Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
456 Posts
Very sound advice. Will do. Is there a canbus connector in/near the boot ;-) on a Zoe? There's no room in the glovebox even when its empty!
That I couldn't say, the canbus itself will be there as there's stuff at the back of the car on the canbus obviously. Luckily the bmw battery in the estate along with its controller etc was in the boot, so hooked on that when I did mine.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
834 Posts
:)For those of you following along who have not had your R-Link removed, here are some photos:
Back of R-Link unit:
View attachment 155522

With cables:
View attachment 155523

Cables that connect to R-Link Unit - removed so you can see what they pins look like:
View attachment 155524
I done exactly the same in November 2020 when I had mine out of the dash :)
have a read here:

·
Registered
834 Posts
@TheGrish - will this old thread on here be of any help to you too if you have a read through it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@TheGrish - will this old thread on here be of any help to you too if you have a read through it?
Thanks for the link. Went there and got a severe case of deja vu! I've had this Zoe for about 5 years now and was keen from the beginning to hack the R-Link. I did the simple things like converting the headlights to LEDs, adding a DAB+ radio, checking the SOH of the battery with CanZE, replacing the 12V battery, and installing a charge point (no grant as we don't have off-street parking where we live in SW London)

Went down the rabbit hole more than a few times trying to get CarPlay to work:

1) R-Link Auto Android software update
2) Another update that promised CarPlay
-- all these working for R-Link systems that were put out 6 months after my car rolled off the production line. I was​
3) Homebrew hack for Carplay on an Android tablet

But as the wife drives the car more than me, it could not be a botch-job, so I kept putting it down and just resorted to a phone holder on the dash :) - but was driving a CarPlay equipped car in December and it really makes things much easier, so I circled back a few weeks ago and saw this complete console replacement (aliexpress) and thought that might be the goer. So I figured I'd try this time. The only curve-ball (so far) is that maybe the R-Link needs to be installed as well, so gotta figure that out. I'll first try without it and see how far I get...

Just waiting for an additional CANBus Decoder and wiring harness to arrive (hence no new news). Once received, I'll give it a go and either come back here with the story about how it works (and how to get it working) - or with a fist full of questions needing urgent answers :)

TheGrish

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've given up on Zoe apple car play head unit desire.
If R-Link-1 to 2 ever becomes an option, I'll upgrade at required costs.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've given up on Zoe apple car play head unit desire.
If R-Link-1 to 2 ever becomes an option, I'll upgrade at required costs.
r-Link 2 will do car play ... if not 'out of the box' so to speak then can be hacked to do it ... but (as far as I could tell you cannot fit a rlink2 to where a rlink1 was ) totally different infotainment systems.
In a Clio mk4 which had a Medianav you could physically put a medianav EVO2 in place of the medianav and that had car play (if not standard could be hacked with DDT4all)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks for the link. Went there and got a severe case of deja vu! I've had this Zoe for about 5 years now and was keen from the beginning to hack the R-Link. I did the simple things like converting the headlights to LEDs, adding a DAB+ radio, checking the SOH of the battery with CanZE, replacing the 12V battery, and installing a charge point (no grant as we don't have off-street parking where we live in SW London)

Went down the rabbit hole more than a few times trying to get CarPlay to work:

1) R-Link Auto Android software update
2) Another update that promised CarPlay
-- all these working for R-Link systems that were put out 6 months after my car rolled off the production line. I was​
3) Homebrew hack for Carplay on an Android tablet
TheGrish
ah well now you see the rlink1 in the zoe is not an android tablet ... as far as I know it does not even run on the Android operating system (yep I would put my life on it) - ... sure it will do Android Auto with a DDT4all hack .. but no its not a android head unit / infotainment system

this is why you cannot get one of those Car Play USB Dongles and work it on the rlink1of the Zoe because it needs a android head system where you can download the app from the play store

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Quick update.

Still waiting on the CANBUS cable harness for use with the inline CANBUS decoder so can't do the installation yet.

I did remove the R-Link completely from the console and I can confirm that:
  • The car starts
  • Aircon/heating work
  • The dashboard works as before
  • No warning lights
  • Indicators work
  • Front lights work
  • Cruise control, wipers, Eco mode on-off, speed limiter all work
So I can keep the R-Link on a shelf or sell it after the installation

I will lose:
  • Timed shifted charging
  • Pre-heater for the car (assuming this will go)
  • End of drive, driver summary
  • Consumption graphic
  • and probably some other things that I have never used :)
Happy days!

TheGrish

·
Registered
834 Posts
  • Pre-heater for the car (assuming this will go)
I think (not 100% sure tho) that the remote precon (done when pressing the pre-con button on the keycard and on the app) will still work because i think that is the app precon is done by the TCU (telecommunication communication unit) and the precon by keycard is handled by the BCM ECU (Body control module) of the car which handles other things like door locking etc .. so not tied to the r-link .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts