Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
EGGY
964 Posts
Just called them, they have apparently been advised that HV is now covered and will confirm via mail, revised warranty documents not yet produced so they cannot send a copy out yet

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Just called them, they have apparently been advised that HV is now covered and will confirm via mail, revised warranty documents not yet produced so they cannot send a copy out yet
I am not sure that I would accept what could be a fundamental change to the terms of a contract based on someone in CS - who may be on sales commission - saying that they will confirm the change by e-mail. But then again, I am just naturally cautious.

·
EGGY
964 Posts
Yup I share your concerns, here's the reply:

In response to your questions, I can confirm that if you decided you would like to renew the warranty you would be covered by two warranties.

The BMW Extended warranty sold by Allianz would not cover high voltage batteries and external cables under the extended warranty. Internal high voltage cables will be covered under the warranty .

In regards to the other questions outlined in this email I will need to refer you to our customer services team who are well informed on the BMW I-Battery warranty and the original battery warranty on this vehicle.

Customer services :0800 325 600

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yup I share your concerns, here's the reply:

In response to your questions, I can confirm that if you decided you would like to renew the warranty you would be covered by two warranties.

The BMW Extended warranty sold by Allianz would not cover high voltage batteries and external cables under the extended warranty. Internal high voltage cables will be covered under the warranty .

In regards to the other questions outlined in this email I will need to refer you to our customer services team who are well informed on the BMW I-Battery warranty and the original battery warranty on this vehicle.

Customer services :0800 325 600
The first part of the response is re-assuring as it appears to accord with the warranty ts and cs in that HV internal cables are not excluded items. They have though failed to mention that the 12 volt battery is also excluded from the insured warranty. It will be interesting to see if the warranty document is actually updated.

Sadly, this is a situation that could get complicated with 2 warranties. This is a report of a Drivetrain failure followed by a total loss of propulsion on a 2014 BEV with 37,000 miles on the odometer in the States. Six weeks on, this is what was posted:

Quote: Here it is 6 weeks later and I just got my car back from the dealer.
:D
Over the last 6 weeks they tried a variety of fixes, and each time the car tried to kill the service tech by shutting down with each attempt. Finally they surrendered and replaced the THE WHOLE BATTERY PACK (of which I was told was a $35K fix) and gave me back the car this morning. Before this last service call happened I had offered to let them by the car back at a reasonable price, but seeing how the bluebook value of my $50,000 car has plummeted to below $13K
:o
, they only laughed (along with BMWUSA) and handed me back the keys. But hey, at 36,600 miles at least I have a new pack.
:roll:
Unquote

One can only hope that the Insured Warranty provider would take ownership of the problem and deal with BMW as necessary. Clearly, BMW dealing with its own insured warranty provider would probably be less fraught than dealing with A N Other. That said, this was a 2014 BEV and there were known issues with 2014 models.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree, I'm going to pay up and spend the next year looking for a new car
Yes, that’s exactly the way we looked at it......BMW one year warranty for the cost of third party three year warranty, and TBH I am not sure we will keep it for more than another year, I am hoping (most likely in vain) that being a BMW “named” warranty it might be a better experience if needed, and we get the BMW recovery service.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
It is worth factoring in to your thinking the cost of the BMW Insured Warranty versus the depreciation on a new EV. I traded up after 4 years because I wanted the increased EV range.
The old adage for cost effective motoring with minimum contact with garages for money draining repairs was 'buy at two and sell at five'. That way you avoided the worst of the deprection and the likely worst of the bigger later repairs. For an i3 I think it might have to be 'buy at two and sell at four' because of cost and probability of repair. Also switching so as to delete the need for a REx by going from a 94Ah REx to a 120Ah makes the decision even more finely balanced since the replacement car ought to be more reliable and you have a battery that is two years younger in respect of decay. I am working on a target of running an i3 and keeping the cost per mile below 50p.

Most of that is depreciation. I wonder what sort of figure other i3 drivers are coming out with? I am assuming for two to four years a £2k a year depreciation plus a £1500 margin for the dealer taking a trade-in.

What sort of repairs are folk encountering in practice (if any) in year three to four?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am reading the policy document for the comprehensive warranty and I cannot find where it says internal HV cables are covered, is this covered under the battery warranty?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I am reading the policy document for the comprehensive warranty and I cannot find where it says internal HV cables are covered, is this covered under the battery warranty?
It doesn't, but that is not what is being said. The BMW Insured Warranty (Comprehensive) does not exclude the HV cables but it does exclude the HV battery. The latter is covered by the 8 year battery warranty which does not include HV cables. After 3 years, replacement of the 12volt battery is one for the owner.

221 - 230 of 230 Posts