Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
781 - 791 of 791 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is GoFaster still available? I have been on it for a year, but on renewal have only been offered Go or alternatively their variable rate. I really would prefer the pre-midnight start, rather than 00:30.
It is. I rang up this week as my Go is about to expire and they are still offering Go Faster March 2022 tariffs, but you can't access direct from the website. Suggest you get in quick though, as it's a good certainty that the price cap is going up by another 50% in October, and they will be reviewing their tariffs soon I am sure.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
678 Posts
It is. I rang up this week as my Go is about to expire and they are still offering Go Faster March 2022 tariffs, but you can't access direct from the website. Suggest you get in quick though, as it's a good certainty that the price cap is going up by another 50% in October, and they will be reviewing their tariffs soon I am sure.
Thanks for that. I've just emailed the smart team to see if they can help (y)

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
We have 2 NEFF electric fan steam ovens and do all types of bread in them during the Go 4hr cheap rate.
Just mix the dough in the Kitchen Aid, let it proof up once, knock it down and pop it into the tins or stick it on a tray, pop it in the oven, set the timer and temperature and when to start/stop, set the amount of steam and go to bed.
We do all types of bread this way, including rolls, French sticks, Croissants and crispy bread rolls, works perfectly.
we have a big double decker Air fryer, but I’ve never thought of using it for rolls. Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Here’s some I made earlier. 🤗
Oh the serendipity of this forum!

I haven't tried the timing for baking bread, I would be a bit worried about it not rising right. But I will give it a go.

I can recommend Shipton Mill for flour if you have a bit of storage space or a tribe of hungry monsters.

I make a 40/60 Rye/White bread which is very tasty, but does need to be proved properly or will end up brick like. It is taking a while for 2 oldies to get through a big sack of Rye flour, but as you will appreciate home baked bread equals some of the very expensive stuff in premium bakers and supermarkets when we pay ~85p for an 800g loaf.

200g Rye Flour
300g White Flour
tsp dried yeast
tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
350 g water.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
354 Posts
Oh the serendipity of this forum!

I haven't tried the timing for baking bread, I would be a bit worried about it not rising right. But I will give it a go.
I’ve never had a problem about getting the second proof right, as you can see from the various pictures.
There is more than enough residual heat when I knock it down and put it into the tin for baking.
There is a setting on the oven that takes the oven to 40c for around 45 minutes prior to the oven going to full baking temp of 200c + or much higher if required.
The timing of the whole baking setting starts from when you want the second proofing to start then goes on from there.
The amount of steam injection can be varied on the system as well, so it’s pretty much bung it in and leave it.
The oven even vents the heat out when the oven turns off using a separate fan below the control, that ensures the loaf doesn’t go dry, but stays very crusty as shown in the pictures. 👌

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I wonder if Octopus would consider offering a split Go Faster.

7.30pm - 10pm at say 10-12.5p/kWh
10.30pm - 2am at 7.5p/kWh
Outside this - 133-150% rate of normal variable tariff

The benefit being for people who can shift some of their demand e.g. cooking into the late evening but not all of it.

·
Registered
252 Posts

The benefit being for people who can shift some of their demand e.g. cooking into the late evening but not all of it.
Or other flavours of that theme; perhaps with a peak from 4-7 (like Agile has) in exchange for a cheaper rate at other times? Presumably there's challenges regarding settlement before they offer this.

·
Registered
905 Posts
.. or go back to Agile.. As a flexible single currently on Go until September I'm keeping a close look at Agile prices and new wind farms coming on stream. I think the critical factor will be what the level of the Agile cap will be in October.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Prior to moving to Octopus GO we were with Green Energy and their TIDE tariff. This is exactly how this tri-tariff worked, with night, off-peak and peak rates.

So it's definitely possible.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
For those of us with heat pumps; this is the way to go. Just turn them off at peak times and rev them up at off peak just like storage heaters, In fact a combination of storage heater and heat pump might be an excellent solution from a grid perspective. Where the ashp system can be sized to be marginal with the benefit of just one or two storage heaters to top up the heat at the coldest times, allowing the air pump to be switched off at peak times.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,458 Posts

I don’t think they would offer such a split cheap rate on Go or Go Faster. My logic for this assumption is that the Go tariffs are specifically aimed at giving very attractive EV car charging preferential off peak rates. Thus promoting the take up of EVs. Using other appliances during the off peak slot is just a windfall bonus for EV owners. It is now an Octopus prerequisite to have a plug in car before even signing up to the Go tariffs.

Clearly, plug in cars can be set to automatically charge during a single cheap rate time slot. So there is no need for an intermediate pricing slot. You charge the EV on the cheap slot. Nobody would want to set a car to charge on an intermediate priced slot which would cost more than the existing cheap slot, surely?

I can see how folk with house batteries, ASHP, hot water stores etc could like an intermediate priced additional rate, but the Go tariffs are primarily all about plug in cars, which simply don’t need such an intermediate rate. So I reckon it’s unlikely to happen. Cheers. Peter

Reactions: tom66 and KDon
781 - 791 of 791 Posts