Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and back again.

Any reason not to do this? I assume as you can, that the car is smart enough to break anything by going back and forth like this, however am I wrong and possibly causing extra strain to the workings of the motor and such by being lazy in this way?

Don't want to make anything go "pop" too soon if I can avoid it!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
You have to presume that the motor control unit would cut the power if the resistance gets too high, to stop it from burning the motor out. So at low speed I can't see this being a problem. Try it at 40mph, and I can see it getting messy ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
The general use case for this would be to allow "rocking" out of snow, mud, etc.

My automatic golf supports this, as I assume most automatics do. I've only done it at very low speeds - I'm not going to try it at 40 and see what happens! I would hope there is some kind of "idiot proof" device that won't let me select reverse while moving forwards at any kind of significant speed.

I expect there would be some provision for "rocking" and EV too?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
If it's like the Prius it will go into neutral if you try to switch or go into P at anything over 5mph.

I don't think you'll break anything, but I would say you have less control of te vehicle than if you came to a stop an then changed "gears", so therefore it's bad practice

·
Registered
158 Posts
Putting the Leaf in reverse when you are driving with reasonable speed puts the car in neutral, this is a protection I guess. This has been discussed on another forum(?) where some have tried it (I did) and others are too scared to try :eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
I only use this method when the damned pigeons move too quickly!

;) :D
As hard as I try, the iphone keyboard just doesn't seem to suit my fingers...!

Oh well, you got the gist of it :p

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Putting the Leaf in reverse when you are driving with reasonable speed puts the car in neutral, this is a protection I guess. This has been discussed on another forum(?) where some have tried it (I did) and others are too scared to try :eek:
What sort of speed are we talking about? I used to regularly switch between five and six speed cars, I would sometimes (nearly) put the five speed in reverse at high speed... not a nice sensation at all.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Over on gm-volt there are reports that at least one person has tried switching a Volt into R while moving forward at moderate speeds. Apparently all that happens is that (up to 37mph) if you press the accelerator you just get more regen than usual, the car will come to a halt and then accelerate backward. Above 37mph they report it coasts until the speed drops below 37mph.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?84466-Shifting-into-Reverse-at-High-Speed

Reactions: Lee Dalton
1 - 9 of 9 Posts