Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 year old chargemaster mode 3 home charger that stopped working a couple of years ago. Wondered if anyone has information on replacing the old circuit board with a more up to date epc module.
The charger has a type 2 socket.
Thanks,
Reg.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Depends on how much space there is inside the enclosure, and whether or not you can fit a DIN rail in there. If you can, and assuming that you want a compliant unit, with open PEN fault protection and DC tolerant earth leakage protection, then you could fit the following parts:

Viridian EPC 2.0, with 6ma DC residual current module for £159: EVSE Protocol Controller (EPC) 2.0 Basic

1 off 32 A DP contactor (for live conductor switching to the outlet) for £10.16: https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ika232-20_230v/contactors-installation-modular/iskra/30-046-833/

1 off 32 A SP contactor (for CPC isolation if there is an open PEN fault) for £9.61: https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ika232-10_230v/contactors-installation-modular/iskra/30-046-838/

In addition, the supply cable to the charge point must have suitable over current protection (normally either 32 A or 40 A) plus have Type A RCD protection.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
I have 6 year old chargemaster mode 3 home charger that stopped working a couple of years ago. Wondered if anyone has information on replacing the old circuit board with a more up to date epc module.
The charger has a type 2 socket.
Thanks,
Reg.
In addition to JH's advice, check out posts by HandyAndy who has successfully done exactly what you are proposing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on how much space there is inside the enclosure, and whether or not you can fit a DIN rail in there. If you can, and assuming that you want a compliant unit, with open PEN fault protection and DC tolerant earth leakage protection, then you could fit the following parts:

Viridian EPC 2.0, with 6ma DC residual current module for £159: EVSE Protocol Controller (EPC) 2.0 Basic

1 off 32 A DP contactor (for live conductor switching to the outlet) for £10.16: https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ika232-20_230v/contactors-installation-modular/iskra/30-046-833/

1 off 32 A SP contactor (for CPC isolation if there is an open PEN fault) for £9.61: https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ika232-10_230v/contactors-installation-modular/iskra/30-046-838/

In addition, the supply cable to the charge point must have suitable over current protection (normally either 32 A or 40 A) plus have Type A RCD protection.
Many thanks for your reply.
Just had a look at my consumer unit, the charger point is on a 20A fuse via an 80A 30ma RCD it was installed by Polar about six years ago. I think there is enough room in the unit for a din rail. Many thanks for the links.
Reg

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Many thanks for your reply.
Just had a look at my consumer unit, the charger point is on a 20A fuse via an 80A 30ma RCD it was installed by Polar about six years ago. I think there is enough room in the unit for a din rail. Many thanks for the links.
Reg

That sounds very much as if the charge point you have is only a 15/16 A one, not a 30/32 A one. The chances are that the RCD may well not be the Type A required now, but might be an older Type AC. If the symbol on the front is just a sine wave, then it's a Type AC, if it's a sine wave with a separate half sign wave underneath it's a Type A.

To uprate the charge point to run at 32 A would mean replacing both the supply cable, the protection for it and the socket on the charge point, so would make the job a lot more costly. I'd suggest that if that's the case then it may be worth looking at getting a new charge point installed, rather than spend so much on an existing unit.

If you are OK with only charging at 16 A, then you could just set the Viridian module to only charge at this current. The current can be set on these EPCs easily, using a resistor between the IC terminal and 0V.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds very much as if the charge point you have is only a 15/16 A one, not a 30/32 A one. The chances are that the RCD may well not be the Type A required now, but might be an older Type AC. If the symbol on the front is just a sine wave, then it's a Type AC, if it's a sine wave with a separate half sign wave underneath it's a Type A.

To uprate the charge point to run at 32 A would mean replacing both the supply cable, the protection for it and the socket on the charge point, so would make the job a lot more costly. I'd suggest that if that's the case then it may be worth looking at getting a new charge point installed, rather than spend so much on an existing unit.

If you are OK with only charging at 16 A, then you could just set the Viridian module to only charge at this current. The current can be set on these EPCs easily, using a resistor between the IC terminal and 0V.
The RCD is a type A. My Leaf has the ability to charge at 3.3 and 6.6Kw it would be good to charge 6.6Kw but it going to cost me whichever way I go. I’m using the granny charger at the moment.
Thanks for your advice,
Reg

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
The RCD is a type A. My Leaf has the ability to charge at 3.3 and 6.6Kw it would be good to charge 6.6Kw but it going to cost me whichever way I go. I’m using the granny charger at the moment.
Thanks for your advice,
Reg
Yes, replacing the CHARGEMASTER with a brand new EVSE or swapping out internals with EPC, Contactor and PEN, makes no difference to the supply cable issue. You either limit the output of each to 16A and keep existing cable or replace the cable and don't limit.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
In addition to JH's advice, check out posts by HandyAndy who has successfully done exactly what you are proposing.
Not quite the same, as I didn't have any PCB to strip out (and these usually include relays etc), but it achieved what you want. Simply follow the Viridian wiring diagram and reuse as amny suitable bits as exist already, probably just the case & cables!
Rolec Dumb Charger upgraded with DC Leakage Protection...
Or you can send it off to Martin at evbitz.uk who repairs broken EVSEs. If you do, make sure you ask for the Viridian version 2.0 EPC with all the bells & whistles, not the original Viridian EPC that pre-dates the new regs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts