Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just noticed that our Zoe has developed a leak of some kind of fluid. It is definitely not the air con as it is leaving stains on our drive and seems to be oil. I have a piece of cardboard under the car and the leak appears to be coming from somewhere level with the front of the front passenger door (rhd) about 30cm in.
Any thoughts as to what it might be? The Zoe was acquired new August 2015 and had its 3rd service in August 2018 when it also had the parking brake recall sorted. Current mileage about 9,400. Of interest but unconnected with the leak is that over the last few charges to 100% the estimated range has gradually increased from showing around 80 miles to 100 miles.

PS Took to dealer and it was diagnosed as a little weep from drive shaft oil seal. Fixed (hopefully) under warranty.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
616 Posts
My previous Zoe was left on my drive for a long hot weekend and when I got back their was a large pool of oil under the front of the car. The gearbox had emptied its contents onto my drive !

If you're keen (I was) you can remove the engine tray to see if it is the gearbox.
There is a large oil absorption pad attached next to a hole in the engine tray, if you can squeeze oil out of this it may well be the main oil seal between the motor and gearbox.

It's (@Kotek Besar proper use of apostrophe) not a common problem, I have been on this forum for 3 years and there’s (and again) been no mention of it.

I think it’s (and again) a hypoid oil, so it does have a smell. Could be from drive shafts from the position of the leak, best to have a look.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I never knew it had an Oil gearbox as it's only got the 1 gear - learn something new everyday

Reactions: yoh-there
1 - 6 of 6 Posts