Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think this is possible but just wondered if anyone knows how to fold the mirrors up whilst driving. I do a lot of narrow country lanes and prefer to fold them up on these sections as I've previously had one taken off by someone driving too far on my side of the road!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not tried it on the golf but on my last previous Audi's you could select the bottom left position (on the switch) when driving and it would fold them in. Not sure if it was speed specific but I regularly used it for the same kind of thing you mention.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's the symbols I have but the fold function doesn't seem to work whilst moving. I'll do a test on the way home to see if it's speed specific but I know for sure it does fold when you're stationary

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Have not tried it on my GTE yet sorry, my guess would be that they are speed relatted ?.
I had a BMW 3 series in 2009 that the door mirrors would fold in when you are parked.
If you forget to extend them when you started driving again, they would automatically fold out at about 20 MPH.
So on the BMW speed related then !!!.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, did some testing on the way to work this morning and it would seem that you can fold your mirrors in whilst stationary and then drive with them folded in - I reached 60MPH and the mirrors did not unfold themselves. But, I couldn't get the mirrors to fold in whilst moving

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, some more extensive testing this evening and you can fold the mirrors in up to either 30 or 35 mph - couldn't quite tell what the exact speed was.

So now we all know!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't think any number is specified, you just need to have adequate view of the road behind.

That said, it'd be an MOT failure if any factory fitted safety device had been removed, modified or broken, by which token it's arguable that they should always be open when driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts