Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
681 - 700 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,432 Posts
I just got moved from Octopus Go (15p day/5p for 4 hours, 25p standing charge) to Flexible Octopus (30.78p day/21.24p night, 43.22p standing charge) - with no notification email at all.
When my gas deal was up they did notify me and that was fair enough. For electricity I didn't get a notice or choice of tariffs at all.
Well that’s a first AFAIK. Sorry to hear that. Those that sadly didn’t get the rollover, did appear to get a long period end of tariff notification email (usually exactly 45 days). Have you actually checked back in the history list of official emails that you can see when you log in to your Octopus account? It’s possible they sent it but you didn’t receive it.
Peter.

PS That’s also their ECO7 dual rate flex tariff. If they were going to default you onto the SVT I would have expected the non ECO7 flat rate which is slightly cheaper daytime at around 28p. I think if you didn’t ask for that ECO7 tariff, you have a good case to challenge it. As said, nothing to lose. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Folks, I'm really confused by what I've been offered here.

I've just had the email to say that "
16th May 2022, you'll reach the end of your fixed term, and will automatically roll onto Octopus Go (unless you choose another tariff in the meantime, of course).

Our prices have been adjusted recently to account for the latest changes in wholesale costs.

If you'd like to fix your prices, you'll find up-to-date rates in your online account."

When I click that link it offers Octopus 12M fixed and Loyal 12M fixed, both at ludicrously high prices, but no mention of Octopus Go.
When I go into my account it shows this:
As others have said, do nothing. This is a June 2018 tariff you're being rolled onto, so enjoy the cheap electricity.

My hypothesis is they are doing this to customers who meet a certain usage profile (perhaps those with a certain % of off-peak usage). For anyone who has NOT been rolled over, would you care to describe what you used the off-peak period for?

·
Registered
177 Posts
My hypothesis is they are doing this to customers who meet a certain usage profile (perhaps those with a certain % of off-peak usage). For anyone who has NOT been rolled over, would you care to describe what you used the off-peak period for?
I've wondered the same. There's clearly something beyond random luck going on! And it can't be a sensible commercial decision either.

As an example, our annual usage is about 17,000kWh - old house, 4 people, 2 EV's, ASHP - and about 60% of our usage is squeezed into the Go Faster five hours.

Our annual bill was £1,850 - on "standard" it would have been £3,300!

We got rolled over again for another year as of last month, which represents a very significant saving compared to the alternatives, but makes no sense commercially as I can't see how Octopus are going to even break even.

Be interested to how the lucky and unlucky ones stack up compared to this - maybe we can determine a pattern...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do the Ofgem energy supply ‘rules’/law allow a company to default you from a dual rate tariff (Octopus Go) to a single rate tariff (Octopus Flex).

I had assumed it was allowed but my own experience with EDF has made me doubt this. I was on EDF Go-Electric98 (98hrs of off-peak per week). At the end of the fixed period, I was sent the rates for their variable Economy7 tariff ….. but was told they would apply to the 98hours of off-peak use of my previous fixed tariff. The off peak rate of my variable tariff is now 17p. The peak rate is only fractionally more than the EDF single rate Flexible tariff. I assume this is not as good as the most recent Octopus Go or Go Faster rates but it suits me for the time being because of the longer off peak periods.

A possible hypothesis for the preferential, seemingly mistaken, Octopus Go roll-overs could be that Octopus don’t have a ‘live’ dual rate variable tariff on which to default end of contract Go customers and therfore roll/over at the legacy rates is the only way for them to remain compliant with the regulations.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The problem with that theory is they do have a dual rate tariff people could be rolled over onto... that's the 28p on-peak / 7.5p off-peak tariff that you get if you sign up 'now'.

But I wonder if it's impossible to prove that tariff meets the price cap rules (because there's no half-hourly billing in the standard cap?) Err... your experience with EDF might validate that as an idea. How odd!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do the Ofgem energy supply ‘rules’/law allow a company to default you from a dual rate tariff (Octopus Go) to a single rate tariff (Octopus Flex).
My understanding, from reading the Ofgem regulations (although I am no contract lawyer) is that they can move you to the price cap (single tariff) rate if they have carried out their obligation to give you your options in good time before the end of your Fixed and you haven't responded. So, for example, if they send you your 45 day email and you do nothing, they can boot you onto the price cap.

They don't have to do that, however. They can unilaterally put you onto another fixed tariff, so long as it's no more expensive, although they are under no obligation to do this.

If they haven't sent you an email in good time before the end of the fixed (used to be 45 days) then they are in breach of their obligations, which is why some people have been rolled over. It does seem surprising that they keep making that 'mistake', though. One wonders if its deliberate for some reason.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, our account shows we will continue on the current Go Faster 5p/15.5p tariff for another year from May 17th.

Shame we’re moving a week later. And to a house with a single rate meter….Currently on Ecotricity. A house with oil fired central heating, dodgy single glazed windows and a thatched roof.

Long list of jobs to do, the first of which is to switch to Octopus and get them to install a SMETS2. Then it’ll be battery time to offset some of the daytime electricity cost and new windows.
No holidays or Christmas turkey for us this year!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only difference I can see from some people who are rolling over and myself is one tariff was called "Octopus Go 2018" and mine was "Octopus Go 2021" so maybe there were some different T&C hidden away that were important.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
We are going to be moving house in a few months, but it does seem to indicate on the Octopus website that you can move your tariff ... So it would be nice if I could keep our rolled-over Go Faster, but I may be an optimist!

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
980 Posts
Just had a renewal reminder from Octopus this morning with Go rates 34.48p / 7.5p and a Standing charge of 43.12p. So about double for my electricity costs. The Flexible Tariff 30.78p / 21.24p and a daily of 43.22p works out just a wee bit more overall. I haven't looked at what else they are offering, or other suppliers

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Just had a renewal reminder from Octopus this morning with Go rates 34.48p / 7.5p and a Standing charge of 43.12p. So about double for my electricity costs. The Flexible Tariff 30.78p / 21.24p and a daily of 43.22p works out just a wee bit more overall. I haven't looked at what else they are offering, or other suppliers
So you were not automatically rolled over?

I wonder what makes you different! Not in a rude way, just, it seems to be about 4 in 5 people get rolled over, and an unlucky few do not.

Do you care to disclose how you used the 'GO' tariff? Charging an EV? Or other overnight loads?

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
980 Posts
I'm a low user of electric, ie just lighting TV,PC, electric kettle and a toaster. Use the 4 hours cheap overnight to charge the car. Total KW usage is roughly 50/50 between house and car.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The only difference I can see from some people who are rolling over and myself is one tariff was called "Octopus Go 2018" and mine was "Octopus Go 2021" so maybe there were some different T&C hidden away that were important.
You may be onto something here. Maybe it’s a kind of (very generous) loyalty scheme, depending upon which year of smart Go or Go Faster tariff you were originally on?

I got the rollover in February. I was on previously (and am still on now) 2019 named rate……
Octopus Go Faster (5H from 2030) December 2019 v1
Fixed term ends 06/02/2023

So maybe the decider is which original tariff named version year you are (or were) on. maybe 2019 or earlier get the rollover?? (Maybe even 2020 too?). We need more data from folk to see if there is a pattern here. Peter

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What are the odds of being rolled over again next year 🤣
You never would have thunk that some on here are now on a tariff that was set (and then competitive) way back in 2018, and they now still have it right through to 2023! So just maybe next year……..? 🤔 Peter

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
32 Posts
You may be onto something here. Maybe it’s a kind of (very generous) loyalty scheme, depending upon which year of smart Go or Go Faster tariff you were originally on?

I got the rollover in February. I was on previously (and am still on now) 2019 named rate……
Octopus Go Faster (5H from 2030) December 2019 v1
Fixed term ends 06/02/2023

So maybe the decider is which original tariff named version year you are (or were) on. maybe 2019 or earlier get the rollover?? (Maybe even 2020 too?). We need more data from folk to see if there is a pattern here. Peter
My tariff is called Go May 2021 and I've just been rolled over. That said, I have been an Octopus customer since 2017.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Simply for the record:- I got moved to the new(-ish) Go rates (30.6/7.5p, 24.1p daily charge ). We use about 50% of the electricity at the reduced rate, mostly charging the car, but also running the dishwasher and washing machine.

I was originally on Octopus Go June 2018 before getting moved.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So it seems to be not related to time with Octopus, nor which year flavour of Go or Go faster.

I hate to say this of my fav energy supplier but it just seems the tariff renewal system is shambolic/random. Harsh words, but there seems to be no logic as to who gets it and who doesn’t. Maybe the number of new customer referrals achieved has an influence on it? I have quite a few (Thanks people!) Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
To contribute to the data collection:

Rolled over: Yes!
Tariff : June 18- 13.7pkwh peak 5p off peak
Joined octopus : January 2021
Referrals: 2
Usage: we had electric underfloor installed in our kitchen/diner last year so using up to 1400kw a month. No EV yet, but doing as much as we can in off peak hours e.g. Dishwasher/washing machine etc

Have I missed any other variables?

681 - 700 of 712 Posts