Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,057 Posts
I doubt they could renew your tariff for another 12 months without your explicit permission? They could however default you onto the standard variable (flex) one if you do nothing.

So is it better to ask for a renewal now and hope for a good outcome?
Peter
Do nothing. You have not received the 45 day notice email so you will rollover to another 12 months at the same rate.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,225 Posts
Do nothing. You have not received the 45 day notice email so you will rollover to another 12 months at the same rate.
Wow! I clearly hope that’s true! Thanks.
Do they indIcate this just before the actual day on the my account page? I’ll be watching it like a hawk. It’s a huge difference between my present rates and the listed new one! More than double. I will be super happy if it happens as discussed. If it goes up or they default me to the standard flex, I assume I would have grounds to complain as no advance warning received?

Peter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do they indIcate this just before the actual day on the my account page? I’ll be watching it like a hawk. It’s a huge difference between my present rates and the listed new one! More than double. I will be super happy if it happens as discussed. If it goes up or they default me to the standard flex, I assume I would have grounds to complain as no advance warning received?

Peter.
My renewal date is the 24 th of August is it worth a punt and enquire now and hope to get another 12 months from August or wait till the 45 days before the 24 th August and risk missing/not receiving the invitation from OCTOPUS 🤔

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55
1,057 Posts

Peter.
To your question - you will likely get an email two days before saying you'll roll onto the Go tariff. If you look at your account page at that point you will see the new tariff lined up ready to start. No guarantees, but given your renewal date that's the likely process.

Reactions: prawlin

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,006 Posts
OK, so, wow, and thanks very much Octopus!!

Seems I have rolled over onto the same deal. The dashboard no longer says 'your new tariff'.

I still want to wait for copper bottomed confirmation when the next bill comes out!

(On this basis, it looks like I might be leaving the gas heating off, from April! I get the same heating from 1 kWh into a resistive convection heater as I do from ~3kWh of gas.)

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Technology

·
Registered
469 Posts

Seems I have rolled over onto the same deal. The dashboard no longer says 'your new tariff'.

I still want to wait for copper bottomed confirmation when the next bill comes out!

(On this basis, it looks like I might be leaving the gas heating off, from April! I get the same heating from 1 kWh into a resistive convection heater as I do from ~3kWh of gas.)

View attachment 155603
Worth buying a storage heater!

·
33,006 Posts
Worth buying a storage heater!
It's called 'the house'! It's very well insulated.

I crank up the electric heaters in the evening and the house stays warm enough for me to the following day.

That being said, I do run a bit of gas heating during the day if it is chill. If the gas price shoots high then, yes, are there any portable storage heating systems? Any 'phase change' systems available at low cost that can hold the heat until the following day?

·
Registered
258 Posts
My renewal date is the 24 th of August is it worth a punt and enquire now and hope to get another 12 months from August or wait till the 45 days before the 24 th August and risk missing/not receiving the invitation from OCTOPUS 🤔
Also august, so particularly interested in this

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Is there an actual rule / law that states there has to be notice about the end of a tariff deal, and the renewal costs?
Yes - Ofgem regs, between 42 and 49 days from the end of the fixed term. They're allowed to auto renew you onto the SVT if you don't respond, but they HAVE to notify you that this is happening.

What seems to have happened is there's a bug in the Octopus system where the renewal email wasn't sent out in time, and Octopus have done the compliant (and financially-beneficial-for-their-customers!) thing of just rolling over the fixed term.

This is going to cause some consternation at Octopus HQ, because no doubt while they could be profitable selling energy at 5p/kWh overnight if they shift enough of your load out of the day time, there's no way they're profitably selling the day rate at 14p/kWh.

·
33,006 Posts
Yes - Ofgem regs, between 42 and 49 days from the end of the fixed term. They're allowed to auto renew you onto the SVT if you don't respond, but they HAVE to notify you that this is happening.

What seems to have happened is there's a bug in the Octopus system where the renewal email wasn't sent out in time, and Octopus have done the compliant (and financially-beneficial-for-their-customers!) thing of just rolling over the fixed term.

This is going to cause some consternation at Octopus HQ, because no doubt while they could be profitable selling energy at 5p/kWh overnight if they shift enough of your load out of the day time, there's no way they're profitably selling the day rate at 14p/kWh.
That is what I was figuring, and I gave them fair warning too, I called end Dec and said 'hey, not heard from you .. what's up' and they just said 'oh, it'll just roll over', so, hmm, mistake maybe but they don't seem to have been overly concerned to fix it.

I was all ready to go in guns blazing and demand OFCOM regulation stuff, but no need in the end, all was calm.

I mean ... perhaps the deal is simply that while all of us here navel gaze at our own little world filled with BEVs, reality is that very few customers are on the Dec 2019 Go Faster "v1" tariffs, so it's an accounting glitch for them.

Is it? Do we figure massively or are next to nothing on the rounding errors?

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (soon...)
240 Posts
Thing is, do we know how many customers are on the beta products like GO and GO Faster for it even to be an issue with them that they are not making a profit on us? It could be we are such an incredibly small number of customers that they just don't care. If they are making enough off the other normal punters on fixed or SVT, it may just show as a small blip in their numbers?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Well done @donald ! What a fantastic windfall! I think we are such relative small fry (smart tariff EV folk) they are not overly bothered. Clearly they are going to make a loss on these extended low rates, but I’m not arguing. I Won’t know till early February if I get it anyway). Fingers and toes crossed till then!

I mean they have recently been forced to take on a whopping half million extra customers which they clearly would not want as every single one will now be on the SVT and making them a huge loss! (Ex defunct Avro). So our minority of lossy smart tariffs will be a teeny problem compared to that lot. Frankly I don’t know how they are keeping afloat but I certainly hope they can ride out this storm. Peter

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I mean they have recently been forced to take on a whopping half million extra customers which they clearly would not want as every single one will now be on the SVT and making them a huge loss! (Ex defunct Avro). So our minority of lossy smart tariffs will be a teeny problem compared to that lot. Frankly I don’t know how they are keeping afloat but I certainly hope they can ride out this storm. Peter
Minor correction, they will not have been forced, they will have done the maths and figured that this is a worthwhile move for them.

The SoLR process is not by appointment but by bid - suppliers compete to get the customer base. Clearly Octopus has done the sums and figures a small loss now is worth it for more customers later, else they would not have submitted a bid.

This is why Bulb have gone into Special Administration instead - no supplier could fund ~2 million loss leading customers in the current crisis.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Just as a matter of interest, has anyone on Go/GoFaster tariffs received the 45 day tariff end notice? Or does this interesting situation apply to all of us so far? Peter

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Minor correction, they will not have been forced, they will have done the maths and figured that this is a worthwhile move for them.

The SoLR process is not by appointment but by bid - suppliers compete to get the customer base. Clearly Octopus has done the sums and figures a small loss now is worth it for more customers later, else they would not have submitted a bid.

This is why Bulb have gone into Special Administration instead - no supplier could fund ~2 million loss leading customers in the current crisis.
I see thanks. I didn’t know they had to bid, I thought it was just down to Ofcom to reallocate the defunct customers, and that the take up companies have no choice but accept them. I find it remarkable that they could afford to take them on SVT until April. Not to mention the huge amount of admin and customer support they will require during and after the transition. Peter.

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (soon...)
240 Posts
No they can effectively request their books before making a bid for the customers. I think Ofcome then decide which bid to accept.

The other thing to remember is that we are also a research/proof of concept for them. Dont under estimate the money they are willing to put into research. They will no doubt make great savings at some point knowing the behaviour of customers and their propensity to use ToU tariffs. We are also probably fuelling the Krakens AI models too, which when polished, they will sell to other companies. The big money is in data and what can be done with it to save or make money.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

I still want to wait for copper bottomed confirmation when the next bill comes out!…..
Rather than wait for your next statement, if you do the 'take me back to the old dashboard' thing on your my account web page, you can check the new tariff expiry date. Take a screen grab just in case too!
Peter

·
33,006 Posts
Rather than wait for your next statement, if you do the 'take me back to the old dashboard' thing on your my account web page, you can check the new tariff expiry date. Take a screen grab just in case too!
Peter
OK, thanks for the tip .. bingo!

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

(Doesn't quite make up for the loss I crystallised on my SIPpension today but, hey, I'll take what I can get when I am not too dumb enough to miss it... Is there about to be some major correction in the stock market?)

61 - 80 of 150 Posts