Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to fit a dashcam - ThinkView F750 front and rear cameras - into my Passat GTE, with a permanent wired installation, so it's always on ( camera has settings not to drain car battery); Wondered if anyone else had attempted this or had a pro install? Happy to do it myself - did it on previous car Audi A6 with no problems. Fitting the cameras is the easy bit... routing the cable to the rear camera is typically "challenging", but most difficult is working out which fuse to piggy-back off for the permanent wired connection... any views/feedback appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
As long as you're not using the cigarette ligher power socket for much, I'd probably wire it into that, as it will be switched with the ignition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you're not using the cigarette ligher power socket for much, I'd probably wire it into that, as it will be switched with the ignition.
Hi there... no it needs to be a permanently on connnection... e.g. Handbrake. The Thinkwire series will continue to record for a few hours (user configs) after leaving and switching off the car... it monitors battery levels and if too low (also configurable) will switch camera off... but useful to have footage someone dinging your car when you've parked it...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have an SJCAM 4000 if I power it off either of the 2 USB ports in my car it does not charge whilst in use and the battery eventually goes flat dashcams seem to need a higher current :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an SJCAM 4000 if I power it off either of the 2 USB ports in my car it does not charge whilst in use and the battery eventually goes flat dashcams seem to need a higher current :(
Hi there Keith... sorry to hear that the SJCAM doesn't charge. To be clear though and sorry if I wasn't before... I am looking to hard-wire the Thinkware cameras _straight_ into the fusebox... this is the only way to ensure they always switch on _and_ can record when the engine is off - though as I said, they constantly monitor the car's battery and turn themselves completely off if it drops below a certain threshold.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yep understood I an just surprised mine behaves as it does and most of the hardwire kits seem to be rated at 1 amp output so I am wondering if that would be enough for my camera.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just checked USB output is typically only half an amp which would explain it I thought it was higher than that.

·
dDes
37 Posts
Hi there... no it needs to be a permanently on connnection... e.g. Handbrake. The Thinkwire series will continue to record for a few hours (user configs) after leaving and switching off the car... it monitors battery levels and if too low (also configurable) will switch camera off... but useful to have footage someone dinging your car when you've parked it...
Hi. i just fitted a blackvue myself into a new Golf GTE. Initially i had it plugged into the centre console lighter socket and it would come on when the ignition was turned on. However if you go to the dash fuse box, find the lighter socket fuse and move it one notch position, it makes it a constant positive supply. Now i have plugged the cam into the rear socket, leaving the front one free for usb port adapter for iPhone/android charging.
So far no issues and records in parking mode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Th
Hi. i just fitted a blackvue myself into a new Golf GTE. Initially i had it plugged into the centre console lighter socket and it would come on when the ignition was turned on. However if you go to the dash fuse box, find the lighter socket fuse and move it one notch position, it makes it a constant positive supply. Now i have plugged the cam into the rear socket, leaving the front one free for usb port adapter for iPhone/android charging.
So far no issues and records in parking mode.
Thanks for this info, when you say "move one notch" up or down?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts