Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I pick up my MG ZS EV in March and I already have a Rolec untethered system for my outlander PHEV.
For my new car I would like to switch to a cheap night rate but to do that I will need a timer fitting to the Rolec.
I know you can buy a timer from Rolec or a similar digital one online but does anyone know how to fit it? I assume there is a command wire that can be diverted to the timer?
Can anyone advise
Thx

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Just wire the timer in series with the CP line on the charge cable
Hi @mikeselectricstuff .
Would you mind expanding and simplifying on how this timer is wired into the older type Rolec dumb wall box.
I have been trying to find an image of a Rolec wall box, fitted with a timer and with the front cover removed, in order to replicate this on my own unit.
But I have had no luck finding one.
I have been waiting a week now for an estimate from an EV installer to fit one.
If I ordered the timer from “OnestopEV’s online, it would here the next day at only £30.00.
If I then had a wiring diagram, I could install it myself in about 30 mins !.

·
Registered
286 Posts
only 16 rated ? to honest you would want 20amp for 3.3kw charger and a 40amp for 6.6 charger.
The higher rating is due to the fact its will be running for long periods

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Do you have a link to this, cant find it. Looking for something for my dumb charger, car does have scheduled charging, but a couple of people have reported issues with it not working correctly.
Here you go !.
Another owner has fitted this unit to his ZS EV and it works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only 16 rated ? to bonest you would want 20amp for 3.3kw charger and a 40amp for 6.6 charger.
The higher rating is due to the fact its will be running for long periods
You are only switching a 12 volt command line, no load on timer it just switches command line off so charger thinks it’s unplugged.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Better still to wire it to the 240V supply to the controller. The timer itself needs a 240V supply, The controller only takes a few Watts so a 16A DIN timer is more than enough. The controller does have a background current draw so turning it right off when not being used is also environmentally friendly.

I fitted a 16Amp digital Newlec timer to my dumb Rolec this way and it works fine. I posted more details in the MG forum a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am about to retrofit a DIN rail timer inside my 32A Rolec. I am going to interrupt the live supply to the controller so it will not have to deal with much current and will also reduce the standby power use a little. Timers that can handle more than 16A are hard to find and expensive. I also have a 16A charger and fitted a fairly cheap 16A immersion heater timer to the main power supply to that. The charger does not have to be powered up for the car to know that it is plugged in so driving away with the cable attached is not a problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good way to give WiFi on\off control of a rolec is to use a £6 sonoff WiFi switch. --search eBay . Wire this into the rolec to switch the power to the controller (not the thicker wires with power to or from the actuator).
So long as rolec is within reach of your home WiFi you can then control the charging from a free app on your smartphone. You can switch it on\off , set on\off time schedules, etc from anywhere with your phone.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Good way to give WiFi on\off control of a rolec is to use a £6 sonoff WiFi switch. --search eBay . Wire this into the rolec to switch the power to the controller (not the thicker wires with power to or from the actuator).
So long as rolec is within reach of your home WiFi you can then control the charging from a free app on your smartphone. You can switch it on\off , set on\off time schedules, etc from anywhere with your phone.
That is very interesting !,
It would be fantastic if somebody could supply a picture / connection plan for this type of unit !.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The sonoff units run on 230v and switch a load of up to 10amp . There are various formats but I just used a basic one that you wire in. Some plug into a 3 pin plug. Search eBay and Google for Sonoff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is my rolec before adding the sonoff switch
IMG_20200121_121919~3.jpg
. The controller has the live and neutral feeds circled. Take these out and to the sonoff switch inputs and the outputs from the sonoff switch back to where they did go into the controller.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks baden, that sounds very simple to set up, no electrician needed if happy for simple wiring adjustment. What size cable did you use from sonoff back to controller. How old is your rolec.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts