Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Echo Dot fits perfectly in the MGEV cupholder to add Alexa app applications. I can now use voice commands to open my gates, turn on driveway lights, house lights. Turn on and set house heating receive notifications from Amazon etc,etc.
no

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Echo Dot fits perfectly in the MGEV cupholder to add Alexa app applications. I can now use voice commands to open my gates, turn on driveway lights, house lights. Turn on and set house heating receive notifications from Amazon etc,etc. View attachment 132319 no
I assume you need an active internet connection for this to work . Either a mobile hotspot or direct connection to your home router. I may experiment with google home as this would also work.
what is a shame about the car is it’s lack of direct voice control in Europe. It would be good if MG were to instigate the car voice control of sunroof, windows etc, after all the voice button is sitting there on the steering wheel but is only of use if car play or android auto is functioning

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but you can pick up a 2nd generation dot for about £18 as opposed to £50 for echo auto. I could not find anywhere to neatly fit the echo auto whereas the dot looks as if it was factory installed.

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
Yes, but you can pick up a 2nd generation dot for about £18 as opposed to £50 for echo auto. I could not find anywhere to neatly fit the echo auto whereas the dot looks as if it was factory installed.
Bear in mind that the Dot won't be certified for >40C that a car can get to inside.

I have an Auto in USA (got cheap as beta tester) and it works pretty well. It has a vent adaptor or you can use (removable) adhesive and fitted OK in Model S once I routed power properly. However, once Spotify was available on Tesla in USA I didn't use it much. Now supported here, I will probably bring back on next trip (who knows when?) and try in Zoe.

It just uses Bluetooth so you don't need to enable battery draining hotspot mode. Reviews by owners are mixed, but partly because many people didn't realise you had to select Bluetooth connection for it to work. I think some imagined it would interrupt their FM radio or whatever!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bear in mind that the Dot won't be certified for >40C that a car can get to inside.

I have an Auto in USA (got cheap as beta tester) and it works pretty well. It has a vent adaptor or you can use (removable) adhesive and fitted OK in Model S once I routed power properly. However, once Spotify was available on Tesla in USA I didn't use it much. Now supported here, I will probably bring back on next trip (who knows when?) and try in Zoe.

It just uses Bluetooth so you don't need to enable battery draining hotspot mode. Reviews by owners are mixed, but partly because many people didn't realise you had to select Bluetooth connection for it to work. I think some imagined it would interrupt their FM radio or whatever!
I would be very lucky to get 20 C inside the car here in Northern Ireland so no worries.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I have Alexa built into my Nextbase 522GW, which I think I have set up, but as I’ve never used one, I don’t know how to use it :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
I would be very lucky to get 20 C inside the car here in Northern Ireland so no worries.
Ha. I am sure it gets hot inside even there! Hopefully nobody in NI thinks that and leaves a dog in a car...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha. I am sure it gets hot inside even there! Hopefully nobody in NI thinks that and leaves a dog in a car...
To clarify, yes it can get hot in NI in the summer, however a sensible person would not leave an animal in a car if there was a likehood it would suffer.

If you take the time to read the posts carefully, the post was actually about the temperature certification of an echo dot, not animals.

However, for your information, a Tesla has a dog mode where the air conditioning stays on if a pet is in the car. The screen displays a message to alert anyone looking into the car that the ' dog mode' is activated.

So you can actually leave a dog in a car in summer.

I personally would not do this, but the option is available. I am sure Tesla only re commends this is done for a short period.

I suggest you take your argument up with Tesla.

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
To clarify, yes it can get hot in NI in the summer, however a sensible person would not leave an animal in a car if there was a likehood it would suffer.

If you take the time to read the posts carefully, the post was actually about the temperature certification of an echo dot, not animals.

However, for your information, a Tesla has a dog mode where the air conditioning stays on if a pet is in the car. The screen displays a message to alert anyone looking into the car that the ' dog mode' is activated.

So you can actually leave a dog in a car in summer.

I personally would not do this, but the option is available. I am sure Tesla only re commends this is done for a short period.

I suggest you take your argument up with Tesla.
Yeah, I have two Tesla so am aware of dog mode but agree best not to use as still a risk. What I can never comprehend is people leaving children in a car. I worry about leaving my dashcam in the Zoe!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,221 Posts
Great until your car has an event of some sort and shuts down. Come back to a dead dog an angry mob and a court case!

But then again, that would never happen in a Tesla.

·
Premium Member
11,319 Posts
Great until your car has an event of some sort and shuts down. Come back to a dead dog an angry mob and a court case!

But then again, that would never happen in a Tesla.
I agree, but people who use it claim they check regularly in app that temp is OK. To be fair, we have always been able to connect to our Teslas, even when they have been parked up in garage for months with one exception...

I decided to do a remote OTA update of our Model S in Florida and something went wrong. Had to get neighbor (sic) to find key and reboot! I avoid doing that now :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts