Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is disturbing to read about Model 3 customers complaining about the fit & finish of their Model 3's.
Uneven door alignment and gap variation.
Even with the 2021 version.
It is amazing that cars are sent from the factory in this condition.
Quality control must be ignoring this, and hoping customers do the same?
I am concerned as my Model 3 is due at the end of Feb.
Not a time to be messing about with this during the Pandemic.
What are your experiences with this problem?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The panel alignment on mine was so minor it was hardly an issue. I only noticed it because I went looking for it.

But then my car died after 2 days and has come back with the middle rear seat belt not attached so I don't really associate the words "Quality" and "Tesla" any more!

·
Premium Member
17,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The panel alignment on mine was so minor it was hardly an issue. I only noticed it because I went looking for it.

But then my car died after 2 days and has come back with the middle rear seat belt not attached so I don't really associate the words "Quality" and "Tesla" any more!
Was this recently Matti?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I found this video really interesting:

It's two years old, but he basically goes around checking the paint and panel gaps, compares it against another car (a Subaru in this case) and leaves you to draw your own conclusions.

This video was also really... enlightening...:

·
Registered
Ex MY20 4 - MY21 4+ Due January
157 Posts
Questionable paint job no doubt but have to wonder how the scuffs and scratches got there! Almost as if they occurred prior to assembly and then careless handling? Is painting prior to assembly?
Was certainly tempted by a Tesla (kids would love one) but the S and X way too expensive and the 3’s a saloon with less range than the eNiro (the LR 10k more!)
Will look at the Y when it arrives but quality control issues would have to be resolved before I’d commit.
Our 4+ arriving Wednesday!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wouldn't be happy, but I think it's reasonable to assume that with the amount of cars sold, too many people actually are happy enough with the positives of the car not to be bothered by fit'n'finish...

Love is blind??

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,506 Posts
I wouldn't be happy, but I think it's reasonable to assume that with the amount of cars sold, too many people actually are happy enough with the positives of the car not to be bothered by fit'n'finish...

Love is blind??
What to do you mean "with the amounts of cars sold"? Tesla is at the bottom of the manufacturers, just creaping to the 500k cars manufactured per year. They are also at the bottom of a number of consumer reliability and quality surveys. What more do you want????

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tesla have only been making cars for just over a decade in comparison to others making cars for half a century or more, but I still believe too many Tesla owners are happy with the fit and finish of their cars when they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Love is blind??

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am no doubt what would be classed as ‘fussy’ so will need to see a change in standard before committing to that Model Y - looking to have at least a couple of years to enjoy our Kia 😂

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tesla have only been making cars for just over a decade in comparison toost others making cars for half a century or more, but I still believe too many Tesla owners are happy with the fit and finish of their cars when they shouldn't be.
For me it shouldn't matter if you've only been producing them for a week. Tesla may be a new company, but you can't tell me that they haven't employed people from the motor industry, particularly in areas like QA/QC. As you say, it seems that because people love the brand (myself included) they have to leave their standards at the door and just suck it up when there are issues.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,615 Posts
Tesla have only been making cars for just over a decade in comparison toost others making cars for half a century or more, but I still believe too many Tesla owners are happy with the fit and finish of their cars when they shouldn't be.
I see this written a lot, but what techniques that were commonplace 50 years ago have been carried over to the way cars are built now?

Just in time supply, modular builds, pre-assembly from other suppliers etc are relatively new techniques that Tesla know about.

What can vary is attitudes to quality and what constitutes fit for purpose, all manufacturers will have different ideas on that and/or have them subject to other pressures and considerations.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I see this written a lot, but what techniques that were commonplace 50 years ago have been carried over to the way cars are built now?

Just in time supply, modular builds, pre-assembly from other suppliers etc are relatively new techniques that Tesla know about.

What can vary is attitudes to quality and what constitutes fit for purpose, all manufacturers will have different ideas on that and/or have them subject to other pressures and considerations.
Exactly. And because Tesla know that most of their customers are brand allies they can get away with below average quality at the minute. Once they become mainstream or want to really break in to the normal market things will have to seriously improve.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
539 Posts
Apart from the brand allies point, I suspect another reason why people put up with shoddy fit and finish around the edges with Tesla is that I suspect a disproportionately large number of Teslas are leased given their price level and the benefits of salary sacrifice schemes for BEVs. And people tend not to care as much when it's not their car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Apart from the brand allies point, I suspect another reason why people put up with shoddy fit and finish around the edges with Tesla is that I suspect a disproportionately large number of Teslas are leased given their price level and the benefits of salary sacrifice schemes for BEVs. And people tend not to care as much when it's not their car.
Good point

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
256 Posts
Few weeks back I expressed my disbelieve here that people are willing to pay £40K and get a car with so many issues as frequently reported and I was "slaughtered " from other forum members. But I understand @henryv perfectly well. If I fork out this kind of money I expect to be perfect. You can get Dacia for £7K and I will bet you that it is better put together and if you go at the 40K price bracket, any Audi, VW,, Mercedes etc is with far superior build quality

·
Premium Member
17,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The faults are visible and obvious to most customers.
To people in the Quality control dept, they scream at them, and they don't need any measuring devices to
check the fault.
They work to standards set by 'the bosses' in relation to acceptable standards.
I have worked with quality controllers and they miss very little.
It is therefore reasonable to assume that it is company policy to turn a blind eye, and get the cars out!
Like Microsoft & Sky TV boxes, they let their customers accept the flaws, or take the car back to the Telsa service station,
to rectify the faults.
Either way, the Factory never sees the cars again.
You have already paid, so the problem is passed to you.
I suppose the Trading Standards office could help, but who bothers?
It is great to know that Elon Musk is the Richest man in the World!!:cool::cool:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts