Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'll have
I have looked in the vehicle settings pages and practicaly all otther pages and can't find it. If you could take a pic of the screen where it is that would help see if i have missed something

this thread has chat about folding mirrors..
Nissan Leaf Automatic Folding Mirrors
to do it later because today I'm on the bike :)
Unfortunately I can't upload pictures (go figure...) but will post all the steps for it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
..the dealers just order new ones and replace them but never explain to the main office what is going on.
Nissan will know full well what is going on. Warranty data is critical to controlling quality and warranty work costs Nissan money - believe me, internally they'll be all over this issue like a rash. They are not likely to talk about it as they'll be keen to keep the lid on it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nissan will know full well what is going on. Warranty data is critical to controlling quality and warranty work costs Nissan money - believe me, internally they'll be all over this issue like a rash. They are not likely to talk about it as they'll be keen to keep the lid on it.
You're forgetting that Nissan doesn't manufacture the mirrors.
These, like many other parts (brakes, tyres, wipers, bulbs, windows etc.) are outsourced and Nissan simply passes down the cost.
It definitely affects their image but I'm some brain at Nissan will have weighted this against keeping replace the faulty mirrors and keeping costumers happy.
Most of us will forget the fact that we will need to travel to the dealer, have the mirrors replaced and moan fir a few days about it. A week later all will be put behind the back and move on.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You're forgetting that Nissan doesn't manufacture the mirrors.
I forget quite a lot, but not this. It matters little who pays for the mirror - someone has to pay for the mirror, the fitting, the re-stocking, the transport etc. It is Nissan's reliability that it will be held against and all the Japanese manufacturers are anally retentive about quality and reliability. There will be warranty reports going to senior staff, warranty costs in monthly spreadsheets, warranty meetings, supplier meetings etc where these things will be discussed and the costs passed back to guilty party. Investigations will be started, fixes will be phased in. Of course, no-one is going to go back and retrofit every Leaf mirror in the world but you may well find that replacement mirrors start to come through the supply chain with ptfe washers, or the like.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Both ours have been fixed, one was replaced and the other greased. Now the first one replaced has started creaking again..

Is there a way to stop the auto close / open.. That will be a work around to stop them creaking.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just had my second driver side mirror start creaking. Asked if it was covered under extended warranty and it has been agreed

·
Registered
662 Posts
Both ours have been fixed, one was replaced and the other greased. Now the first one replaced has started creaking again..

Is there a way to stop the auto close / open.. That will be a work around to stop them creaking.
There's nothing in the software. You'd have to start ripping bits out.

There's a link here to the guide for installing the right bits, you could always reverse engineer it to work out what to remove

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2017 Leaf 30, the dealer has replaced both mirrors twice in less than a year.The first time was around 10 months ago and the second this week. I called customer service and was told that if it happens once the car runs out of warranty a case manager will look in to it because it has happened twice to my car already.
The customer service guy also told me that he was putting a note on my profile about my concern about this not be covered outside of warranty. He was very adamant that most likely it will be covered by Nissan id it happens again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I own a 2017 Leaf 30, the dealer has replaced both mirrors twice in less than a year.The first time was around 10 months ago and the second this week. I called customer service and was told that if it happens once the car runs out of warranty a case manager will look in to it because it has happened twice to my car already.
The customer service guy also told me that he was putting a note on my profile about my concern about this not be covered outside of warranty. He was very adamant that most likely it will be covered by Nissan id it happens again.
2017 Leaf 30 too and having second creaky mirror replaced on Saturday. Seems it'll be an annual event unless they pull their finger out and design it properly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had my second driver side mirror start creaking. Asked if it was covered under extended warranty and it has been agreed
Nissan have just refused to replace my creaking mirrors under the extended warranty I got as a result of buying it second hand from a franchised dealer. Instead, they've quoted me £891.99 to replace them both (and £374.84 to have my corroding OSF suspension mount repaired). Is this the same type of warranty you used to successfully claim? How much encouragement did you have to give them?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nissan have just refused to replace my creaking mirrors under the extended warranty I got as a result of buying it second hand from a franchised dealer. Instead, they've quoted me £891.99 to replace them both (and £374.84 to have my corroding OSF suspension mount repaired). Is this the same type of warranty you used to successfully claim? How much encouragement did you have to give them?
I would dispute it if you have the service history with Nissan.
Regardless of being a 2nd hand Nissan knows this is a manufacturing fault and they have been replacing folding mirrors all over.
Is this the dealer refusing or Nissan itself?
If the dealer, get on the phone and complain about the dealer wanting to charge for the mirrors.
When I had mine replace a few months ago I called costumer service and told them that I would expect the mirrors to be fixed regardless of in warranty or not.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
My car goes back next month and the current mirrors seem to have endured the high temperatures compared to the original ones that started groaning after the prolonged summer last year.

·
Registered
749 Posts
You should watch this video from EVM:

He describes how Nissan refused to correct a problem that has been identified within the warranty period if the fix date happens to be scheduled out of warranty. Doesn't sound fair at all to be honest. What if you were 2 weeks away from end of warranty and issues were identified, you then ask when the next available appointment was and they said in 15 days ... :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would dispute it if you have the service history with Nissan.
Regardless of being a 2nd hand Nissan knows this is a manufacturing fault and they have been replacing folding mirrors all over.
Is this the dealer refusing or Nissan itself?
If the dealer, get on the phone and complain about the dealer wanting to charge for the mirrors.
When I had mine replace a few months ago I called costumer service and told them that I would expect the mirrors to be fixed regardless of in warranty or not.
The franchised dealer are refusing on the basis that apparently the warranty underwriters don't cover it. I have a full Nissan service history so will take your advice and go to the customer service team. Not got long to sort it out because my warranty ends in a week!

·
Registered
874 Posts
The warranty was taken out before the original expired and was handled by Dealer/Nissan.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No need to replace mirrors, clip off mirror, clip off plastic by holding tab nearest door and pull on side nearest door, pull downwards away from mirror carefully.
Then look to where the motor is and you will see a white disc under the black plastic (this is where the mirror pivots. Put silicone grease there spray liberally, push button on and off to move mirror and you see where the movement/creak is. It should now be gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to drag this thread up after 8 months of silence but I would like any views on the issue I am having with my drivers door mirror.

I've had my Leaf since June 2020 and noticed the creaking mirror when I bought it. As all dealers were closed due to cover I couldn't speak to anyone about the issue but managed to track down the previous owner who told me that her local dealer was going to fix it under warranty but Covid happened.

She handed the car back at end of her PCP at the end of March and the warranty period also ended at that date but the dealer was aware of the issue.

Fast forward to July and the dealers are open so I contacted my local dealer, different one to the previous owner, to book the car in for a service and I also mention the creaking mirror story and they say they will look at it.

Today the car has been in for a service and they have told me that it needs a OSF door mirror assembly. After some discussion they agree to ask Nissan to pay for the work and the will get back to me.

Nissan have offered to pay 50% towards to the part which is £392.96 and the dealer will do a discounted fitting fee resulting in a total of £232.49

So do I bite the bullet and get the work done of go directly to Nissan myself in the hope of getting a better deal.

Anyone who gone direct to Nissan to discuss anything similar I would appreciate any experiences that you may have had.

Sorry its bit long but thanks for reading.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
869 Posts
1 can of silicone spray, adjust mirrors as far down and out as they will go.

Spray using the nozzle extension into the left upper corner.

Fold and unfold a few times and all done.

People have reported even the replacements creak again after a while.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
People have reported even the replacements creak again after a while.
Good point - and one that I forgot to mention. Over the years there have been many reports of replaced mirrors developing the same annoying fault. I recall one thread mentioning a third mirror before silence. When this first happened in my 2015 Leaf 24 it never occurred to me to seek a warranty replacement as a quick WD40 squirt using the thin red delivery straw cured it. I treated the other mirror at the same time as a preventative measure. It also evicted the annoying mirror spiders that liked to spin a daily web, which was a secondary benefit.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts