Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I managed to get my New splitter fitted. over the last 2 weeks I tested the car on my commute driving at 50mph & 60mph so I can see the average power it took to fill the car back up to full again.

I will do the same tests over the following 2 weeks with the 18" wheels still fitted then I will run the tests again with the Standard 16's fitted to see if there is any difference.

Zoom in on this picture and you will see that the Splitter isn't a perfect fit for the mk7.5 standard bumper shape. The problem I have found with the splitter manufacturers is that they only do splitters for the R & GTI's

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is exactly the look I want for my GTE!

Where did you purchase the splitter from? I can't find many specifically for the GTE / eGolf bumper.

Also, how did you get rid of the chrome on the Daylight Running Lights?

Love my GTE but think the front bumper is a bit Meh! The Mk 7.5 front ends look much nicer.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is exactly the look I want for my GTE!

Where did you purchase the splitter from? I can't find many specifically for the GTE / eGolf bumper.

Also, how did you get rid of the chrome on the Daylight Running Lights?

Love my GTE but think the front bumper is a bit Meh! The Mk 7.5 front ends look much nicer.
Look up TRC (Triple R Composites UK) splitter and you should find the company, I don't have the link atm as I am in work. If you can zoom in on the Side low profile picture you can see that the splitter doesn't quite match the shape of my e-golf profile, but I made it work and looks ok. I just had to get it perfectly aligned so it was the same on both sides. I went for the 2015 Golf R V1 splitter. I had a look at a few R's out in the wild and i noticed that they dont have the little aero spats on the side return of the lower/underside of the bumper, in the area I am talking about above. But the GTE/e-golf bumper must be slightly different as the older golf R looked the same to my eye.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brilliant. Thank you.

How about the chrome around the bumper daylight lights? What did you do there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks awesome, good job on it. I too have a front splitter coming, will post pics when I get the time to fit it!

Ps: very interested to hear your results in the difference of fuel consumption between stock wheels and 18 inch. I have just put on 18's and B, B labelled tyres, will be good to compare numbers (if I can stop myself launching for a week and actually try to drive economically 😅)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks awesome, good job on it. I too have a front splitter coming, will post pics when I get the time to fit it!

Ps: very interested to hear your results in the difference of fuel consumption between stock wheels and 18 inch. I have just put on 18's and B, B labelled tyres, will be good to compare numbers (if I can stop myself launching for a week and actually try to drive economically 😅)
Which splitter have you gone for prudX?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which splitter have you gone for prudX?
I went with this one from aliexpress, we will have to see how it turns out, I plan on spraying the red accent blue to match the front bumper strip, also picked up some small side skirts that i'm in the process of 24hr bonding to the car with sealant/adhesive
link

·
Registered
24 Posts
That looks great. I'd appreciate it if you could post the results. Really keen to add a splitter to my GTE.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have Pirelli Centurato P7 Blue tyres which are rated A. So far after 2 days of driving to work with the splitter fitted, driving at 60 I haven't noticed any loss in percentage remaining when I get home at night. If the splitter does cause more drag it must be fairly negligible..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also picked up some small side skirts that i'm in the process of 24hr bonding to the car with sealant/adhesive
link
I would love to fit some side skirts, but I am struggling to find something that only needs bonded with 3M VHB tape. I like the GTI little canard style skirts, but they are fixed via a system that needs screwed into the metal cill, then the skirt itself gets clipped onto the grounds. If I could find something that is stickable Id be happier as I don't want anything on my car being permanent. do you have a link to your skirts?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,954 Posts
If the splitter does cause more drag it must be fairly negligible.
You'd expect the splitter to make either no difference or an improvement, it is only their relative vulnerability that stops them being fitted more commonly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes. It's effectively an adhesive backed window Tint. I think it was Walsh graphics I got it from..
Good stuff. Ive looked online and its pretty cheap. Im gessing you layer a peice on top or cut a rough shape out, lay it on top then, form it around the lights and then just trim with a sharpe craft knife?

As for the chrome bar that runs at the bottom of the bumper between the two DLRs. Have you wrapped or painted it? Did you remove it first?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good stuff. Ive looked online and its pretty cheap. Im gessing you layer a peice on top or cut a rough shape out, lay it on top then, form it around the lights and then just trim with a sharpe craft knife?

As for the chrome bar that runs at the bottom of the bumper between the two DLRs. Have you wrapped or painted it? Did you remove it first?
I ordered a 1800 x 300 piece of the tint I think it was. I then cut rectangles and used a heat gun to get it to conform to the light. Once I had it to a point it wouldn't fit in anymore, i used a knife and ran it on the body side of the light cutout so I had excess left to push in with a squeegee or if you dnt have one of those use a credit card.

All the chrome around the car I wrapped. I do it as a hobby. I have wrapped cars and motorbikes over the years. I never removed any parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would love to fit some side skirts, but I am struggling to find something that only needs bonded with 3M VHB tape. I like the GTI little canard style skirts, but they are fixed via a system that needs screwed into the metal cill, then the skirt itself gets clipped onto the grounds. If I could find something that is stickable Id be happier as I don't want anything on my car being permanent. do you have a link to your skirts?
Got this pair, extremely cheap. So far the tec9 sealant/adhesive is holding very well, i'm not expecting to have to screw these in at all.

Here's what they look like on the car. Plus a sneak peak of the busted alloys I refurbished:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got this pair, extremely cheap. So far the tec9 sealant/adhesive is holding very well, i'm not expecting to have to screw these in at all.

Here's what they look like on the car. Plus a sneak peak of the busted alloys I refurbished:
View attachment 137089
Interesting, they look ok... would you have a better full side view... ??

Yea, I definately wont be screwing anything into the metal cills. The splitter is screwed but its mostly into the undertray and the very under curve of the corners of the bumper where it will never be seen when I needed to return the car to standard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts