Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine had constant problems with the REx not being able to charge the batteries, and the CCS not working
I wasn't aware that the REx would charge the batteries - or did you mean that it wouldn't run the car?
I have to say that the CCS seems a lot more temperamental than ChaDeMo - not sure if it's the car or the chargers.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I wasn't aware that the REx would charge the batteries - or did you mean that it wouldn't run the car?
I have to say that the CCS seems a lot more temperamental than ChaDeMo - not sure if it's the car or the chargers.
CCS is a newer standard than chademo and makers have less experience with it.

But - DBT rapids are known to be particularly bad at CCS.

·
EGGY
1,400 Posts
That €7000 for a replacement battery apparently doesn't include the cost of fitting it. I found reports on another forum of that German i3 owner had been charged around €9000 all told
Quite possibly, so £7,800 .... Imagine a 4 year old 60ah BEV that might be worth say £10k, you could double the range for £8k with a new battery, or buy a 2nd hand 94ah for say £16 - £20k (I'm guessing here) , could be worth doing. The principle of the thing is there's not enough volume of older cars to make it worth anyones time at the moment but in a few years time availability of cars + cost of upgrade + increased range benefits might = worth doing

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quite possibly, so £7,800 .... Imagine a 4 year old 60ah BEV that might be worth say £10k, you could double the range for £8k with a new battery, or buy a 2nd hand 94ah for say £16 - £20k (I'm guessing here) , could be worth doing. The principle of the thing is there's not enough volume of older cars to make it worth anyones time at the moment but in a few years time availability of cars + cost of upgrade + increased range benefits might = worth doing
It will never get to that - partly because the newer car is still newer so has more warranty, less wear and higher resale value and partly because car makers want to sell cars so they are unlikely to price an upgrade path low enough to make it more attractive than a newer car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is that per year, or just for Year 4?
Yes, year 4 only, as far as I understood there is no material price increase (other than inflation) until the vehicle reaches 60k miles and no cover is available when the vehicle has more than 100k miles.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
You could double the range if you upgraded the electrics and charger to understand they had a bigger battery but I can't imagine BMW making that easy, more likely they would register a fault and not go.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So you'd need this config to approximate the manufacturer warranty?

Yes, basically. Someone on the UK i3 F*cebook group got them to do a decent-sized repair and they were very good, so generally well thought-of. I chose those options but went for a 3yr deal because 1) you can pay a small admin fee (£25?) to transfer the warranty to a new owner and 2) it's cheaper per year and I think we'll commit to having our stormtrooper for another 3yrs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
@PhilGarner warranty wording from ALA says batteries and wiring are excluded - therefore its not real worth the paper its written on.

If I was a betting man the first components to degrade will be the main HV cables, which in their original design frequently trapped moisture and registered leak faults.
8yr / 100k miles warranty on that stuff from the Germans, so you're good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You should read the warranty that is for the battery not including drivetrain components.
Exactly. The 8yr covers the cells, ALA covers a lot of the other stuff. The exclusions are the same as the BMW ones. Final point - it's not a factory extended warranty anyway. BMW have sold extended warranties to Allianz and the 'factory extended warranty' at £1k / year is just a hugely inflated insurance product. ALA will get your car repaired by BMW if you click the franchise option. :)

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Exactly. The 8yr covers the cells, ALA covers a lot of the other stuff. The exclusions are the same as the BMW ones. Final point - it's not a factory extended warranty anyway. BMW have sold extended warranties to Allianz and the 'factory extended warranty' at £1k / year is just a hugely inflated insurance product. ALA will get your car repaired by BMW if you click the franchise option. :)
So you agree with me but think the HV warranty includes cabling too ? Confused.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So you agree with me but think the HV warranty includes cabling too ? Confused.
ALA covers failure of major components - I can't remember the policy wording on HV cables, but I would take the line that HV cabling on an EV is drivetrain, not "vehicular wiring".

I also know from hearsay that BMW have honoured repairs to components out of warranty when they are on the HV side, especially if they're subject to recall or an improved part is available.

Fortunately (touches wood), our 15-plate REX has been very reliable and hasn't suffered from a lot of the gremlins that seem to hound other cars. We've had the replacement parts on the REX (cause of the CEL errors due to moisture buildup I believe) during our warranty period.

Fact is that ALA + remaining battery warranty is LESS THAN 30% of the cost of the Allianz competing product for three-year cover, yet the car will be repaired with the same bits at the same ££ labour rate in the same garage. I haven't got big enough balls to run a 4/5/6 year old i3 REX with no warranty but the Allianz one is a ripoff.

Bet you're still confused, sorry :)

Reactions: Jeff hawkins

·
Registered
942 Posts
Surely a non BMW warranty would only ever cover you up to value of car ? So effectively useless where BMW are concerned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Think the probable best solution here is NOT to let the warranty lapse.. which will make it jump higher in cost.. Always renew from within the 3yrs.. and just have a high excess.. so you covered for the massive catastrophic events but not paying massive premiums.. job done.

I would not trust the ALA cover.. too vaguely written.. they could effectively get out of most of the issues with that policy wording.. franchise repairer or not

·
Registered
175 Posts
Surely a non BMW warranty would only ever cover you up to value of car ? So effectively useless where BMW are concerned.
I don't understand this comment. Up to the value of the car is the most you ever get from any warranty - otherwise they just write it off as uneconomic repair. That's why it's important to realise that the BMW "warranty" is actually an insurance product.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Think the probable best solution here is NOT to let the warranty lapse.. which will make it jump higher in cost
Nope. As soon as your first 3yrs lapse the Allianz policy becomes unavailable. And post-factory warranties are all much cheaper than the BMW offering.

Always renew from within the 3yrs.. and just have a high excess.. so you covered for the massive catastrophic events but not paying massive premiums
Nope again. A large excess (£500 IIRC) and £800+ per year premium for a new insurance product isn't good value, however severe the claims you need to make are. If there was a good compromise here I would have taken it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The real answer is that if your car has been unreliable you need to shift it and take the loss before your 3yr factory warranty has expired. Or let the car go back into approved used stock and get another one. As a buyer your options are to transfer a 3rd party warranty or buy from BMW and appreciate that used cars come with a year, plus a tiny amount of goodwill. I agree with the OP - the i3 is not a car to run without any warranty cover.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's quite simple . A manufacturers warranty will normally cover any repair. A 3rd party warranty will only cover up to the car value - with BMW's depreciation coupled with BMW parts & labour rates makes them totally worthless.
I don't understand this comment. Up to the value of the car is the most you ever get from any warranty - otherwise they just write it off as uneconomic repair. That's why it's important to realise that the BMW "warranty" is actually an insurance product.

81 - 100 of 270 Posts