Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever the temperature is warmish the mirrors on my Leaf creak when folding, most noticably the one that's been closest to the sun. They've been fine for the last week what with the cold weather but today was sunny and they're at it again.

Anybody else have this problem?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Same here. I notice it on the drivers side as hats where I am when they go in. But it is weather dependant.

·
9,719 Posts
Bit of silicon grease on the moving parts usually fixes this, its common for most folding mirrors to develop some funky noises at some point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Update to this: my car went for a major service today. I mentioned the problem. Apparently it needs two new wing mirrors to fix it; seems excessive to me and that won't be a cheap repair given that it's a Tekna.

This will be carried out under warranty for me. If it wasn't for that, I would live with it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Funny as I sprayed a silly amount of this on my drivers side mirror tonight from all angles still and during movement and it didn't help 1 bit.

May take it in if it continues as it's getting louder.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
Funny as I sprayed a silly amount of this on my drivers side mirror tonight from all angles still and during movement and it didn't help 1 bit.

May take it in if it continues as it's getting louder.
Normally the painted cover is only held on with clips so can be fairly easily removed (and cheaply bought if broken :whistle:) - might be worth seeing if you can get in and whether there's a way that a fixing could be slightly loosened to give a little more space, or maybe add in some lubricant of some sort from the inside?

At your own risk........ for reference, the replacment cover for my Mazda (painted with Mica paint no less) was £35 incl. VAT :oops:

Reactions: Keiran

·
Registered
960 Posts
thanks for sharing! I put down the folding mirrors as shoddy build quality, I'll mention it in the next service see if they can be done under warranty, I was pretty shocked that a 8 month old car has creaking folding mirrors, also £35+ VAT for a mirror cover is very cheap! we are used to seeing prices of £70+ VAT, some cases £150 + VAT if you have special 'sport styling' covers, sometimes they also need painting on top of that too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was going to post a new thread on this, but it came up as I typed the title .

I have this issue too on the passenger side mirror. Sounds like plastic against plastic and quite loud too.

Car is 6 months old so looks like a trip to the dealer for me too .

·
Registered
874 Posts
Had this on the drivers door (2015) last year. Mentioned it to the dealer and it was replaced under warranty. No hassle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My near-side mirror has an intermittent creak and yesterday the car went in for it's first service (Leaf 30kwh). I don't think the problem was evident when I took it in but investigation showed that the unit had a fault. The mirror is being replaced under warranty at some point in the near future.
Lady I spoke to said it was the first they had seen. I told her to 'google it' as it seems that there is a trend with the passenger mirror creaking...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Our red 17 plate Leaf has stereo creaky mirrors, but the black one is fine...they’re both in for their first service next week so it’s getting reported (and fixed I hope).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine sounds like a “comedy” horror film creaking door. The dealer tried all sorts of lubricants but to no avail. They ordered a new wing mirror from nissan but it’s been 2 weeks and still non available. Get in early and expect a wait for the part.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Mine sounds like a “comedy” horror film creaking door. The dealer tried all sorts of lubricants but to no avail. They ordered a new wing mirror from nissan but it’s been 2 weeks and still non available. Get in early and expect a wait for the part.
Had both of mine sorted yesterday durign service - they removed the covers, adjusted the pivots and lubricated. Both silent now.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts