Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I picked up my brand new 2021 M3 LR in December. I was slightly anxious having read some of the stories on here and elsewhere, but panel gaps, bonnet/boot alignment were all good and I was pleasantly surprised.

I have since had a problem with the HVAC – which would blow only cold air – but the SC has just replaced some sensors at the same time as fixing some minor scratches in the paintwork.

All good, or so I thought.

Having returned home from the SC I went to plug it in and noticed that the paint on the nearside sill has fallen off! I didn’t notice it when I picked it up so it must have happened on the way home.

Anyone else seen or experienced a similar problem and did it get resolved satisfactorily?? I still love the car (for now at least) and thought that I had managed to avoid one of the badly built vehicles but it seems that I haven’t…

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seen a few reports of similar in other places (Facebook). It would seem that if you've got one of the well built ones you mustn't be a Tesla owner.

I had my broken camera fixed this week, first drive today and the camera is fixed, but there's now a rattle in the area around the camera (inside under the dash above my right knee somewhere). I still haven't washed mine yet (don't fancy hypothermia) but I'm dreading what I'll find when I do the first detail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seen a few reports of similar in other places (Facebook). It would seem that if you've got one of the well built ones you mustn't be a Tesla owner.

I had my broken camera fixed this week, first drive today and the camera is fixed, but there's now a rattle in the area around the camera (inside under the dash above my right knee somewhere). I still haven't washed mine yet (don't fancy hypothermia) but I'm dreading what I'll find when I do the first detail.
I've seen a few of your posts and you've really been through the wringer with yours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen a few of your posts and you've really been through the wringer with yours.
The funny thing is, the more I read the luckier I think I've been (so far). My steering wheel isn't on straight either but I'm waiting for the next thing to go wrong before I get that fixed. It's not so bad that it's a problem for the amount of driving I'm doing at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The funny thing is, the more I read the luckier I think I've been (so far). My steering wheel isn't on straight either but I'm waiting for the next thing to go wrong before I get that fixed. It's not so bad that it's a problem for the amount of driving I'm doing at the moment.
A wonky steering wheel too. I couldn't cope with that.

Fortunately I've been able to get a few miles under my belt with work so these problems are revealing themselves now. The HVAC problem only happened after a couple of hours in the car so if it was summer or I was only doing short journeys I wouldn't have known about it. Last thing I expected was the paint to fall off though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A wonky steering wheel too. I couldn't cope with that.

Fortunately I've been able to get a few miles under my belt with work so these problems are revealing themselves now. The HVAC problem only happened after a couple of hours in the car so if it was summer or I was only doing short journeys I wouldn't have known about it. Last thing I expected was the paint to fall off though.
The wheel is ever so slightly off centre to the left, which actually makes it a tiny bit more comfortable for the ay I hold the wheel in my right hand. Hence not having it fixed yet. lol. I'm going to call it a design feature!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got mine back after waiting nearly 4 weeks for a new supermanifold and a/c compressor to fix the hvac problem. I also got both headlights replaced due to water ingress. On the way home from the SC my driver's side repeater camera packed up so a mobile tech is coming to replace that on Tuesday. Apart from that it's been a great car :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got mine back after waiting nearly 4 weeks for a new supermanifold and a/c compressor to fix the hvac problem. I also got both headlights replaced due to water ingress. On the way home from the SC my driver's side repeater camera packed up so a mobile tech is coming to replace that on Tuesday. Apart from that it's been a great car :)
It’s a shame they aren’t more reliable to begin with but hopefully the fixes will last...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
They’re all badly built 😂

Reactions: pilotwoo

·
Registered
97 Posts
They’re all badly built 😂
I’ve had my M3 LR since July 2019. Since then, only needed to go to SC once for a couple of hours and problem resolved. Having worked in the motor industry for 10 years, I can honestly say you have these problems with most manufacturers. Personally the worst ‘Friday car’ I had was a Peugeot. That spent a significant amount of time getting repaired for one fault after another.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I had my Model 3 for 6 months and it had more failures in that period than any of the 9 cars I’ve ever owned, including used old bangers...

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I tried but the gated community wouldn’t let me in ;)

Reactions: cyclingaviator

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
98 Posts
How many times have you had a ranger out or been back to the SC?
Once - wing mirror had a small dust blob under the clear coat when delivered - 5 min replacement by a Ranger.

I used a full checklist when the car was delivered & that's all I found, nothing since.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Once - wing mirror had a small dust blob under the clear coat when delivered - 5 min replacement by a Ranger.

I used a full checklist when the car was delivered & that's all I found, nothing since.
Did you tell them about the checklist you were planning to use beforehand?

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
98 Posts
Did you tell them about the checklist you were planning to use beforehand?
No, of course not - I ordered in February last year for May & we were supposed to be with family in the USA March-April but had to return end March when the Gov't called all UK Nationals back. Our car had been sold before we went away.

On arrival home we had an envelope re-registering my wife as an NHS Key worker (retired) so I called Tesla to explain & they jumped through hoops, getting us the car in 3 days. It had come on a low loader from West Drayton & knowing Tesla well, I expected problems but it was immaculate - cleaned & prepped inside & out which was a pleasant surprise. I used a 3 page checklist that I found on another forum & spent about 2 hours checking everything out including the complete undertray.

Being familiar with what normally happens to Tesla paint I also immediately applied 100mm clear PPF along both sills & a set of aftermarket mud flaps. I've had a couple of small chips on the nose & bonnet since, both easily rectified with PPSW touch up. The PPF has flecks of tarmac & a few other marks so I will remove when it comes time to sell (maybe it will peel all the soft paint off!)

I'm certainly not a fanboy, refusing to allow the family to purchase me a TE57Axx plate because I may not stay with the brand longer term. So far so good though, I'm very happy as are the two others I mentioned previously.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We collected our car in August 2019 (an M3P) and other than two very minor blemishes in or under the clear coat, easily rectified when we had it professionally detailed, the car has been flawless. I am not suggesting that QC at Telsa is without need of improvement, but not everyone has been suffering with poor quality cars from delivery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 Performance came with some sort of PPF on the rockers. No other chips. Wheel straight. No complaints.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts