Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very annoying when the radio start turns on at mid volume each time you turn on the car. Here is a suggestion as to how to overcome this feature.

1. Create a mp3 file contain about 1 minute of silence on a usb stick in the root directory called 'Silence'.
2. Plug the usb into the car and select the file called 'Silence'
3. Before you switch off the car select this file.

The next time when you start up the car you have up to 1 minute to either turn the volume to 0 or select the radio or another usb music file.

Now for the fun stuff.

I recorded an mp3 file of a Porche Cayman S981 starting up (found on youtube). Using the same technique as above when you start the car you get the sound of an engine starting and roaring to life. My wife, who was just getting used to the car driving off with no engine noise, got a shock when the car made engine sounds. I got the idea from someone on youtube doing a similar thing to a Tesla.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Has anyone managed to change the VESS sound, which is in the infotainment system settings as pedestrian warning mode?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Its fairly easy to drop the start up volume.

1. Pick your chosen graphic equaliser setup, then check the peaks etc, then make a custom one where the lowest on your previously chosen is zero and work from there. That drops the sound by half.
2. Turn on virtual subwoofer, which will actually make it a smidge louder but more beefy, so deeper.
3. Turn on the Auto speed volume, turning it on reduces it when stationary.

You'll find now that standard volume 7 on startup is more like volume 3, which is perfect.

No bong volume reduction yet.

As for VESS sound, its probably hard coded into the noise unit much like it is in the Zoe, you can turn it on/off in the infotainment but not change it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wait til you stream bluetooth then disconnect & it flips to radio, RIP ears and speakers! Thankfully I've only done it with me in the car, but it needs to be sorted.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Crank the bluetooth volume right up on the device, should get away with a lower volume on the headset. As a default the bluetooth volume on most phones is at about 60% of max.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aye, I have. Despite this, audio levels can be all over the place from podcast to podcast, episode to episode, especially live ones - even with the app boosting the volume.

Thing is, initially the radio is at an acceptable level. The source then switches to BT & volume is manually raised.

Literally all they need to do is revert to the last known volume of the prior source, if current source is lost/disconnected.

I'm not usually the one to go straight for the 'think of the children' pearl clutching, as I have none. However I can't imagine it'd be so great if there was a baby in the passenger seat or even dogs in the back. This is a family sized car after all.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always try to switch it to how I want it next. This mostly works but I'd prefer it just to default to off when I startup. I switch between radio, USB mp3 and Bluetooth. Sometimes it decides to hop to AM which is just an awful buzz because I've not tuned anything.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I always try to switch it to how I want it next. This mostly works but I'd prefer it just to default to off when I startup. I switch between radio, USB mp3 and Bluetooth. Sometimes it decides to hop to AM which is just an awful buzz because I've not tuned anything.
aye, I tuned in a single AM station and saved it as favourite 1 just so that accidentally switching to AM doesn't blast out noise and hash.

I noticed on TeslaBjorn's video that the Thai version doesn't appear to have DAB at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is a nuisance when the radio always comes on. My technique if I need the infotainment system is to hit the mute button imediately on the steering wheel until I have selected what I want. Or press and hold the main select button until the system goes into standby. Next time you start the car it will be in standby and no rude radio noises, why bother fiddling with equalises etc

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
If you fiddle with the equalizers you can setup a custom profile, which saves, and you can 1 have a sound profile you like, and 2. reduce the output of the volume considerably. Also turn on the setting for auto volume which reduces the volume more. Although the sound level stays at 7 the output is more like 3 so perfect for startup sound level. Also turn on the virtual sub as this beefs up the sound a bit but doesn't increase the volume much. (y)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just switch the radio off when I leave the car
Yes that's all I do switch the radio off before switching the car off.To be honest it's just laziness of people not doing that there is a clue there to all,it's called an on/off button.Why go to all this bother and stress by going into the settings and tearing your hair out over some thing so simple.DOH.👍

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Yes that's all I do switch the radio off before switching the car off.To be honest it's just laziness of people not doing that there is a clue there to all,it's called an on/off button.Why go to all this bother and stress by going into the settings and tearing your hair out over some thing so simple.DOH.👍
Its literally 5 mins of work and my volume is perfect... no faffing about remembering to turn off the stereo before I turn off the car, and then turning it back on every time I start the car. ;) Bad enough when you forget to close the sunroof and the car bongs at you as you get out and you think "what have I missed?"

·
Registered
863 Posts
Aye, I have. Despite this, audio levels can be all over the place from podcast to podcast, episode to episode, especially live ones - even with the app boosting the volume.

Thing is, initially the radio is at an acceptable level. The source then switches to BT & volume is manually raised.

Literally all they need to do is revert to the last known volume of the prior source, if current source is lost/disconnected.
Is your suggestion " revert to the last known volume of the prior source" meaning that you want the output sound level per channel in watts, of the current source, to be the same as the output level in watts of the prior source channels?

It's a nice idea but could you suggest how it would be achieved? Almost every day on any particular broadcast radio or TV station I notice that the sound levels from different reports by news reporters changes quite a bit, let alone the apparent sound level increase for the advertising slots...So if they can't get it to be consistent why do you think the MG head unit could?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Is your suggestion " revert to the last known volume of the prior source" meaning that you want the output sound level per channel in watts, of the current source, to be the same as the output level in watts of the prior source channels?

It's a nice idea but could you suggest how it would be achieved? Almost every day on any particular broadcast radio or TV station I notice that the sound levels from different reports by news reporters changes quite a bit, let alone the apparent sound level increase for the advertising slots...So if they can't get it to be consistent why do you think the MG head unit could?
Just another corner cut and misgiving of MG for not inventing a Magic headunit that does everything that everyone could ever want... I mean all other EV manufactures make head units that are absolutely perfect, from the Zoe headunit which has optional AA depending on when you bought it but all cars have it (but disabled if you didn't buy the car after a certain date) to the Leaf with its automagically out of date nav maps that can't be upgraded. But they are so perfect... I mean only Tesla can improve on the head unit with their automagically failing touchscreen in their MCU.

No one makes the perfect headunit that suits everyone for every feature. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts