Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of fitting the Dash Cam I used to have in my old Ampera into the Kona. In the Ampera it was pretty simple as there was an accessory socket located in the center of the dash, in a small bin, so no cables trailing.

I've read a few posts and it's been suggested that the camera could be connected to the red and black wires in the light unit above the windscreen. I've had a quick look, so anyone any idea which ones I should be wiring into? The camera I have starts recording when the ignition switches on and stops recording around two minutes after the ignitian is turned off, so I'm not really after a permanent supply, but that may change if I manage to get one of these 360 cameras which will take an image every couple of seconds when the car is parked up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My 360 (which has just recorded someone running into the back of me) is connected by a long usb cable to the socket under the centre console. When I leave the car anywhere, I simply unplug from the usb socket and plug it into a high capacity portable phone charger. Works a treat and no messing with the car electrics, potentially voiding warranties.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I used the fitting kit available online, straight to the fuse box - very straightforward. Simply push the cables under the trim using a trim tool across the top of the windscreen and down the A pillar, straight into the fuse box, using the piggy-back fuses to add the connection into an existing fuse.

Another Ampera to Kona migrant I see :).

Reactions: andyswarbs

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The Black and Red Wires are Earth & +12v. on the 4 way connector on the left side of your picture the one with 4 wires those are the ones I used for my camera.

They go live when the car door opens and stay live till 5mins after the car powers down, for 24/7 power you will need to go to the fuse box.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Just be really careful that your dashcam will accept a 12V input!! It's quite possible that the cigarette lighter adaptor actually has a 12V->5V convertor in it. If the connector into the dashcam looks like a mobile phone one (i.e. is mini or micro USB) then it will be 5V and wiring it directly into those two wires will have one-way consequences...
My dash cam takes a 5V micro USB input so the hardwire kit I used for it contains a 12V to 5V convertor which I squirrel away by the fuses. The cable that runs inside the trim is then all at 5V.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dash cam is 5v (USB Connectors), I have a converter on order, this should fit in the space next to the lights and then it should just a case of feeding the dash cams USB lead into there from behind the mirror.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The dash cam is 5v (USB Connectors), I have a converter on order, this should fit in the space next to the lights and then it should just a case of feeding the dash cams USB lead into there from behind the mirror. View attachment 134566
There will be plenty of space up there, my 12v converter box was much bigger than that and it slipped in the gap in the headlining

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
When my dashcam was refitted to the new car by Hyundai, they didnt want to wire it back up there because of the extra electronics up there in the 2020 car for the SOS system, so they ran it through the windscreen box then off ( I assume to the fusebox) I have not checked where it actually ends up.

I would have prefered the usb cable to run outside the the windscreen box as I think it looks a bit messy running across to enter the box by the windscreen

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the fitting kit available online, straight to the fuse box - very straightforward. Simply push the cables under the trim using a trim tool across the top of the windscreen and down the A pillar, straight into the fuse box, using the piggy-back fuses to add the connection into an existing fuse.

Another Ampera to Kona migrant I see :).
Richard I am atempting to hard wire my dask cam in My Kona , did you have to remove any panels to route the cable and where did you connect the earth tag ? I can not see any bolt that is accessable .

Sorry to bother you Richard I have now completed my install, I just had to run the earth wire a little further.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
No problem, glad you got it sorted!

In case it's useful for anybody else coming across this thread, this picture shows where I connected the earth tag:

Reactions: arao99

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
No... after Hyundai swore blind that the dashcam was the reason for the 12V failures :rolleyes: I decided the only way to prove them wrong was to connect both the positive connections to a switched 12V instead of one to permanent, one to switched.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts