Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG! What a stressful, cold but thoroughly exciting journey, and at a turtle's pace! I set off from Warwick Serv with 51m on the GOM to discover the exit closed and the shortest route home to Kibworth now 52m. The sensible decision would have been to double back up the m40 to Warwick North but I wanted to get home so took a risk.

The first 20m seemed to be mostly downhill so I was soon winning the race of Nav vs GOM with up to 6m in hand. However that soon went 'downhill' as my gen1 struggled uphill after hill after hill. 9m to go and the GOM read - - -; unchartered territory. I tickled the accelerator like there was a kitten under it and breathed a huge sigh as I reached my village. 0.6m to go and the turtle lit up orange on the dash but no worries I'm nearly home. As I pulled on the drive LeafSpy read 4 GIDs and it cut out 2meters from my garage door!! Wow, at least I now know it's limit!
image.png

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Isn't it a tortoise? Turtles are crazy fast, I've seen them in the wild!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hero <high five> :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
A proper turtle mode too! Not like the fake one I did by running the battery down using the heater 5m from my drive.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well done that man! Properly using all the available range!!!

I have only ever done a fake one myself although I have come pretty close on a couple of occasions.

I have heard of one other zero power incident similar to yours where Mark Tebbutt, in his early gen1 Leaf, ran out of power at the top of the hill leading to the Halifax dealer and just rolled into the charging bay... just like in the movies.

4 GIDs remaining... mine stopped at 5 GIDS.

·
Super Moderator
7,721 Posts
My car now hits turtle/tortoise at 9 GIDs :(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ha... that sounds a little like my genuine turtle in the leaf, though I didn't have the leafspy at that point. I hit turtle around a mile from home. fortunately along an estate road at ~1am. I drove around 10 mph home very gingerley. At least I knew I was in walking distance to a wam bed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts