Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
761 - 780 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
354 Posts
I've been offered the one month extension. If I say yes to the new contract will the new higher rate apply immediately or when my old contract ends?
I would expect that your new, higher rate will start at the end of the one month extension they have offered you. If it doesn’t and starts immediately you say yes, then it’s not a month extension is it. 🤔

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80
341 Posts
I've been unfortunately been caught by the (correct) new tariff. I also dared mention on the Octopus forums that people are still getting through and I felt this was unfair and got completely lambasted for it, so don't dare do that!

I think Octopus is a great company, and Greg has totally got the right idea, but do feel not been a good customer service experience to see so many stories of rollovers still when they have assured us the bug was fixed months ago, and questioning it you just get a 'tough titty' response. I think if anyone questions others getting rollovers on the same day/week as yourself then you too should be offered to roll over your tariff too. But on the Octopus forums I was definitely in the minority for holding that view!

Anyway I'm fortunate that I had the ball rolling on some solar and batteries so we've got them being installed 2 weeks after the new tariff, so in terms of monthlies on our bill it will massively drop, we just have the solar and batteries to pay for!

·
Registered
61 Posts
ive had my renewal email today, day 45 on the dot. Ive been offered standard 'go' even though I was on gofaster 4hrs from 20:30. Ive emailed the smart tariff team to see if I can stay on go faster, as it works best for us as a family. even though we'll be stung by the 33p day rate, atleast we have the option of eating after 20:30! tough times ahead. charging the car at 7.5p in the current environment has got to be a win whatever else is happening. complete loss leader for them now.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,458 Posts
ive had my renewal email today, day 45 on the dot. Ive been offered standard 'go' even though I was on gofaster 4hrs from 20:30. Ive emailed the smart tariff team to see if I can stay on go faster, as it works best for us as a family. even though we'll be stung by the 33p day rate, atleast we have the option of eating after 20:30! tough times ahead. charging the car at 7.5p in the current environment has got to be a win whatever else is happening. complete loss leader for them now.
Unfortunately I think the go faster earliest start slot is now 21:30. Peter

Reactions: james rogerson

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been unfortunately been caught by the (correct) new tariff. I also dared mention on the Octopus forums that people are still getting through and I felt this was unfair and got completely lambasted for it, so don't dare do that!

I think Octopus is a great company, and Greg has totally got the right idea, but do feel not been a good customer service experience to see so many stories of rollovers still when they have assured us the bug was fixed months ago, and questioning it you just get a 'tough titty' response. I think if anyone questions others getting rollovers on the same day/week as yourself then you too should be offered to roll over your tariff too. But on the Octopus forums I was definitely in the minority for holding that view!

Anyway I'm fortunate that I had the ball rolling on some solar and batteries so we've got them being installed 2 weeks after the new tariff, so in terms of monthlies on our bill it will massively drop, we just have the solar and batteries to pay for!
its really is better if you basically write the cost of the batteries and solar off, will help you feel good when the bills come in and its very low. Same as it ever was, if you've got capital, you can insulate from the market.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
202 Posts
ive had my renewal email today, day 45 on the dot.
As I've elaborated few posts earlier there is no '45 days' rule but instead 'reasonable notice' rule where Octopus "aim to give 20 days at least".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi, does the smart tariff team have a different email address? I responded to the email sent giving me the link to my available tariffs asking to remain on Go faster but not heard back.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi, does the smart tariff team have a different email address? I responded to the email sent giving me the link to my available tariffs asking to remain on Go faster but not heard back.
It's [email protected] I think. Peter

Reactions: Mbugsy18

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
seriously? ugh. its only an hour but thats actually going to be a complete pain. the wife boils the kettle for her tea at 20:31 most nights, love island at 9pm. Do they know the trouble they are causing here? :)
Joking aside, the new go tariff has an even bigger cost saving differential between the daytime and off peak rates. Prior to the energy crisis, it was typically just under 3 times cheaper on the 4h night rate. Now, on the new go rates it’s nearly 5 times cheaper! So your wife will be even more energy paranoid 😱.

With my Go faster, I often find myself holding off with the oven, washer, dryer etc use until after 8:30. I don’t worry about kettle use so much as although it is a very high power device, the actual on time is minuscule. Peter

Reactions: blueacid

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
731 Posts
I did the sums based on last years energy use and even on the new rates, we will still be cheaper than the price cap with Go. We managed to shift nearly 40% to the off peak rate but I think I can do better. The real shock is that the standing charge is £176 a year. Still small in comparison to the overall bill at roughly £2500 by my calculations but it still made me look and check I hadn’t messed up on the calculator!

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
I did the sums based on last years energy use and even on the new rates, we will still be cheaper than the price cap with Go. We managed to shift nearly 40% to the off peak rate but I think I can do better. The real shock is that the standing charge is £176 a year. Still small in comparison to the overall bill at roughly £2500 by my calculations but it still made me look and check I hadn’t messed up on the calculator!
It's going to be cheaper to heat my home by electric whilst I am still on the old Go tarrif until 22nd Jan, with the cost of heating oil being over £1/L.

·
Registered
MG5
880 Posts
Our gas has dropped right down as we use the microwave and air fryer
Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Number

Reactions: Mini

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Our gas has dropped right down as we use the microwave and air fryer View attachment 163405
I just bought an airfryer which is great for finishing off part baked rolls in a few minutes. (I'm fed up with paying 45p for a fresh roll or ciabatta, especially when they are not actually that fresh)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Joking aside, the new go tariff has an even bigger cost saving differential between the daytime and off peak rates. Prior to the energy crisis, it was typically just under 3 times cheaper on the 4h night rate. Now, on the new go rates it’s nearly 5 times cheaper! So your wife will be even more energy paranoid 😱.

With my Go faster, I often find myself holding off with the oven, washer, dryer etc use until after 8:30. I don’t worry about kettle use so much as although it is a very high power device, the actual on time is minuscule. Peter
Yep - I was doing the precise same thing. Now, I was happy to wait until 8:30 to start cooking some meals, but 9:30 is just a bit too far, so I'll be reverting to 7pmish!
I've also been pricing up a number of energy storage options, both domestic batteries, and resistive storage heaters (the high heat retention jobbies, though). My heating bill is the main killer, so if I can move any of that to off-peak, I'll be laughing!

It's going to be cheaper to heat my home by electric whilst I am still on the old Go tarrif until 22nd Jan, with the cost of heating oil being over £1/L.
Here's hoping those rates drop though, I'm not heated by oil, but I've watched the prices for it climbing steadily up.. eek! :(

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Have you seen the price of storage heaters? £670 for one, 2.83 kw heater and that's half price.

My property is wired for them from before the previous occupants switched over to oil.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
354 Posts
I just bought an airfryer which is great for finishing off part baked rolls in a few minutes. (I'm fed up with paying 45p for a fresh roll or ciabatta, especially when they are not actually that fresh)
We have 2 NEFF electric fan steam ovens and do all types of bread in them during the Go 4hr cheap rate.
Just mix the dough in the Kitchen Aid, let it proof up once, knock it down and pop it into the tins or stick it on a tray, pop it in the oven, set the timer and temperature and when to start/stop, set the amount of steam and go to bed.
We do all types of bread this way, including rolls, French sticks, Croissants and crispy bread rolls, works perfectly.
we have a big double decker Air fryer, but I’ve never thought of using it for rolls. Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Here’s some I made earlier. 🤗

Attachments

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
678 Posts
Is GoFaster still available? I have been on it for a year, but on renewal have only been offered Go or alternatively their variable rate. I really would prefer the pre-midnight start, rather than 00:30.

761 - 780 of 791 Posts