Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

441 - 447 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
At the start of my last AC charge (12:35) the Kona decided to charge the aux battery for a full hour, twice as long as the normal 30 minutes I've seen all other times I've checked it. Something must have kicked that off..., perhaps cold temps as we approach winter or a poor result from a test it carried out behind my back. I think the reason for the lower voltage immediately afterwards is that while AC charging continues (through 16:30) the system voltage is forced to around 13.1 V by the LDC. The earlier 20 minute battery saver event when finished just shuts down the system so the battery voltage is measured essentially unloaded.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Oh yes, almost forgot to mention it. 12V battery went flat again the other morning after being fine the day before. So much for the denials and blame on dashcams. Let's hope the updated ECU software sorts this mess out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Oh yes, almost forgot to mention it. 12V battery went flat again the other morning after being fine the day before. So much for the denials and blame on dashcams. Let's hope the updated ECU software sorts this mess out :rolleyes:
when I took mine in for the BMS update, they tested the12v battery first saying they could not apply the software update as the 12v battery was in poor condition. After initially saying it was going to cost £140 for anew battery (£100for battery and £40 to fit) it was confirmed the battery is covered for 2 years unlimited mileage. So I would just get them to put a new battery on under warranty rather than risking the bms update will cure it

·
Registered
291 Posts
It does seem the 12V battery can be damaged by a severe discharge and that the chances of further problems are increased by not subsequently fully charging it off-line. The Kona's systems as they stand can barely keep a healthy battery alive, much less revive one that has been severely discharged.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I noticed the other day that the battery saver was going again. I had the high voltage battery software update done and the BS+ option is gone out of the menu. However, it still charges the battery since I've seen the light ...

I don't know and don't really have the tools to closely monitor the battery, if they changed the behavior.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Snag yourself a BM2, you'll love it. Check the install photos over at insideevs, no need to loosen the clamps. Just use (2) M6 low-profile nyloc nuts and a lump of Bluetack. Squeeze the spade lugs into a circle to make them stay on.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
when I took mine in for the BMS update, they tested the12v battery first saying they could not apply the software update as the 12v battery was in poor condition. After initially saying it was going to cost £140 for anew battery (£100for battery and £40 to fit) it was confirmed the battery is covered for 2 years unlimited mileage. So I would just get them to put a new battery on under warranty rather than risking the bms update will cure it
Thanks, useful to know. When they looked at the 12V battery a few months back, they did a load test on it and said all the cells were fine and it charged up fine again overnight, so I suspect it's ok. I will talk to them about it though, thanks (y)

441 - 447 of 447 Posts