's a perfect fit for that but, the Soul ev is going to come onto the radar by then and we are very hopeful about that one, Sadly, our local dealer isn't an ev dealer but there is one in Newport, 60 mls away, and they are very friendly and willing to do the buisness.

Will keep everyone updated as it pans out.

Glyn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what you're saying, it sounds rather as if a present day EV may not actually be suitable for your stated needs.
Not at all. I think the 'right' ev is a fit. We're not really sure that the Leaf will be. I call that progress and that Kia may have stolen a lead. G.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Bear in mind that if you were testing a Visia, the heater is much more energy greedy. The heater in Acenta and Tekna models has much less effect on range.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yep. Got that car atm and heater on drops the range by about 25%

·
Registered
731 Posts
Also I think you lose too many features going for the visia, I know carwings isn't great but it works most of the time remotely and the sat nav is pretty good too. I tend to pre hear my car then turn the heater off once I set off and rely on the heated seats. (Although using the heater on the gen 2 makes very little differance to range once its warmed up) I wouldn't give my leaf back now even the ever doubting wife wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running around with the heating on in a lot of short distance start/stop operations will affect range significantly. Whilst it may well cover a district nurse's round in good weather, it may also not do so in cold weather and be able to maintain toasty cabin temperatures at the same time.

It could certainly run down to Newport, and would probably make your grandchildrens postcode, in good weather. You'd need a charge to get home though.

However it might not quite have that same range capability in times of bitter cold.

So, coupled with your implying there's a severe lack of charge points in the area, I'd say you need to wait for an EV with a longer range, or wait for charging facilities to improve.
I'm very aware of your points, however, as the District Nurse daily mileage will be about 40ml with occasional weekends being 60ish that should be well do able, although not with the Visia. that's true.

The ability of the Soul to have greater range and charge more quickly using 3pin would cover the journey to midWales. If, as has been implied, the new leaf has more battery and shorter charging times, then it may fit the bill. However, as far as Hylton Worcester were concerned, they didn't know when that would be happening.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm very aware of your points, however, as the District Nurse daily mileage will be about 40ml with occasional weekends being 60ish that should be well do able, although not with the Visia. that's true.

The ability of the Soul to have greater range and charge more quickly using 3pin would cover the journey to midWales. If, as has been implied, the new leaf has more battery and shorter charging times, then it may fit the bill. However, as far as Hylton Worcester were concerned, they didn't know when that would be happening.
Have the Visia, and a similar driving profile to your wife - I work in community mental health.

The start stop journeys are good for range - the Leaf motor is optimised for efficency at low speeds. Still getting high 90's range in freezing weather and as much as 114 in summer. But I do have a very light right foot.

Buying again I would get the heat pump - not for myself, happy to dress warm - but for my passengers. The Soul I think has a different heating solution - capturing heat from within the car - but not sure it has the heat pump? Worth considering.

Mid Wales is a charging desert. But look at the zero charging world locations if you have not already - they have a scattering in Hay, Newtown, Machynnlech etc

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not going to charge quicker on a 3 pin. The leaf doesn't max out its charge rate on a 3 pin either.

charge rate will be limited by the 3 pin socket
According to the manufacturers bumpf, the leaf needs 21hrs to charge from zero to 100% using a 3pin domestic socket. The Soul does the same thing in 11-14hrs. No doubt you have to give and take a bit on both sets of figures.

Have the Visia, and a similar driving profile to your wife - I work in community mental health.

The start stop journeys are good for range - the Leaf motor is optimised for efficency at low speeds. Still getting high 90's range in freezing weather and as much as 114 in summer. But I do have a very light right foot.

Buying again I would get the heat pump - not for myself, happy to dress warm - but for my passengers. The Soul I think has a different heating solution - capturing heat from within the car - but not sure it has the heat pump? Worth considering.

Mid Wales is a charging desert. But look at the zero charging world locations if you have not already - they have a scattering in Hay, Newtown, Machynnlech etc
You have to love forums! Thanks for that info Steve, as lo and behold there is a zero charge point within walking distance of where the grandkids live in Trgynon at Gregynog Hall. We walk around the grounds and have been for proper afternoon tea there. They have both Mennekes type2 and 3pin. Although, as we're 76ml from Trgynon it's still not really doable in a Leaf.However, in a Soul most definitley I think with the xtra miles. Soul does have a heatpump and also a nice touch, in that one can set the heating/ac to just the drivers side for single occupancy driving. Mind you, so did my much loved Merc nearly 30yrs ago!

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
According to the manufacturers bumpf, the leaf needs 21hrs to charge from zero to 100% using a 3pin domestic socket. The Soul does the same thing in 11-14hrs. No doubt you have to give and take a bit on both sets of figures.

You have to love forums! Thanks for that info Steve, as lo and behold there is a zero charge point within walking distance of where the grandkids live in Trgynon at Gregynog Hall. We walk around the grounds and have been for proper afternoon tea there. They have both Mennekes type2 and 3pin. Although, as we're 76ml from Trgynon it's still not really doable in a Leaf.However, in a Soul most definitley I think with the xtra miles. Soul does have a heatpump and also a nice touch, in that one can set the heating/ac to just the drivers side for single occupancy driving. Mind you, so did my much loved Merc nearly 30yrs ago!
21hours is dead wrong! At the most it's 10-11 hours (from totally flat) on 3 pin. If you're doing 40 miles a day 5 hours is enough.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for that sir! That puts a slightly different slant on things and another negative against Hylton Worcester.
Will they also sell you a special gold plated charge lead that massages the electrons so it charges faster as well?

I'd expect the Soul and Leaf to have the same charge rate from a 3 pin socket. Can confirm from empty the Leaf takes about 10 hours on a 3 pin to get back to 100%.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wonder where 21 hours came from? remember its very unlikely its going to be totally flat too or to to be totally fully charged.

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
21hours is dead wrong! At the most it's 10-11 hours (from totally flat) on 3 pin. If you're doing 40 miles a day 5 hours is enough.
21 hours is from a US 117V socket.

I'd expect the Soul and Leaf to have the same charge rate from a 3 pin socket.
Both will charge at 2.2kW from a 3 pin socket, but LEAF has a smaller battery. LEAF could take less time to charge than a Soul. It depends on miles per kWh. Too early know how many miles a Soul will go on a kWh.

Dealer really shouldn't be using a Visia for their demo. The heat pump makes a big difference. Even more so if you are doing multiple trips during the day and have to keep heating up the car when it is not plugged in.

No rapids planned for mid Wales but there are many 7kW charge points heading west from Malvern. I'd say it is worth getting the 6.6kW optional charger and a handful of RFID cards.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
21 hours could be the US timing if it's being charged at 110 volts.

I've got an Acenta with the heat pump. It affects distance less than I thought. Yesterday I drove 50 miles home from Maidstone with the heater on all the time. I started with 63% and still had 6% in the battery when I got home. Having said that, I think that the heater has a lot more effect on range when you are doing a lot lot stop-start driving. It's the highest-consumption bit of the car which still works flat out when you are stopped in a queue as it does when you are going along at 50mph.

I would be uncomfortable starting an 80 mile journey without an en route charge point, especially in bad weather. I don't think you would get there if it were raining heavily, and ISTR that Wales has a bit of a reputation as being not quite so dry as the Kalahari Desert.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't be surprised about the super du
Will they also sell you a special gold plated charge lead that massages the electrons so it charges faster as well?

I'd expect the Soul and Leaf to have the same charge rate from a 3 pin socket. Can confirm from empty the Leaf takes about 10 hours on a 3 pin to get back to 100%.
21 hours is from a US 117V socket.

Both will charge at 2.2kW from a 3 pin socket, but LEAF has a smaller battery. LEAF could take less time to charge than a Soul. It depends on miles per kWh. Too early know how many miles a Soul will go on a kWh.

Dealer really shouldn't be using a Visia for their demo. The heat pump makes a big difference. Even more so if you are doing multiple trips during the day and have to keep heating up the car when it is not plugged in.

No rapids planned for mid Wales but there are many 7kW charge points heading west from Malvern. I'd say it is worth getting the 6.6kW optional charger and a handful of RFID cards.
So that's the answer! Can't see why that got thrown at me, although we were talking about various forums, so maybe a touch of crossed threads. If they do do a gold charging cable, it had better come in best leather and gold trimming case!!
I agree about using the Visia, although all it really needs to be an awful lot better is the heat pump as so often the more basic models done properly can be the best buys. Sadly, in this case it doesn't really work, so an Acenta would seem to be the most likely demonstrator really. When we do the weekly test in the new year, I think it will be more oppropriate to have an Acenta.

As always thanks people. Glyn.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I also vaguely recall that Zoe's take longer to charge on 3-pin than they should (although 21 hours a bit excessive), so perhaps the Nissan salesman had migrated from the Renault half of the company.

Don't forget to ask for oxygen-free cables ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts