Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Going to my 4th replacement driver side mirror. Nissan should make a pool of who will win the most mirrors replaced :)
According to the dealer's guys Nissan knows about this issue, they know what is wrong but still can't come up with a solution.
I discussed with the Nissan engineer and made it clear that Nissan will still be liable to replace it when the warranty runs out.
Nissan is replacing a faulty part with another faulty part.
By replacing them they are accepting that there is something wrong with the mirrors therefore they will have to replace it until a solution is found and the problem fixed.
What worries me is that there are records of the new model having the same problem...

·
Registered
662 Posts
9 months on, and my drivers side has gone again too. Tried a liberal WD40 with the straw whilst folding in and out to work it in there - got my hopes up, but only lasted about 12 hours. Will address at next service in a few weeks.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
What worries me is that there are records of the new model having the same problem...
That's probably because the new model uses exactly the same body shell and mirrors for the side profile as the old one.

Realistically, they aren't going to fix it - they almost certainly don't care enough about aftersales to spend the money understanding the problem and engineering a solution. They'd rather you just bought a new car in 2/3 years.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Whatever you do, trying to wrap some teflon tape around the base doesn't work :oops:
There is a spherical base between the mirror body and the base, so unless you manage to put it inside that won't work.

I'll try to have a look at the removed part when I go back to Nissan to have it replaced and will come back to you.

As reply to AndyK, each mirror costs over £200 (according to nissan eng.) and if you think how many they are replacing and the damage that does to their image, I can't see Nissan keeping to ignore it.
The main problem is, as with other many parts, they are supplied by a third party so I guess nissan only spends the labour so it will be to the supplier to have it sorted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its a simple thing to fix centre the mirror and tilt it full down you can then see 2 of the clips that hold the cove in place use a spudger to apply a little upward pressure on the cover/body joint and use a screwdriver to gently push the clips until you feel the cover pop up, wedge it move to next clip and repeat, just dont try to force it, it will come off, then a squirt of silicon spray down the side of the swivel, open and close it a couple of times job done

·
Registered
960 Posts
sadly its not just Nissan, I feel like lots of car makers, even the 'prestige' ones just happy with the common parts bin and as long as it last within the initial warranty they couldn't care less :(

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Update:
So I had my 5th side mirror on driver side replaced.
Unfortunately, the dealer can't give the faulty one because is under warranty and will have to be returned to Nissan.
So, I decided to take action :)

emailed the costumer service offering my assistance and told them that if they wanted I would investigate the issue free of charge.

Got a call from some manager at Nissan, for the look of it there are loads of them there... :cool:)
And was told that, for great surprise, that it was the first time the guy ever heard of such problem.
Then, as soon I told him about the facts, he realised that I knew what I was talking about.
"i'll come back to you and thank you for the offer." was the closing sentence :)
I mentioned to the guy that I understand that Nissan doesn't manufacture the mirrors as it happens with many other parts that are outsourced from third parties. The like of brakes, wipers, bulbs etc. and probably Nissan is passing the blame to the manufacturer but they are forgetting that for us the costumers it is Nissan's image that will be affected.
Probably I won't hear from this guy again.

My suggestion:

All Leaf drivers should bombard the costumer service mailbox with complaints so they decide to take action.
This will be my line of action from now. Any problem I shall have with this or the new model I'll contact the costumer service even if the dealer deals with it to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had my 30kwh 17 plate major serviced by Sheffield Nissan yesterday (£199!). They agreed to fix both wing mirrors without argument. Parts ordered.

UPDATE: fitted and fixed. Not sure where we stand after the 3 year warranty, though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had my driver's side mirror replaced at the last service - both now replaced.

Now the Passenger side mirror has started to creak again - how can Nissan afford to keep replacing what must be a shoddy design.

I think these are fitted to the new leaf too!!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
Had my driver's side mirror replaced at the last service - both now replaced.

Now the Passenger side mirror has started to creak again - how can Nissan afford to keep replacing what must be a shoddy design.

I think these are fitted to the new leaf too!!
Yep they're the same on the new Leaf - and on the previous gen Micra and probably the current Micra, tbh...

It's almost certainly cheaper for them to just replace them rather than bother going to the fuss of actually designing a solution - most customers are too lazy to bother getting them fixed, and of those that do it will only happen so many times before the warranty expires anyway. In fact they're probably only paying in the tens of pounds for each unit, so out of warranty replacements probably cover most of the warranty repairs at the prices I guess they charge!

Sadly that's the mentality of businesses that just aren't fussed about proper customer care.

My drivers side wingmirror (well, my third drivers side wingmirror) has just started creaking again, only now I'm 3 months out of warranty. Frankly, I'll live with it for now (although thinking about it, I have got a can of bicycle lube, I could spray a load of that in there and see what happens...)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Can I ask you guys to send an email to Nissan's costumer service advising of your problems with the mirrors?
I contacted them and was told that they had no idea the mirrors were a problem in the Leaf.
They need to get as much information as possible so Nissan will do something about it.
As far as I understand, the dealers just order new ones and replace them but never explain to the main office what is going on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had my drivers side replaced september last year, and having passenger done this thursday. So annoying.
TBH I wish I could just turn off the auto fold in, I could in my previous LEAF24 from the media system but that function has been removed from newer cars :(

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
WD40, using the thin tube to insert behind the mirror itself worked on my Leaf 24. Back then it never occurred to me to seek replacement of the unit. It was fixed in five minutes at home. As a bonus, it also evicted the resident spider that insisted on spinning a web there every morning. Neither the creak nor the arachnid returned.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can I ask you guys to send an email to Nissan's costumer service advising of your problems with the mirrors?
I contacted them and was told that they had no idea the mirrors were a problem in the Leaf.
They need to get as much information as possible so Nissan will do something about it.
As far as I understand, the dealers just order new ones and replace them but never explain to the main office what is going on.
That's odd as when I had it first happened (passenger side gone again), they knew all about it. Gonna leave it as I now have an audible way of telling me I've locked my car.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That's odd as when I had it first happened (passenger side gone again), they knew all about it. Gonna leave it as I now have an audible way of telling me I've locked my car.
It is odd yes.
But the costumer service manager told me it was the first time he heard of it when I told him about it.
So it would be great if we all tell them about our experience so they don't have an excuse.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts