Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been tinkering...

One of the things I noticed when driving the car home from picking it up is the lack of a foot rest to the left of the brake.

There’s a nice flat space to rest your left foot, but it’s straight onto the carpet. This didn’t strike me as a very long term solution, wearing the carpet out doesn’t sound like a good plan.

I went poking around on Amazon and found a set of aluminium/rubber pedals for a BMW something or other, and one of the plates looked like it might fit the ID.3 space. At less than a tenner for the set, I thought it worth a punt.

I offered up the biggest plate in the set, and it fits pretty much spot on. A mm overhang on the right, but otherwise fine.

It’s secured with 4 x self tapping screws that are just long enough to bite into the carpet/sound insulation, and no further. It’s a very secure fit.

Anyway, it’ll soon be scuffed up the same as the factory pedals, and it’s better than having my foot on the carpet, which is the point really.

Before and after pic.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice. Can you post the link on Amazon?
Good idea!

The price has gone up to £12 (!), but there’s a 5% off click box when I just looked.

There seem to be plenty of BMW E30 pedal sets though, some might be cheaper. It’s only the biggest bit you want.

Qiilu 4pcs Car Manual Transmission Foot Rest Pedal, Clutch Brake Foot Rest Pedal Pad for 1 3 5 7 X1 Series E30 E32 Qiilu 4pcs Car Manual Transmission Foot Rest Pedal, Clutch Brake Foot Rest Pedal Pad for 1 3 5 7 X1 Series E30 E32: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Did you screw them into the car? Any concerns about what's under the carpet?
Under the carpet is some insulation, the screws only protrude a few mm under the plate, just enough to bite the weave in the carpet.

I had a good poke about and feel of the carpet, nothing under there except the floor pan as far as I could tell. Obviously, do it at your own risk, and don’t use the supplied screws, they’re a bit long.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you use Velcro instead? some come with a sticky side to attach to the carpet and the foot rest.
Yes, that could work. On the rest I purchased though, you’d need to glue the rubber backing to the plate first and then stick the Velcro to that.

It might not be as secure a fit, but it should work.

·
Registered
2015 Golf Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI
119 Posts
Foot rest
More stingyness from VW. On my Golfs for last 20+ years there has been a moulded plastic foot rest for left foot in that position.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I foresee another 3D printing project coming! Was wondering what I'd be able to do to mine, when I get it ... :)

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I foresee another 3D printing project coming! Was wondering what I'd be able to do t mine, when I get it ... :)
I’ve got a much underused 3D printer sitting in the workshop, I didn’t think of that.

I’ve even got some metallic pink PLA left over from printing Barbie accessories for my daughter! 😂

I’ve got some black ABS too, although that’s a pain to print with.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's now at £20 for the set, have you've started an influx of orders and stock is now low?
They're perhaps wondering why BMW 5 Series drivers are suddenly replacing their footrests?!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
276 Posts
It's now at £20 for the set, have you've started an influx of orders and stock is now low?
There’s quite a few identical looking kits on Amazon at varying prices. I’ve ordered on that came in just under £18, so nowhere near the original price, but thanks to @Tooks for highlighting the solution. Even at this price it will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Do you know what length self-tapping screws you used? I don’t have any lying around, so I’d need to buy some and want to make sure I get the right ones.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you know what length self-tapping screws you used? I don’t have any lying around, so I’d need to buy some and want to make sure I get the right ones.
I don’t unfortunately, but they only protruded about 5mm beyond the back of the footrest, just enough to bite into the weave on the back of the carpet. I’ve just got one of those multi packs of various size screws in the shed, and picked from those.

I poked around through the carpet with a big needle, to gauge how thick the carpet and underlay were, and used that measurement to ensure I wasn’t going to go any deeper and into whatever is underneath that big of carpet.

If you’re getting the same footrest, I can remove one and see what length it was?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I don’t unfortunately, but they only protruded about 5mm beyond the back of the footrest, just enough to bite into the weave on the back of the carpet. I’ve just got one of those multi packs of various size screws in the shed, and picked from those.

I poked around through the carpet with a big needle, to gauge how thick the carpet and underlay were, and used that measurement to ensure I wasn’t going to go any deeper and into whatever is underneath that big of carpet.

If you’re getting the same footrest, I can remove one and see what length it was?
Oh, no, don’t worry, that’s good enough info for me... thanks! I’ll get a multipack too and just measure roughly 5mm from the back of the footrest to figure out which one. When I do, I’ll measure the screw and post back on this thread how long it was, save you pulling it all out again now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I foresee another 3D printing project coming! Was wondering what I'd be able to do to mine, when I get it ... :)
Did you ever do anything about printing a footrest?
I don't have the car yet, so taking detailed measurements isn't possible.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts