Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here - looking very closely at buying an i3 and this forum has been extremely useful so thank you.

I am going for a nearly new i3 94Ah Rex. Having researched everything to death I have a remaining niggle about the width of the car, as I have a wide garage but an irritatingly narrow garage door - the car will only *just* fit width-wise (about 4cm clearance given the spec'd width of 2039mm). Given my dodgy driving that's going to result in scraped mirrors and rules out the car unless I can easily fold them.

I have read several conflicting bits of advice online about automatic folding of the mirrors. The i3 manual (as ever, region and model not specified...) says they can be autofolded at low speeds (great!) by pushing the mirror select button, but posts here and elsewhere suggest that doesn't work on some models, or requires hacking/coding - not something I want to do.

I would be very grateful if someone can tell me if this model does or does not have the ability to fold mirrors while the car is moving at low speed.

Many thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have had two i3 Rex’s and they both had folding mirrors. They were fairly highly spec’d cars, so folding mirror could be part a package I added without realizing.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi all, first post here - looking very closely at buying an i3 and this forum has been extremely useful so thank you.

I am going for a nearly new i3 94Ah Rex. Having researched everything to death I have a remaining niggle about the width of the car, as I have a wide garage but an irritatingly narrow garage door - the car will only *just* fit width-wise (about 4cm clearance given the spec'd width of 2039mm). Given my dodgy driving that's going to result in scraped mirrors and rules out the car unless I can easily fold them.

I have read several conflicting bits of advice online about automatic folding of the mirrors. The i3 manual (as ever, region and model not specified...) says they can be autofolded at low speeds (great!) by pushing the mirror select button, but posts here and elsewhere suggest that doesn't work on some models, or requires hacking/coding - not something I want to do.

I would be very grateful if someone can tell me if this model does or does not have the ability to fold mirrors while the car is moving at low speed.

Many thanks,
Rich
I think you have to have the Comfort Access package to have the auto mirrors but I am sure an i3 owner will confirm that - if a car has them, it will almost certainly be listed as part of the spec when up for sale.

If test driving one look for an extra button next to the mirror control, or press and hold the lock button on the remote if the seller doesn’t know (surely they would, but if it is a dealer, who knows?).

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I think you have to have the Comfort Access package to have the auto mirrors but I am sure an i3 owner will confirm that - if a car has them, it will almost certainly be listed as part of the spec when up for sale.

If test driving one look for an extra button next to the mirror control, or press and hold the lock button on the remote if the seller doesn’t know (surely they would, but if it is a dealer, who knows?).
I don't have Comfort Access, but I do have folding mirrors on my i3. I'm pretty sure they're just standard kit so may well not be listed on spec.

If you're thinking of buying a second hand one then it's always worth plugging the VIN into one of the online BMW VIN check websites: you'll get a complete list of all factory options.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sean Davis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Just to check - can the mirrors be folded while the car is still moving (slowly), not only once it is parked? I would need this to safely get it through the garage door.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have Comfort Access, but I do have folding mirrors on my i3. I'm pretty sure they're just standard kit so may well not be listed on spec.

If you're thinking of buying a second hand one then it's always worth plugging the VIN into one of the online BMW VIN check websites: you'll get a complete list of all factory options.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
I have a 2017 94 Ah model and also don't have comfort access but do have folding mirrors. I bought the car new and didn't order them as an option so I'm pretty sure they are standard spec. There is a button on the door inside the car that allows you to fold and unfold the mirrors at will, so you should be able to check for this when you are viewing possible cars to buy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,386 Posts

Many thanks,
Rich
The mirrors can be folded in with either a button push or a long press on the key fob when closing the door. If you use the key fob, then the mirrors will extend when open is pressed. If you drive off with the mirrors folded (having used the button on the inside door handle), the mirrors will stay folded for sometime. I have driven out of supermarket car parks before now and it has been a couple of minutes before the mirrors extended. I am guessing but it might be speed related. In sum, you should be able to back in and drive out of your garage with the mirrors folded if you use the door handle button.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts