Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am loving my Zoe .. and imagine this is my first car with parking sensors , owned cars for years and only just got a car with parking sensors! ... however why did the numpties just put rear UPA sensors on it and none on the front?

So peeps , how easy would it be do you reckon to drill some holes in the front bumper and fit some sonar sensors ? - do you reckon the wiring would all be there in situ behind the front bumper somewhere ? - did they even bring out any older Zoe's with front parking sensors does anyone know?

I have been into the UPA ECU in DDT and the settings are there for front sensors as well as rear sensors , but only the rears are enabled

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
693 Posts
I had front sensors fitted by the dealer when we bought our first ZOE ZE40 in 2017. A typical after market kit with a separate switch fitted with the other switches to the right of the driver's knee and a separate sounder in the dash. They colour matched the parking sensors. £295 inc fitting and VAT on the invoice, but actually part of the negotiated deal.

I don't think Renault offered front parking sensors for the ZE40 either factory fitted or as extras. The ZE50 has them.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,408 Posts
It's annoying as you can't see the end of the bonnet in the Zoe at all. Dealer fit are about £300. I was going to do it on mine but someone else suggested using the reflection of the DRLs or headlights to judge distance.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
275 Posts
I am loving my Zoe .. and imagine this is my first car with parking sensors , owned cars for years and only just got a car with parking sensors! ... however why did the numpties just put rear UPA sensors on it and none on the front?

So peeps , how easy would it be do you reckon to drill some holes in the front bumper and fit some sonar sensors ? - do you reckon the wiring would all be there in situ behind the front bumper somewhere ? - did they even bring out any older Zoe's with front parking sensors does anyone know?

I have been into the UPA ECU in DDT and the settings are there for front sensors as well as rear sensors , but only the rears are enabled
My Soul 64kwh only has rear sensors too. I was thinking of getting a parking camera for the front. Something like this: AUTO-VOX M1 Car Reversing Camera Kit Rearview Backup: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spare a thought for those with the top of the range, fully loaded Leaf Tekna's. No sensors at all. Man I miss my Zoe's sensors ..... even if they were just on the back.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,288 Posts
I’m loving the front parking sensors on my ZE50. It means I can get into parking spaces that others have to drive past! They’re very noisy though, especially for my neighbours when I leave for work early in the morning. Any way of turning them down? I’ve got so reliant on them that if I turn the sound off completely, I’m so busy checking the mirror to avoid scuffing the alloys, I forget about the vehicles in front and behind o_O

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's annoying as you can't see the end of the bonnet in the Zoe at all. Dealer fit are about £300. I was going to do it on mine but someone else suggested using the reflection of the DRLs or headlights to judge distance.
Yep, very hard - I cannot see the end of the bonnet on the Zoe either. Good tip about using the lights.

I’m loving the front parking sensors on my ZE50. It means I can get into parking spaces that others have to drive past! They’re very noisy though, especially for my neighbours when I leave for work early in the morning. Any way of turning them down? I’ve got so reliant on them that if I turn the sound off completely, I’m so busy checking the mirror to avoid scuffing the alloys, I forget about the vehicles in front and behind o_O
on the Ze22 r-link radio you can adjust the volume of the rears when your on the reverse camera screen itself ... Im not sure how you would do it on the ZE50 myself

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is a fair few settings in the UPA part of DDT4all , can even turn off the 'roger bleep' - thats the beep that goes 'bloop!' every time you put reverse gear on a ZE22 (maybe ZE40 too) and change other configurations

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,277 Posts
Spare a thought for those with the top of the range, fully loaded Leaf Tekna's. No sensors at all. Man I miss my Zoe's sensors ..... even if they were just on the back.
But you have a 360 Camera you can use to look all around the car which I would argue is far more useful as you can see exactly how far you are from something rather than guessing from the beeps. The camera also shows you white lines too. Sensors can't detect them.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
693 Posts
Menu>Settings>Vehicle tab>Parking Assist>Sound

Edit: Corrected by adding 'settings' level.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
You generally should be looking out the front screen when driving into a space, so the need for front parking sensors is not necessary. Reverse ones are main for those less mobile and struggle to turn in their seat to look out the rear screen.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
275 Posts
You generally should be looking out the front screen when driving into a space, so the need for front parking sensors is not necessary. Reverse ones are main for those less mobile and struggle to turn in their seat to look out the rear screen.
The view from the front & rear screens is great for distant & mid-distant objects, however there is zero visibility of near field objects.
Parking sensors & low level cameras provide that information.
PS the rear view mirror avoids the need to turn around to see out of the rear screen

·
Registered
55 Posts
But you have a 360 Camera you can use to look all around the car which I would argue is far more useful as you can see exactly how far you are from something rather than guessing from the beeps. The camera also shows you white lines too. Sensors can't detect them.
I would agree, except it's very very hard to see the corners, imposible to use in rain, and borderline useless when dark. Dry, daytime it's fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts