Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To celebrate the easing of travel restrictions in Scotland, i drove up to Bridge of Orchy (from Edinburgh) to hike a couple of hills (Munro's) with a friend. It's 95 miles, and i thought it'd be a nice way to see how my Japan built 2012 worked with the 40kWh battery that i had fitted. It was a totally superb day and hike - sunny all day, with some spectacular views. Best of all there was a slow charger at the start of the hike - so the car was full when i returned from a 7 hour hike.

Amazingly, on the drive home i got a 'full set' of trees - and i have never appreciated that it was possible to get 4 (or 5?) trees. An enjoyable end to a near perfect day (perfect would have included open pub beer garden for a beer, and someone else doing the driving...)

I'd extrapolate that my range could be 120 miles or more, especially when it's warmer and i'm not driving up and down hills. Chuffed. Very.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,868 Posts
95+53=148 so a real bonus.

Just a pity that 5 is the limit for the trees despite the larger battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
95+53=148 so a real bonus.

Just a pity that 5 is the limit for the trees despite the larger battery.
I was averaging about 4miles per kWh (about 12 miles per bar on the dash). I should've Leafspy'd to see exactly how many kWhs were left, but forgot. In the hills it was a steady 50-60mph for about 50 miles, followed by 45 of motorway (at around 60-65mph). I was looking for a truck to slipstream, but there were none. Sigh. If the temperature gets up to mid-teens, i might even get further :)

Reasons for additional smugness (as if any were needed...); 40kWh battery, 4 miles/kWh, a great day hiking, charger at start of hike. Oh, and i put on some 'virtue signalling' green bar number plates. Probably good to warn people about the excessive smugness associated with the driver of this Leaf. Rah !

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,459 Posts
I was averaging about 4miles per kWh (about 12 miles per bar on the dash). I should've Leafspy'd to see exactly how many kWhs were left, but forgot. In the hills it was a steady 50-60mph for about 50 miles, followed by 45 of motorway (at around 60-65mph). I was looking for a truck to slipstream, but there were none. Sigh. If the temperature gets up to mid-teens, i might even get further :)

Reasons for additional smugness (as if any were needed...); 40kWh battery, 4 miles/kWh, a great day hiking, charger at start of hike. Oh, and i put on some 'virtue signalling' green bar number plates. Probably good to warn people about the excessive smugness associated with the driver of this Leaf. Rah !
Yeah, you can shove you smugness until I set off to Oban at the end of May. Its a mere 250miles so one stop will be needed on the M8 around Eurocentral.
I will out smug you if I achieve 4m/kw, but i don't expect to better high 3s!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, you can shove you smugness until I set off to Oban at the end of May. Its a mere 250miles so one stop will be needed on the M8 around Eurocentral.
I will out smug you if I achieve 4m/kw, but i don't expect to better high 3s!
There's two rapids there - the Eurocentral one (which i think charges) and the Newhouse car park one which is free (and sometimes in use).

I was doing the run as we're off to Mull, via Oban, in early July. It'll be one rapid at Crianlarich or Tyndrum for me (FYI there's also a rapid at Callander). I stopped to check that the Callander and Tyndrum ones were working.

Going 'up' was waaaay less than 4 miles/kWh - as it was -2C and more uphill. Coming home it was warmer and downhill, perhaps a little tailwind (?).

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,459 Posts
There's two rapids there - the Eurocentral one (which i think charges) and the Newhouse car park one which is free (and sometimes in use).

I was doing the run as we're off to Mull, via Oban, in early July. It'll be one rapid at Crianlarich or Tyndrum for me (FYI there's also a rapid at Callander). I stopped to check that the Callander and Tyndrum ones were working.

Going 'up' was waaaay less than 4 miles/kWh - as it was -2C and more uphill. Coming home it was warmer and downhill, perhaps a little tailwind (?).
Thanks. There's a rapid at the ferry terminal I believe. I was thinking of a trip to Mull, but probably not until my second visit in June and before the schools finish.
I usually go via th Erksine Bridge as my boat is at Arfern, so halfway between Lochgilphead and Oban. (Rapids at Inverary and LGP as well)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Slow chargers at a trailhead is great. Even 3.6kW would be useful if you’re in the hills all day.

Where was this?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slow chargers at a trailhead is great. Even 3.6kW would be useful if you’re in the hills all day.

Where was this?
Bridge of Orchy - and it was a 'fast charger' (3.6kW i think) Type 2 - which i incorrectly refer to as 'slow' as IMO they are... It's on plugshare and zapmap etc.

This particular charger is on Station road going towards the train stop, outside the community hall. I don't think it's visible on streetview. Given the algae growing on it, i'm not sure it gets very much use. Plus, it took a couple of tries to get it started/charging, though that could be my car rather that the charger. It's not in the car park where it gets busy and would likely be ICEd. This is a bonus, plus hikers walk past it and get to see a possible future of transport.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
So I have always thought the trees was an indication of regen, which if you can avoid it by driving a little more hypermiley is better for the energy efficiency. i.e. better to brake less and have a lighter lead foot. Nevertheless its cool to see a UI used to its max. Dala has a mod with his cars to allow better coasting and did a video on it.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,459 Posts
So I have always thought the trees was an indication of regen, which if you can avoid it by driving a little more hypermiley is better for the energy efficiency. i.e. better to brake less and have a lighter lead foot. Nevertheless its cool to see a UI used to its max. Dala has a mod with his cars to allow better coasting and did a video on it.
My Leaf can be put into N for amazing coasting. I didn't expect it was possible. You need to apply some throttle when going back into drive to avoid deceleration (I use E-pedal).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've no idea of what the criteria are for trees appearing are - but get the impression that light-footed driving is important. From discussion on the board, it seems that coasting is more efficient for range than regen - so that's how i now try to drive.
What surprised me was that four trees were there/possible. Previously, i'd never seen more than two (despite driving very carefully). This journey was 95miles without stopping, which for a normal 24kWh leaf would be 'unlikely' ! (and for a 9 year old one it'd be miraculous, if it had the original battery...).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,868 Posts
As a comparison on a 85 mile journey yesterday my LEAF30 "grew" four trees with minimal regen being used.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
To celebrate the easing of travel restrictions in Scotland, i drove up to Bridge of Orchy (from Edinburgh) to hike a couple of hills (Munro's) with a friend. It's 95 miles, and i thought it'd be a nice way to see how my Japan built 2012 worked with the 40kWh battery that i had fitted. It was a totally superb day and hike - sunny all day, with some spectacular views. Best of all there was a slow charger at the start of the hike - so the car was full when i returned from a 7 hour hike.

Amazingly, on the drive home i got a 'full set' of trees - and i have never appreciated that it was possible to get 4 (or 5?) trees. An enjoyable end to a near perfect day (perfect would have included open pub beer garden for a beer, and someone else doing the driving...)

I'd extrapolate that my range could be 120 miles or more, especially when it's warmer and i'm not driving up and down hills. Chuffed. Very.

View attachment 143630 View attachment 143631
Very jealous, my 24 wouldn't do the 53 miles you had left, never mind the 95 you did before hand!

How much did the swap cost and who did it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very jealous, my 24 wouldn't do the 53 miles you had left, never mind the 95 you did before hand!

How much did the swap cost and who did it?
I wanted to DIY, but was both lazy and couldn't source the 40kWh battery. So, i went with CleevelyEV. It cost £8500, and i sold my old battery on eBay, and netted £1500 (after fees) - so net cost was £7000 to take my low mileage 2012 to a rather wonderful place. Anticipating many smug miles around Scotland over the next few years...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,459 Posts
I wanted to DIY, but was both lazy and couldn't source the 40kWh battery. So, i went with CleevelyEV. It cost £8500, and i sold my old battery on eBay, and netted £1500 (after fees) - so net cost was £7000 to take my low mileage 2012 to a rather wonderful place. Anticipating many smug miles around Scotland over the next few years...
£7k is less than it would cost to buy a replacement EV so it is a good move.
Enjoy,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
£7k is less than it would cost to buy a replacement EV so it is a good move.
Enjoy,
There's been a fair bit of debate about the economics of spending that much on a 9 year old car - some are of the opinion that a younger 30kWh with warranty would be better. There's some merit to that argument, especially if you're after a younger car and want the security of a warranty. For me, max distance between charges was what i was after - especially for security on longer drives (eg when out in the hills, and discover that a rapid is out of service - a bigger problem for a smaller battery...). Plus my old car has really low mileage (but rising rapidly now i've a bigger battery !).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts