Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe you need a trusty backup ICE in your garage or your Leaf is degraded so badly you can't use it any more, or you like the idea of EVs but you're just not ready to commit yet - whatever the reason, if you want a hybrid hatchback this is a good one to choose. It's the same general idea as a Prius (they even look basically the same!) but significantly cheaper to buy and returns very similar (ok but not quite as good) fuel economy.

Mine is for sale on eBay, but very happy to hear from any interested members here, too:

There's also a short video walkround here:

Any questions just let me know :)

Reactions: TJEV

Registered
As the auction only just started and you're up to 拢1550 with 41 bids I think you already have a bidding war.

The boot looks absolutely massive with the seats down, and is completely flat. Reminds me of the first gen Honda Jazz. Out of interest, why did Honda stop selling the insight? Seems like a great platform to rival the Prius.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As the auction only just started and you're up to 拢1550 with 41 bids I think you already have a bidding war.

The boot looks absolutely massive with the seats down, and is completely flat. Reminds me of the first gen Honda Jazz. Out of interest, why did Honda stop selling the insight? Seems like a great platform to rival the Prius.
It's just not seen as "the" hybrid like the Prius is, so it's never had the same kind of sales. It's still on sale in the US!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a small bump to say this auction finishes at half four this afternoon!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The paddles are for 鈥渟hifting鈥 gears when in Sport mode. It鈥檚 a CVT so there鈥檚 no physical gear changes, but it moves the engine speed up or down to feel like an auto box, does make it more lively when you 鈥渄ownshift鈥 before overtaking.
It is a very quiet engine, but then it is only a 1.3 so very small! Electric only range is very short. I鈥檇 guess half a mile or less. I think there鈥檚 about 0.5kwh usable in the battery. By design it鈥檒l only go EV only in certain conditions (warm engine, low power demand, low speed) but if you鈥檙e driving around town it will hop in and out of EV mode and of course engine stops when you stop.

I thought the video would help! Sometimes a short video answers many potential questions!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good old eBay - the winner decided he didn鈥檛 actually want to pay what he鈥檇 bid, so the car is relisted.

Registered
Is there any way to determine battery condition? At this age and mileage is the battery likely to need replacing soon and what would it cost to replace?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any way to determine battery condition? At this age and mileage is the battery likely to need replacing soon and what would it cost to replace?
No way I鈥檓 aware of to check it, but you can see it does still provide plenty of assist when accelerating and full charge rate when braking. I know the first gen Insights did sometimes need pack refurbs to replace some modules, but don鈥檛 remember reading about any for the second gen on the Insight forum.

Registered
There are some insights on battery testing here:
In particular:
"take the car out onto a less travelled road and accelerate hard. If the battery energy dies quickly, or if the IMA light displays, then the battery is certainly marginal.
The speed with which a battery recharges after being emptied from hard acceleration is also an indicator. Batteries with little capacity will recharge to full very quickly. It takes several miles to recharge a decent battery."

The battery is NiMH, not Li-ion, with 84 x 1.2v cells giving 100.8 volts, and a claimed 15-year life.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well as I say, it gives strong assist under full acceleration with no error lights so seems healthy to me. Be handy if the instrument cluster could show capacity/health, but I鈥檓 not going to buy a special gadget for it now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts