Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't used my charger for a while, no surprise, so just looked out to see it pulsing 5 red flashes. Checked the EO Mini Pro manual to see it says 'The mains supply has dropped below 170V'. The solution is to 'Remove the charging cable and verify the LED returns to normal operation'.

Problem is, the cable isn't plugged in to the car. Looks like I'll have to reset the charging unit at the RCD, but I was wondering if anybody here can explain what might be happening, please?

What might make my supply drop below 170V? And should the unit even know this if it's not plugged into the car and no charge is being drawn?

I've sent a message to EO, but obviously don't expect a reply any time soon. This is the most recent of many issues we've had with the unit, though.

All advice welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
This slightly depends on the earth arrangements for your charge point. Does it have an earth spike or is it PME with a device like a MattE?
Most likely to be a false alarm based on a fault with the unit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have an earth spike. Like you say, probably a fault with the unit. This is the second Mini Pro, the first one packed up after 4 weeks. Looks like this might do the same!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Have you suffered a brown out recently? In the "old days" these used to be more noticeable with the lights dimming etc, but with modern lighting they have to be longer. The latest charge points will pick up anything 5ms or greater when unloaded, so try the standard "turn it off and on again" IT advice that cures 90% of issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Will go for resetting. Not noticed any event that might be a problem, but doesn't mean there wasn't one. Have had plenty of odd LED colours flashing on the charging unit, though. Like Christmas!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts