Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
741 - 760 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I followed the above reply from Octopus with another email asking for go faster rather than go. They sent me a link to Octopus Intelligent instead. Makes me think go faster might have been replaced by octopus intelligent. I need to speak to someone, as their email responses are curt and unhelpful.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
I followed the above reply from Octopus with another email asking for go faster rather than go. They sent me a link to Octopus Intelligent instead. Makes me think go faster might have been replaced by octopus intelligent. I need to speak to someone, as their email responses are curt and unhelpful.
My contract for Go ends mid September; I suspect I will get a punishing rate this time around. Intelligent very much appeals to me but I have a first series MG ZS which is likely to pose a problem because it needs to be kept awake. But with an ASHP 6 hours of warmth overnight will fill my hot water tank and heat the house to the point that it van be left running low for the rest of the day. Love to know how quickly they are rolling it out to those of us with budget EVs!

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,458 Posts
I don’t think go faster is being replaced. I think the issue you are encountering is just that Go Faster is still an invitation only special (minority) trial tariff. Surprisingly, some of their staff don’t even know it exists! I believe they do not have a dedicated trained department for customer support and almost anyone can answer any incoming questions. You need to phone in, and be directed to the smart tariff team I think.

When I was first trying to get on go faster at the start of last year, my emails were not getting resolved, so I phoned in. I got a super helpful girl who wasn’t even aware of go faster. However, she wouldn’t let it drop. She researched it whilst I was on the phone, and organised it via the smart tariffs team. I was on go faster the following day. Octopus certainly are different! Peter.

Go Faster is still listed in their current tariffs list…..
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Electric blue

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi, just got an email from Octopus about been late with the renewal notice email but only offering to extend my current tariff for an extra month. Once I am sent my new options I can then choose one. My tariff ends on June 14th and is Go faster. Should I call them and ask to remain on my current tariff for another year Or wait for the tariff options email?

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
354 Posts
I was on Go which ended May 15th and got similar email just a few days ago to say sorry they messed up and they were going to roll my contract over-to my original 13.8per Kwh day rate
5ppKwh 00.30-04.30am and Standing charge of 25pence per day.
May pay you to phone them and argue the toss and ask to stay on your old contract. Of course you could wait to see the rates they offer then phone them.
If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
Maybe go on OctopusEnergy Twitter or FB if you don’t get any joy. I know many have and got a result.
However, my contract was Octopus Go, not Go Faster and they may have different rules for contacting you late on Faster contracts.
I have also known people who sent email to Gregg the CEO and they got a result.

I’d be interested to hear how you got on. 👌

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
354 Posts
I have now received an email with a link to renew Go Faster at the new rate of 8.25p. I'm OK with that- still a good deal I think.
What day rate and standing charge have they offered you?

EDIT TO ADD
Literally just got another email from OctopusEnergy with confirmation of my Old Go rates + the following.

These Intelligent rates are awful and so is the standing daily charge. Still, I suppose someone has to pay for all those customers they’ve had to take on from the companies that went bust. 😟
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2021 Go ends on the 26th of June - and I have just had the end of tariff email and new 35/7.5 tariff as well.

Bit annoying as they had not given me a elec bill at all until last month then stung me with 10 months all in one go.

I think I am going to politely ask them to honour a rollover due to the lack of 45 days notice, any other suggestions on what I should write (ill be very very polite!!)

Cheers

Mike
Well - not good news. My very polite email was rebuffed - with the reasonable notice 45 days being challenged as changed by Ofcom in 2018...

They have offered me an extra month on my tariff before going to the 7.5/30....

6 weeks to hope that something happens in the energy market to bring prices down a little.. I am not hopeful!

Oh well, only another £1500 a year to find - who needs holidays anyway!!!!

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
202 Posts
Hi all,
I too got an email from Octopus on the 06/06 about them been late with the renewal notice email (my Go Faster ends on 17/06) but as well offering to extend my current tariff for only extra month "to give me plenty of time to make an informed decision". Then after they extended rates until 17/07 they sent me a notice with new increased Go rates on the 08/06.

So I responded to them that because they didn't notify me well in advance my rates should not be changing at all and should be rolled over for next 12 months rather just extended for one extra month. But they again responded they unable to extend 1 month extension any further. What they however said that 45(?) day Ofgem notice is no longer a law but Octopus "aim to give 20 days at least" which in my case they failed to observe.

So I send them another email (bold text) and got today their response (italic).
Hi XXXXX

Apologies for the slow response here. To answer each of your points:

Firstly I have not mentioned any Ofgem-regulated fixed notice in my email you seem to imply I did. I have only used 'well in advance' term that in fact you clarified for Octopus Energy is '20 days at least'. Therefore to me it is clear that you did not comply with your own terms and conditions for the end of the fixed contracts as your initial email was sent to me on 06/06/2022 so 10 days before my contract end date.
I do understand the renewal window was very tight, this is why we have extended your contract by a month to allow proper time to consider your options.

Secondly I consider extending my current rates for extra month as bending T&Cs to allow you to still provide 'reasonable notice' despite you have already acknowledged that error has been made in this matter so no 'reasonable notice' was provided in the first place.

This can be interpreted as you wish, but as we have extended your cheaper rates by a month, and not simply switched you with no notification, we consider you have received reasonable notice of renewal.

Finally today's (i.e. 08/06) email notice does not offer me like for like tariff and does not provide enough information regarding peak & off-peak times. I'm currently on Go Faster 5H2030 and I'm offered Go tariff with unknown peak/off-peak times. Therefore notice provided does not adhere to the Ofgem rules you kindly provided in your last email, specifically:

Go Faster slots change continually, and we have always defaulted to rolling prior Go Faster customers on to Go if they do not indicate they would like to remain on Go Faster. The peak/offpeak times for your new Go tariff are the standard ones as detailed on the Go tariff page here, i.e. 0030 - 0430.

"Contract change notices must contain information so consumers can understand what’s changing, when and why, what their rights and options are relating to the change, and what will happen if they don’t take any action (SLC 31I.2(b)).
In complying with this principle, suppliers must take a consumer’s characteristics into account, and (where appropriate) the consumer’s preferences too (SLC 31I.3)"

Per our renewal email, we confirmed your current rates, the rates we were keeping you on for an additional month, and comparison of the rates you would roll onto if you took no action, i.e. our current flexible tariff (which is protected by Ofgem's price cap).

We sent a more detailed email containing your renewal options to you on the 8th June, subject: FYI: Your Octopus Go fixed term is coming to an end. This contains more information on your option at the end of the extended month of your old prices.

Taking above into account I'm convinced I'm legally entitled for rolling over my current rates for next 12 months therefore I would like you to please reconsider this option again.

I'm sorry, but we cannot roll you onto 12 months of the same rates. We have extended your currently very cheap rates by a month, and have let you know what your options are at the end of that month.

I apologise that I'm currently not able to offer anything beyond this explanation.
Is it them or me unreasonable? My stance is they did not provide me required 'at least 20 days notice' and now trying to re-instate this by extending the current rate for 1 month and then giving me - now valid - notice. For me all this issue (and grounds for my complaint) is not about enough time for me to think which tariff / rate I will choose but rather about them not following their T&Cs regarding notices in the first place so they were late and therfore (to me) should roll me over for next 12 months.

I'm no lawyer so appreciate your opinions before I take this any further

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi all,
I too got an email from Octopus on the 06/06 about them been late with the renewal notice email (my Go Faster ends on 17/06) but as well offering to extend my current tariff for only extra month "to give me plenty of time to make an informed decision". Then after they extended rates until 17/07 they sent me a notice with new increased Go rates on the 08/06.

So I responded to them that because they didn't notify me well in advance my rates should not be changing at all and should be rolled over for next 12 months rather just extended for one extra month. But they again responded they unable to extend 1 month extension any further. What they however said that 45(?) day Ofgem notice is no longer a law but Octopus "aim to give 20 days at least" which in my case they failed to observe.

So I send them another email (bold text) and got today their response (italic).

Is it them or me unreasonable? My stance is they did not provide me required 'at least 20 days notice' and now trying to re-instate this by extending the current rate for 1 month and then giving me - now valid - notice. For me all this issue (and grounds for my complaint) is not about enough time for me to think which tariff / rate I will choose but rather about them not following their T&Cs regarding notices in the first place so they were late and therfore (to me) should roll me over for next 12 months.

I'm no lawyer so appreciate your opinions before I take this any further
Of course someone in contract law would be much better able to revise, but my guess is they have no obligation to create a new 12mo contract, as the term of the original one is explicitly 12mo. It might or might not be a good idea on their part to do it. They do have an obligation to tell you sufficiently far in advance any new rates. If 20 days is now deemed sufficient then they have now met that. Unless the original terms provided for an automatic 12month extension/renewal Your are always welcome to ask, but I am not sure you have any ground to force a renewal.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
1,031 Posts
I would have thought that giving you an extra month at the old rate during which you can make a decision going forward is perfectly reasonable. I doubt you would succeed in a challenge to this in attempting to get the renewal at the old rate.

Whilst I can sympathise since some seem to have been fortunate in getting renewals, I've just renewed mine at the new rates. Octopus are not a charity and need to be a viable business, or would you prefer they folded and you shunted elsewhere.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,458 Posts
I think we have to accept that this extremely lucky windfall of old rate rollovers really had to end sooner or later. It is not a thing anyone should now expect to get. I think many of us are surprised just how long it continued to run on for. Even getting a one month old rate extension is quite a reasonable goodwill gift IMHO. I don’t feel going in with all guns blazing is going to change anything now. I think the new rates just have to be sucked up and accepted now. Sorry but that’s my opinion anyway. Peter

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
202 Posts
They do have an obligation to tell you sufficiently far in advance any new rates. If 20 days is now deemed sufficient then they have now met that. Unless the original terms provided for an automatic 12month extension/renewal Your are always welcome to ask, but I am not sure you have any ground to force a renewal.
Many thanks for your advice. I have double checked their T&Cs and indeed there is no automatic renewal for next 12 months so as you pointed out there is no ground for me to roll over:

13.1 When your Fixed Rate Tariff ends, unless you choose to move onto a new Fixed Rate Tariff, or onto a Variable Rate Tariff or Time of Use Tariff, subject to availability at our discretion, we will automatically transfer you to either:
13.1.1 the cheapest Variable Rate Tariff; or
13.1.2 a Fixed Rate Tariff that is cheaper than (or as cheap as) our cheapest Variable Rate Tariff,
in each case calculated based on our estimate of your annual consumption and as appropriate for your payment method, meter type and other relevant account arrangements.
@prawlin & @artyman,
I think you got me wrong (because I got it wrong :))
I thought that roll overs others here had were due to potentially specific clause in T&Cs so when Octopus were late with notice then they had to renew for next 12 months (on old rates in that case). But as it looks it was only done at their discretion / good will etc as @Pmholling explained above. Regardless the price increase I still consider Octopus as the best supplier and I hope their new off-peak rate will still allow me to save some £££s while charging our EVs.

Now to decide which one to choose: Go Faster 5H I'm currently on or Intelligent Octopus?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Many thanks for your advice. I have double checked their T&Cs and indeed there is no automatic renewal for next 12 months so as you pointed out there is no ground for me to roll over:

@prawlin & @artyman,
I think you got me wrong (because I got it wrong :))
I thought that roll overs others here had were due to potentially specific clause in T&Cs so when Octopus were late with notice then they had to renew for next 12 months (on old rates in that case). But as it looks it was only done at their discretion / good will etc as @Pmholling explained above. Regardless the price increase I still consider Octopus as the best supplier and I hope their new off-peak rate will still allow me to save some £££s while charging our EVs.

Now to decide which one to choose: Go Faster 5H I'm currently on or Intelligent Octopus?
I would still politely ask for a bit each time you chat with them, you won’t end up any worse off and you might get someone who will want to and be able to give you something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you would have a better case if there was no notification and the fixed tariff lapsed, then they are going against their T&Cs as you are being moved to a new tariff with no notification and being unable to make an informed choice. 10 days is very late, but by extending a month you are now getting 40 days notice. So enough time I guess for you to make a call on what you want to do, the risk here is that by the time the 1 month extension ends they put up the prices again. As others have said the 12 month roll over is a one off and unlikely to be repeated.

·
jim5452
500 Posts
I have the feelng that there is a missunderstanding here concerning the T&C. The terms for GO and GOFASTER are the terms you signed when you clicked those three buttons the day you joined these tariffs. It is stated clearly that these are BETA tariffs and are not your normal tariffs, these appear to be designed to collect data on usage patterns

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
202 Posts
@james rogerson
Are you saying there are different T&Cs for Go and Go Faster? If so I'm not sure you are right as there are only one T&Cs on the website covering I think all tariffs.

·
jim5452
500 Posts
@james rogerson
Are you saying there are different T&Cs for Go and Go Faster? If so I'm not sure you are right as there are only one T&Cs on the website covering I think all tariffs.
When you sign up for Go or GO FASTER you are asked to read the T & C relating to the tariff you are going onto, they are divided into three sections and there is a button for each that you CLICK onto saying that you agree to the terms of each section. Which clearly explains the function and details of the difference between regular tariffs and the BETA tariff which you are going onto

741 - 760 of 791 Posts