Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's with a heavy heart that we're selling our Ampera after 15 months of ownership. This is quite honestly the best car I've owned, but it gave us a thirst for full electric and we now have an e-Niro. We can't justify two cars, so Ampy has to go.

Update: This is now listed on AutoTrader with some updated photos. I've also dropped the price a little.

We've had just over 7k miles of effortless motoring, averaging 128 mpg. Commuting and weekend shopping trips are all-electric. Petrol only really got used when driving to see parents or on breaks to the countryside.

✅ Full Vauxhall Service History. The 8-year service was just done at Thurlow Nunn, Luton, on 21st September, and MOT'd on 2nd October.
✅ Battery still delivers the "full" 10.4kWh (40+ miles in summer).
✅ Electron spec (has the Bose media system). White interior accents. All Amperas have leather seats, cruise control, parking sensors, etc.
✅ Super smooth driving and far nippier than the 8 sec 0-60 time would make you expect.
✅ Supplied with the original, working, 3-pin "Granny" charger (charges in 4-5 hours).
✅ 12V battery replaced last year with a Varta D52.
✅ Radiator protection fitted (as recommended by pretty much every Ampera owner on this forum!)
✅ All door buttons work following replacement last year (a known weakness with the Ampera/Volt - again, big thanks to SpeakEV members for guidance on this.)

First registered May 2012. 4 owners inlcuding me. We purchased it from R Symons. Previous owner was in Scotland, I believe. Lifetime 104 mpg.

Being over 8 years old there is no Voltec warranty left, but these things are mechanically fairly bulletproof and we've had no cause for concern.

It has the standard Ampera quirks: the charge flap can stick a little in winter (lubricate it) and the service steering lock warning appears a few times a year and immediately clears (ignore it). MOT reports a pitted brake disc warning (not weakened) - common on EVs because the breaks don't get a lot of use.

PM me for the reg if you want to do an MOT/HPI check. We're in south Hertfordshire if you're interested in viewing.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
... but it gave us a thirst for full electric and we now have an e-Niro
Reads to me like you are selling the e-Niro! Did you mean to say the Ampera's total range exceeds your needs?

"The Vauxhall Ampera gives all the benefits of an electric car, but with none of the drawbacks", says Vauxhall (2012).

Little has changed since 2012 and charging networks continue to operate distinct subscriptions/memberships. One nuanced change is that more Tesla cars are occupying the over-subscribed generic charge points instead of using the Tesla-only charge points.

Ampera are great because they continue to side-step wider infrastructure issues. Yours looks good. Hope you sell it soon! (y)

Reactions: RichardA

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reads to me like you are selling the e-Niro! Did you mean to say the Ampera's total range exceeds your needs?

"The Vauxhall Ampera gives all the benefits of an electric car, but with none of the drawbacks", says Vauxhall (2012).
Haha!

The Ampera was the right car for us at the time, and it's absolutely still the right car for many people. It's sad that Vauxhall didn't sell more. There is no other car I can think of, that you can pick up for under £10k right now, that can drive pure electric for all of your "average" journeys (commutes, school runs, shopping, visiting the next town) but still be capable of going 200+ mile road trips without stopping (although you should, for a break!) Even many brand new PHEVs costing £30k+ aren't pure electric under load, and certainly can't go 40+ miles on battery.

To be honest, the Ampera still meets our requirements, but we're in the privileged position of being able to pick up something newer and, for our journey profile, the e-Niro, with 250+ miles range, suits us well, and we can finally ditch the petrol forecourt entirely.

Little has changed since 2012 and charging networks continue to operate distinct subscriptions/memberships. One nuanced change is that more Tesla cars are occupying the over-subscribed generic charge points instead of using the Tesla-only charge points.

Ampera are great because they continue to side-step wider infrastructure issues.
Agreed, there are still challenges with the infrastructure. We charge at home. Our longest common journey, to see parents, is a 200 mile round trip, so we can do that in the e-Niro without with public charging (and we'll probably top up with the "granny" at the parents anyway). If we need to drive to Scotland, we'll just have to deal with the rapid charging infrastrucutre.

For folks who want to get into electric driving, but don't want to deal with rapid charging or perceived range anxiety on long journeys, the Ampera is perfect.

Yours looks good. Hope you sell it soon! (y)
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts